Best SHTF/survival flashlight? And setup

ToyTank

Enlightened
IMO a small close quarter light with low setting and long runtimes is essential kit you can not do without. I have a zebralight SC51 on me and H51c in my bag. I like to stick with AA eneloops and one full set of energizer lithium. My CB and other kit use AAs.

If you have the extra space and weight capacity I think a really thrower like a short XML2 mag mod is best. P60 style lights get a get bit more throw but they will still be floody because of small reflector

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also wonder what OP means by SHTF. Because If faced with SHTF in an EXTREME sense your flashlight situation would have many viable options and be an inexpensive piece of the puzzle. Long storage food packets (expensive) and heat are HUGE obstacles! I consider the flashlight situation in SHTF almost as easy as your clothes situation (EASY). Almost unworthy of being in the SHTF conversation it's so easy. Food, far from easy

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree. Id rather have a fishing rod or my speargun than a flashlight in a shtf situation. Mankind have survived for ages with no flashlight. Not so long with no food :)

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SHTF light is a 6P with A19 extender, housing a Malkoff M61. I keep the extender attached, with a dummy cell, running 2x123's. This gives me full output of 235 lumens. However, I can do two other things: run 2xAA for decent, long running output, or remove the A19 and run 1x123 with the dummy cell, with reduced output and extending the useful life of my batteries.

I also wonder what OP means by SHTF. Because If faced with SHTF in an EXTREME sense your flashlight situation would have many viable options and be an inexpensive piece of the puzzle. Long storage food packets (expensive) and heat are HUGE obstacles! I consider the flashlight situation in SHTF almost as easy as your clothes situation (EASY). Almost unworthy of being in the SHTF conversation it's so easy. Food, far from easy

OP asked specifically about a SHTF flashlight, not about the basic necessities for survival. I find it appropriate conversation given this is a flashlight forum.

I'm sure there's a watch forum somewhere, where people are discussing the ultimate SHTF watch.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic

Agree. Id rather have a fishing rod or my speargun than a flashlight in a shtf situation. Mankind have survived for ages with no flashlight. Not so long with no food :)

Considering that Biologically clean water is more important than food and boiling water is a universally accepted method of killing bacteria and virii, I decided to try to start a fire with a flashlight reflector. The sky was slightly overcast but the sun was relatively strong, it was about 10:30 in the morning so the sun was still a little low in the sky. I tried two different reflectors, one 2 inches wide and shallow, and the other a 3 D mag which is almost 2 inches wide and a bit deeper.

I've seen youtube videos using a maglight reflector, so I know that it is possible. With the shallow reflector, it was going to be a cold day. With the maglight reflector, I got smoke but no fire. I don't have one of those zooms with an aspherical lens... I wonder how they would do?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
A simple magnifying glass works a lot better than a light's reflector if using the sun to start a fire...ask any number of historically popped ants, etc.

Of course, the way my luck goes typically, I'd need the fire when all the wood is wet due to the rain that hasn't stopped for the past week, etc....so, nothing dry to burn, and no sunlight to magnify, etc.

That's when whittling out some kindling/fatwood from a dead stump, etc...comes in handy, and caveman survival skills become very valuable. The Zippo mentioned earlier of course is a nice crutch I would not be above using in that sort of environment.

Boiling water kills stuff, but you do need something to boil it IN, like a pot, or, a skunk cabbage leaf...etc. Making a condensation still will help a lot, and if it IS raining, at least there's ways to get cleaner water.

I like my folding Cottonpicker solar charger, it can charge so much at a time its unreal.

Depending upon the LENGTH of the SHTF scenario, batteries, even if rechargeable, start to lose function over time. Most humans are not nocturnal, and, if you are being productive all day, you sleep at night, not hang out with flashlights, etc. Frankly, as much as I love my lights, a campfire is quite pleasant for that purpose anyway.

Enough food to carry through the INITIAL S hitting the fan is good...if you will be running for your life, etc.

If the scenario has you surviving where you started, at home for example, a very long term solution can be functional.

So, as pointed out, its a good idea to decide WHAT scenario(s) you are prepping for...and think about factors such as how portable and durable your stuff needs to be, and if a radiation or toxin issue might be involved (No steripen/boiling solution there), so that a still would be needed for clean/less deadly water, and so forth. Are you expecting ZOMBIES? Please don't, its fun, but unlikely enough that I think we can slip that one...and it can skew your prep in non-productive ways.

:D

Poppy

Flashaholic
A simple magnifying glass works a lot better than a light's reflector if using the sun to start a fire...ask any number of historically popped ants, etc.

So, as pointed out, its a good idea to decide WHAT scenario(s) you are prepping for...and think about factors such as how portable and durable your stuff needs to be, and if a radiation or toxin issue might be involved (No steripen/boiling solution there), so that a still would be needed for clean/less deadly water, and so forth. Are you expecting ZOMBIES? Please don't, its fun, but unlikely enough that I think we can slip that one...and it can skew your prep in non-productive ways.

:D
I agree... types of scenarios can vary greatly, and determine what kind of equipment would best serve the need/s.

For example a sun blocking event caused by volcanic eruptions, forest fires, asteroid impact, or nuclear winter, would reduce the effectivness of solar charging systems. I did a google search on... [thermoelectric usb charger] and found that there are a number of pots that can charge batteries while heating/boiling water, cooking food etc. serving two purposes at the same.

Oh boy TEEJ, you're right there are scenarios where a still is the only way to insure safe water. That would be an entirely different discussion... heating the water to less than boiling to eliminate the more volitile nasties, and then covering and recovering steam idk enough about that to make any recommendations.

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SHTF light is a 6P with A19 extender, housing a Malkoff M61. I keep the extender attached, with a dummy cell, running 2x123's. This gives me full output of 235 lumens. However, I can do two other things: run 2xAA for decent, long running output, or remove the A19 and run 1x123 with the dummy cell, with reduced output and extending the useful life of my batteries.

OP asked specifically about a SHTF flashlight, not about the basic necessities for survival. I find it appropriate conversation given this is a flashlight forum.

I'm sure there's a watch forum somewhere, where people are discussing the ultimate SHTF watch.
Than for SHTF all I would care about is the best runtime. But still for SHTF i'm way more concerned about my battery situation. In SHTF i'm totally unprepaired and screwed! Flashlight is about #150 on my SHTF check list, i'll be dead in a SHTF week haha

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatever you choose also get a pak lite, if you carry it without the nine volt battery it weighs less than 7 grams and is smaller than two sugar cubes. It will run for weeks on an old 9 volt battery scavenge from a smoke detector... one that needs to be replaced no less.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I think the 2AA Quark Pro XP-G2 is the best survival light. It will run a month continuously on the lowest setting which is just bright enough to see and not give away your position. It is around 250 lumens on high for spotting threats at a distance. It takes AAs so it's easy to find spare cheap batteries in an emergency. However, in any emergency, one light alone should never be relied on, no matter how reliable it is. It can still get lost, stolen, or the batteries can leak or explode leaving you with no light. Have a second light, preferably a headlight so you have your hands free to do tasks in the dark. A Fenix HL30 is a great emergency headlight and also takes AAs. Have plenty of spare batteries and a solar charger. I'd suggest for any emergency at least 3 sets of 1500+ charge AA Eneloop rechargeables for each light and a good solar charger such a the 7 watt Goal Zero charger and Guide 10 Plus charger or a Powerfilm 4AA solar charger. Your emergency backup if all this fails is fire. Under certain conditions if the SHTF, such as a CME or EMP, your lights may be rendered useless. Have a very good lighter and/or a beefy firesteel. I like the Firesteel.com Gobspark Armageddon firesteel with palm scraper and Bunker firesteels personally. Also have plenty of your favorite tinder. Cotton balls and petrolium jelly are cheap and work well. As for purifying water, I would not trust a steripen longterm. They often don't work when you need them the most. Trust me, I have 4. Get a Sawyer Squeeze filter for your group or a Lifestraw for each person. Consider a gravity filter for base camp as well. If water quality is expected to be very bad, get a Katadyn Pocket filter, a Carbon Cartridge, and a Steripen. Have chlorine dioxide water purification tablets as a backup. Your emergency option is boiling the water. If radiation is ever a concern, filter water through sand and gravel instead of boiling. No matter what you decide, always have a backup plan in case something goes wrong. In any emergency situation remember that something has already gone wrong and this will affect your preps right from the start.

Spork

Enlightened
All your gear could be taken away or stolen. Actually it may make you a target if someone sees you with something that looks valuable. I would think some basic survival skills could take you a long way as others have already mentioned.

For most other scenarios where civilization is still standing I think its a great idea to have some extra gadgets. We've had storms knock out power here for 1-2 weeks and a lot of people were not prepared because the power rarely goes out at all. In a city you forget how dark it can actually get. I must have close to 45 eneloops in various radios and flashlights. A weather radio should be a basic item every family should have. I also have a ccrane solar charger. Not something I would use on a regular basis but great for a extended power outage as I really don't want a generator.

I may pickup a few palights. These are really impressive with the locator light especially since they don't sell glow rings here and would be a great general use light as well. I would prefer them over a pak-lite because like with the photon type lights I don't care for the back spill. Actually the palight may end up being my gift light of choice for friends and family.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
What features make a good SHTF/survival light? And what flashlight do you think best fits this description? Optional: What batteries would you use in this flashlight?

Multimode 3D sized custom Maglite running LSD NiMHs, robust and invaluable as an impromptu impact device, D cells are common if it comes down to scrounging over a long term basis, realistically you would want to be limiting your use of a torch/flashlight depending on the situation as to not attract unwanted attention.

Hell you could even use it for signalling (should the situation warrant) long after mobile phones and other comm's devices have become less than useless...

Poppy

Flashaholic
Multimode 3D sized custom Maglite running LSD NiMHs, robust and invaluable as an impromptu impact device, D cells are common if it comes down to scrounging over a long term basis, realistically you would want to be limiting your use of a torch/flashlight depending on the situation as to not attract unwanted attention.

Hell you could even use it for signalling (should the situation warrant) long after mobile phones and other comm's devices have become less than useless...

Again... the TYPE of EVENT that put the person in a survival situation has not been stated. (hiding for weeks at a time, waiting for a rescue while at the bottom of a collapsed mine, or treking through the woods trying to get back to civilization)

As a survival tool, (in a treking situation) the 3D maglight may be better than a paklight in that it can be used as a container to boil water or to carry water. Granted I did the math and a 3D body will only hold about 7 Oz, but that is 7X as much as a single 18650 light. It doesn't have a rubber tail switch so it CAN be held above a fire and still hold water.
The reflector is larger and deeper and gives one a better chance at sucessfully starting a fire.
And as stated above a 3D mag can be used as a club, to dispatch wild life for food, or as a defense tool.
It can hold a 9 inch column of sand to act as a filter.

There are multiple youtube videos on how to use D cells to start a fire.

I imagine that you could use the same techniques to start a fire with a 18650 battery, but what if it is a PROTECTED battery?

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I imagine that you could use the same techniques to start a fire with a 18650 battery, but what if it is a PROTECTED battery?
Just remove the protection board in the- end, and voila, you got a unprotected cell.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Just remove the protection board in the- end, and voila, you got a unprotected cell.

Thanks jorn, That's what I was thinking. :thumbsup:
What happens when you short a protected cell?
The protection usually protects against shorting the cell, right?
Does it destroy the protector, and save the cell? OR does the protector not allow current to flow?

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If something triggers the protection, it switches off and cuts the current. I had some 18650's triggered from a short, and i had to put them in a charger to to switch it back on again.

I think i read somwhere here on cpf that you could also use a small battery to give them a quick shock to try switching the protection back on. But have never tested it.

larcal

Newly Enlightened
In reference to post # 3.

And now I see on youtube you can even recharge alkalines if you only do real low charge and for like an hour at a time with several hour gaps. Maybe use timer in the unlikely event that you still have ac. Problem with alkalines is heat blows the seals on ends. Made that way on purpose so you have to buy new ones. Who knew?

Last edited:

larcal

Newly Enlightened
Post #2, Jetbeam PA40 and post #3, Fenix LD41...........are pretty much the same. I love my Jetbeam PA40.

I think any light will work for SHTF scenario as long as it uses rechargeable batteries. And as long as the light you pick has a few modes so that you can turn it down and conserve battery power. For that reason AA lights and Eneloop rechargeables are proabably the simplest to deal with. You may also want a single AA light too (backup?) or easy pocket carry.

The question then boils down to how to get the batteries recharged if the power stays out for a long time. Personally I have a LaCrosse BC-700 charger and an adapter that converts 12v down to the 3v that the charger uses. That way any solar or vehicle power will keep me going. There are also some USB type of chargers and you can always get a 12v to usb adapter.

The Maha c9000 charger will run right off 12 volt. When renovating old or deficient batteries the maha and lacrosse each have their own advatages depending on the problem. can't remember the diff tho. Old amazon posts comparing the two read long ago