Best rechargeable "D" cell

HIDC

Banned
Tried Nexcell 9000mAH. Complete garbage from Thomas Distrib. They took care of it well though. Instead, I ordered in a bunch of 2AA->D adapters and that works well in the TK70 for playing.

357mag1

Enlightened
How long does the TK70 run on turbo exactly? On the TK70 thread a user gets an hour on turbo with the Imedion D cells. They might be LSD but that's interesting you get about an hour too on the 8000 mah Tenergys.

CyberCT,
Even though the Imedians are more expensive cells the Tenergy Centura in actual tests I've performed have almost identical capacities (around 8200mah or so). The only diference is the Centura cell maintains a higher voltage under load.

I've noticed the Tenergy cells are the only ones that seem to be honestly rated at this time.

CyberCT

Enlightened
I thought that in tests, the Imedions DID have around their rated capacity of 9,5000 mah. Under heavy load like with the TK70 it may be a little different, but for something with less of a heavy load they are good. In another thread, a user did get an hour runtime with the Imedions, did you get an hour with the Tenergy Centura?

The Tenergy Centura is 8,000 mah rated, but the Tenergy Permiums are not LSD and rated at 10,000 mah.

357mag1

Enlightened
I thought that in tests, the Imedions DID have around their rated capacity of 9,5000 mah. Under heavy load like with the TK70 it may be a little different, but for something with less of a heavy load they are good. In another thread, a user did get an hour runtime with the Imedions, did you get an hour with the Tenergy Centura?

The Tenergy Centura is 8,000 mah rated, but the Tenergy Permiums are not LSD and rated at 10,000 mah.

I've tried just about every D cell rechargable on the market. I have personally tested the Imedions and the ones I purchased from Thomas Distributing when tested with a 2amp load have tested around 8200-8400mah. That is identical to what I get with the Centura D cells.

I've tested the Tenergy Premiums too and they are the best D cells on the market in my opinion.

You are right that under heavier loads like the TK70 on Turbo the Tenergy cells do even better.

I can't speak to what others have claimed. I can only tell you I've spent a lot of money and time trying to find good quality D Nimh cells when real world use showed me the AccuEvolution cells that use to be great went to crap.

JudasD

Enlightened
I went with the Centuras based on 357mag1's testing comments and i am a happy camper! They hold great amounts of power! :thumbsup:

JD

CyberCT

Enlightened
I went with the Centuras based on 357mag1's testing comments and i am a happy camper! They hold great amounts of power! :thumbsup:

JD

The Centuras are LSD batteries am I correct? If I can't find good 32600 batteries that work well (I am interested in buying the TK70 for snorkeling) I might have to go with D cells. I hate to have the extra weight of NIMH instead of LION and I don't really want to use the extender for the 4th D cell but otherwise I like this light and need a good power source for turbo. I particularly wouldn't go snorkeling for much over an hour often anyway. I would think for D cells an LSD cell would be much better to have than a non-LSD cell. D cells take a lot more time and juice to charge than an AA cell so I'm thinking maybe LSD is the only way to go with D cells.

357mag1

Enlightened
The Centuras are LSD.

From the testing I've done so far even after 6 weeks on the shelf the Tenergy Premium cells still have over 9000mah of energy which is more than any of the LSD cells have fresh from my testing.
So it would really depend on how long you will leave them setting in a light.

Check novaeproducts.com for 32650 cells. They actually measure 70mm long and two power the TK70 fine. I just made a space to take up the extra room. All of my Novae cells tested over 5500mah after one cycle so they are fairly rated.

If you had a leak Nimh batteries would be safer than Lithium.

CyberCT

Enlightened
The Centuras are LSD.

From the testing I've done so far even after 6 weeks on the shelf the Tenergy Premium cells still have over 9000mah of energy which is more than any of the LSD cells have fresh from my testing.
So it would really depend on how long you will leave them setting in a light.

Check novaeproducts.com for 32650 cells. They actually measure 70mm long and two power the TK70 fine. I just made a space to take up the extra room. All of my Novae cells tested over 5500mah after one cycle so they are fairly rated.

If you had a leak Nimh batteries would be safer than Lithium.

Wait, you have the Novae 32650 cells? And you tested them in your TK70? Another user mentioned that he had those Novae batteries and on turbo his TK70 would stop working (because of the protection circuits I presume). I asked for more information and if he tested those batteries elsewhere, thinking maybe one of them was bad.
I was really disappointed because I thought I finally found 32650s for the TK70 so I could still use the 3D tube and have a lighter flashlight vs having the longer and heavier 4D tube.
Can you confirm you got the Novae 32650s to work in your TK70 on turbo mode? And if so, what was the runtime?

357mag1

Enlightened
Wait, you have the Novae 32650 cells? And you tested them in your TK70? Another user mentioned that he had those Novae batteries and on turbo his TK70 would stop working (because of the protection circuits I presume). I asked for more information and if he tested those batteries elsewhere, thinking maybe one of them was bad.
I was really disappointed because I thought I finally found 32650s for the TK70 so I could still use the 3D tube and have a lighter flashlight vs having the longer and heavier 4D tube.
Can you confirm you got the Novae 32650s to work in your TK70 on turbo mode? And if so, what was the runtime?

I have four of the Novae cells I received on 9Dec11 and just tried all four (2 at a time) in both of my TK70s. They power up and all modes including Turbo work.

Keep in mind the website quotes .6C as the max discharge rate and that works out to 3.3 amps. If I remember correctly the current draw with two cells was right around 4.7amps. That theorectically works out to over an hour of runtime.

As the cells get depleted and loose voltage the light will draw more current because it is regulated. At some point that could cause the protection circuit on the batteries to kick in. I've run one of my TK70s for 10-15 minutes on Turbo using two of these cells and didn't have any issues.

You might want to use the "Contact Us" button on their page as ask at what current draw is their circuit designed to operate.

Last edited:

CyberCT

Enlightened
Your reply to my quote might have gotten deleted by accident or something

CyberCT

Enlightened
Wow that's good news! Maybe the other user had a problem with one of his batteries and that's why they didn't work.

Could you perhaps try a runtime test with your TK70 on turbo mode and see how long it takes until the protection circuits kick in and the light turns off? You could submerge half the TK70 in cool water or something so the light doesn't get very hot. THat's what I've done with all my Fenix lights when doing runtime tests on my Eneloop and Imedion AAs, and 18650s. The lights are cool to the touch in the water once the light kicks down to a lesser mode.

If you actually get about an hour runtime on the Novae batteries I'll pull the trigger for a TK70 and those batteries ASAP. I'll have to make an adapter to charge the Novae 32650s in my PIla IBC charger.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put Imedion cells from Lighthound in my TK70 after using some old, cheap rechargeables. The Imedion cells are wonderful. They last a long time, and they don't lose much energy after storing them for awhile. The Imedion cells brought new life to my TK70. It's a new light again. I use a Maha charger.

357mag1

Enlightened
Wow that's good news! Maybe the other user had a problem with one of his batteries and that's why they didn't work.

Could you perhaps try a runtime test with your TK70 on turbo mode and see how long it takes until the protection circuits kick in and the light turns off? You could submerge half the TK70 in cool water or something so the light doesn't get very hot. THat's what I've done with all my Fenix lights when doing runtime tests on my Eneloop and Imedion AAs, and 18650s. The lights are cool to the touch in the water once the light kicks down to a lesser mode.

If you actually get about an hour runtime on the Novae batteries I'll pull the trigger for a TK70 and those batteries ASAP. I'll have to make an adapter to charge the Novae 32650s in my PIla IBC charger.

Unfortunately I don't have time to babysit the light to see when it kicks off the Turbo mode.

357mag1

Enlightened
I put Imedion cells from Lighthound in my TK70 after using some old, cheap rechargeables. The Imedion cells are wonderful. They last a long time, and they don't lose much energy after storing them for awhile. The Imedion cells brought new life to my TK70. It's a new light again. I use a Maha charger.

Hotwire,
If I already had the Imedions I would use them but they are over priced and not the best quality D cells out there.

CyberCT

Enlightened
Unfortunately I don't have time to babysit the light to see when it kicks off the Turbo mode.

:( I don't want to buy these cells and have the light kick down from turbo to high in anything less than 35 minutes at least.

JudasD

Enlightened
:( I don't want to buy these cells and have the light kick down from turbo to high in anything less than 35 minutes at least.

I would say just remove all doubt and get either the Tenergy Centuras or the Premiums. Cant go wrong with either.

JD

CyberCT

Enlightened
But I REALLY want a shorter, lighter flashlight. Plus I would only have to pay for the batteries since I can fabricate adapters to get them working in my Pila IBC.

If I go the D cell route, and plus a charger, it's going to be more expensive, and the flashlight will be heavier and longer.

CyberCT

Enlightened
So these are not LSD. I wonder how long the cells will have a charge until dead? If I charge them in early March should I expect them to be completely depleted in early April? I don't want to charge them each month just to keep them from being empty (which damages the cell, correct?)