Best SHTF/survival flashlight? And setup

larcal

Newly Enlightened
I'd suggest for any emergency at least 3 sets of 1500+ charge AA Eneloop rechargeables for each light and a good solar charger such a the 7 watt Goal Zero charger and Guide 10 Plus charger or a Powerfilm 4AA solar charger.

Haven't really done the math but seems like with all these the watt output is pretty small and if you only have one or two days of sun in a week or need to keep moving you're going to need a larger panel and some way to restrict charge if do have mucho sun or just one battery. Maybe harbor freight 15 watt minimum

larcal

Newly Enlightened
Depending upon the LENGTH of the SHTF scenario, batteries, even if rechargeable, start to lose function over time. Most humans are not nocturnal, and, if you are being productive all day, you sleep at night, not hang out with flashlights, etc. Frankly, as much as I love my lights, a campfire is quite pleasant for that purpose anyway.

Maybe not nocturnal, but much of the year it's too dark to work by 5 pm.

True, humans have lived long without flashlights, but they had many advantages which you ain't got. Like a tribe, like abundant resources and a healthy earth, like superior health and a vast repository of skills.

Ideally, yes, you can work hard during the day and sleep when it is dark, but life ain't that simple, especially when you got no tribe. There are many situations that one can imagine when it is not possible or wise to be active during daylight but yet the work has to get done, and campfire light don't cut it.

So, for our times and the modern human, good lights that will persist long after China is gone and in country commerce non existent are essential. 17 trillion $ debt

larcal

Newly Enlightened
Seems to me that come crunch time and you're pissin into the wind what you really need as far as light goes is a very durable floody headlamp that runs at least on eneloops so can work with both hands. Not pure flood, and not all throw. As Eh4 has pointed out so well in his h51fc thread and as others have. Ideally, yes, a good hand torch for throw also but you can get pretty good at walking in the dark if good trails. What you really have to do is get a certain amount of work done in a 24 hour period that will at times have to be done under at least dusky if not dark conditions and using both hands saves so much energy.

So new to this but so far seems like only zebralight in h51f/52f is efficient enough, small enough, but durability is wanting and has that side switch and of course china/asia resupply.

Like what reppans has to say a lot about the Quark aax pro, It's transferability, but holding flash in your teeth gets old quick and is not floody. Good hand torch.

Is there a mount made that would enable one to mount a torch like the quark in middle of head and angle it?

Have tried the fenix torch strap but light comming from side of head doesn't put it where you need it and angle adjust clunky tho could live with that aspect.

Who else? We need the malkoff of headlamps! Anyone know of one? Asian okay if necessary if the durability is there. Ideally an xp-g or xml emitter with an end mounted and thus replaceable switch capable of running on 1 or 2 aa and drop proof, water resistant, field serviceable, compact and backup parts available now.

You know, if you could take a quark or fenix ld20 cause they have good emitters and only end mounted replaceable switches with the lens angled out so can mount on a forehead angle mount you'd be headed in the right direction. Then give it a memory like an ld22. An immense plus because on any given job you are just using one setting anyway and you may want to turn light on and off frequently to save juice and annoyance so would avoid all that clicking everytime you turn on. (one thing don't like about Zebra) failing that a way to turn on in medium one click. I.e, if a h51/52f had a memory all the button pushing would be more acceptable.

I don't know. Just sayin. There's a few questions buried in this rant if anyone is moved to look for them and comment. Cheers!

Last edited:

jwoolf

Newly Enlightened
SHTF scenerios abound....

For me, there are two types.... those that bug out and those that bug in. I'm the latter. I don't have a bug out plan but have a bug in plan but, I live out in the country... with my own well, ability to generate power and livestock and a garden.

I suppose I'll be the target of those that plan on bugging out from their suburbs or city.

My advice would be that if you plan on coming to my house for supplies, you better have more than a flashlight with you and you better be able to sustain a very long gun battle and, you better have your whole neighborhood with you because all my neighbors think like I do and there's only one way in or out.

Let's just hope it never comes to that because there are so many who don't have enough food to make it through the week on their own... a small farm with a well and power would look like disneyland if the SHTF..... No, in that situation, if I don't make it, I'll be buried here.... I don't want to live anywhere else.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ jwoolf's best SHTF/survival "flashlight" - a 25-power, night-vision, weapon-mountable scope...:D

jwoolf

Newly Enlightened
^^ jwoolf's best SHTF/survival "flashlight" - a 25-power, night-vision, weapon-mountable scope...:D
I may actually look at some NV at some point.... If for nothing else than hog/coyote hunting!

My sincere hope is that we NEVER need to worry about any of that...... But, I'm worried that we'll have a currency reset at some point and who knows what that will look like.

I always wanted to live in the country again. I grew up in the country. So, a couple of years ago I moved out to the country. I can WFH and maintain a technical job while keeping a small farm too.... about 50mi from a city, on a farm road 7mi from everything/anything.

I don't play golf and I started shooting competitively at 10yrs old on a smallbore team... now, I spend my "hobby" time at the loading bench trying to figure out how to shoot 3" groups at the 1000yd line or 7" groups at a mile.

FWIW, I have a 5.5-22x56 Nightforce NSX on one of my bolt guns... even better on my LONG range rig ( 375 CheyTac ), I have a 10-42x-80mm U.S. Optics SN-9!... for my little AR, I have an ACOG TN31 that is 4x32mm... and a Vortex 6-24x50mm on my M1A... just wish I did have that gen 4 NV option!!! :D

Last edited:

jimboutilier

Enlightened
...snip...

Like what reppans has to say a lot about the Quark aax pro, It's transferability, but holding flash in your teeth gets old quick and is not floody. Good hand torch.

Is there a mount made that would enable one to mount a torch like the quark in middle of head and angle it?

Have tried the fenix torch strap but light comming from side of head doesn't put it where you need it and angle adjust clunky tho could live with that aspect.

Who else? We need the malkoff of headlamps! Anyone know of one? Asian okay if necessary if the durability is there. Ideally an xp-g or xml emitter with an end mounted and thus replaceable switch capable of running on 1 or 2 aa and drop proof, water resistant, field serviceable, compact and backup parts available now.

...snip...

I don't know. Just sayin. There's a few questions buried in this rant if anyone is moved to look for them and comment. Cheers!

I'm with reppans with Quarks. One or more QPA2-Xs with some extra single AA tubes, a pile of Eneloops, and a portable solar charging system from the likes of powerfilm or goal zero and you've got almost perpetual light for many years.

If you take a look under accessories on the Foursevens website you will find a headlamp kit for Quarks (which includes a 90 degree optic and headband).

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of my lights run AA's (eneloops). I've got mains charger, car charger and solar charger options. My GHB has an E11 and HL21, plus an 8 pack of lithium AA's.

My EDC lights (this includes lights kept in the car) could give me light for weeks on lower modes, and enough on higher modes to do some S&R for a whole night if the situation required it.

There's little to no chance I or my family will be without light during a SHTF event. Nevertheless, when TSHTF, there's almost always something happens you can't foresee. I try to cover all bases with food stores, water stores and bug out plans and locations, but nothing is certain.

larcal

Newly Enlightened
I'm with reppans with Quarks. One or more QPA2-Xs with some extra single AA tubes, a pile of Eneloops, and a portable solar charging system from the likes of powerfilm or goal zero and you've got almost perpetual light for many years.

If you take a look under accessories on the Foursevens website you will find a headlamp kit for Quarks (which includes a 90 degree optic and headband).

Thanks but this drove me a little nuts. Searched thru long list of accessories 3x and can't find any headband that is made or even suited for quark 2aax. Just one called "360degree kit" which is for tiny cr123a cell lights etc so that can't be what you mean. What am I missing? Maybe has been discontinued?

Truly, an operational quark still running on Moonlight is vastly better to a broken walmart lamp of any type or having drained batteries but while we have a choice it is better to aim for an improvement is my theory.

Again, a hand torch is great and in many ways more convenient and fun but when life ceases being a recreational camp trip where you get to return to a grid powered house next week you are going to need a very good headlamp or the teeth of a horse.

Looked at Spark a little last night. Have a single aa ST5. A feature I like about that is it has a memory. Correct me if I'm wrong please, (i'm askin) but think with the Zebra H type you have a memory only with submodes of submodes. Geez. My experience with long term wearing of headlamps doing chores is often wandering back and forth to different places in yard or house with different needs and so you want to keep turning off and on. and you don't want 200 lumens hardly ever. So everytime with a zebra if just need 25 lumens you have to turn on then do multiple clicks or ramping to get back to a submode. With spark after memory set it's one click to 40 lumens.

Got a worse feeling with the spark tho as opposed to Zebra when talking durability which is the most important feature of course when peering thru the peculiar slant of this doomer thread. Just try finding a warranty on their site for one thing. But mainly just a feeling. Would appreciate more experienced or at least well read viewpoints on this aspect also.

Really, a quality built, floody, one or 2 aa headlamp with just one 25 lumen level (if that is right compromise in lumen levels, not sure) and a top level led would be the best. All this other stuff is just cause they don't make that.

Then if you had a good hand torch you'd really be smokin

Can't remember if surefire or streamlight makes a aa small floody mount. Will try and look that way soon. Then there's something called xtar at Goinggear. And see that Fenix has a hl22 out soon but no good info yet.

Last edited:

dml24

Newly Enlightened
From my limited knowledge of flashlights, I would say a good AA light with a long runtime low mode and a boatload of rechargeable AA's and a few packages of alkalines for backup. Having multiple flashlights is a good idea as well. Out of my dozen or so lights I own, if i had to pick one, it would be the Fenix LD41. It has good lumen spacing and the low (5 lumens) mode will run 160 hours.

Concur with Nightster on the Fenix LD41. Runs on easily obtained AA batteries. The low (5 lumen) is quite useful in a home, cabin, or tent setting.
The 520 lumen turbo setting will reach beyond 100 yards if needed.

The latest LD41 runs the U2 Cree LED and has a low of 10 lumens for 150 hours and a very good 85 lumen medium for 21 hrs. The powerhouse TK70 running 4XD cells will run 168 hours with 20 lumens and offers 300 lumens for 15 hrs. AA and D batteries are easily found in alkaline and NiMh types and can get anyone through an emergency.

18650s and 14500s are great batteries as long as one has a solar charging system if one expects a long term loss of electrical service or simply wants to be off the grid. Happy light shopping and Merry Christmas!! ;-)

larcal

Newly Enlightened
Most of my lights run AA's (eneloops). I've got mains charger, car charger and solar charger options. My GHB has an E11 and HL21, plus an 8 pack of lithium AA's.

My EDC lights (this includes lights kept in the car) could give me light for weeks on lower modes, and enough on higher modes to do some S&R for a whole night if the situation required it.

There's little to no chance I or my family will be without light during a SHTF event. Nevertheless, when TSHTF, there's almost always something happens you can't foresee. I try to cover all bases with food stores, water stores and bug out plans and locations, but nothing is certain.

I comend your accomplishment, Jash. To do all that is quite difficult. Just one observation though. Perhaps I misread you but think you're a little behind the times. "SHTF" is no longer an "event", it's a permanent lifestyle.

A lifestyle defined by a level of extreme poverty and lack of basic sustenance that is almost beyond current imagination.

Dig deeper.

Last edited:

larcal

Newly Enlightened
I may actually look at some NV at some point.... If for nothing else than hog/coyote hunting!

My sincere hope is that we NEVER need to worry about any of that...... But, I'm worried that we'll have a currency reset at some point and who knows what that will look like.

I always wanted to live in the country again. I grew up in the country. So, a couple of years ago I moved out to the country. I can WFH and maintain a technical job while keeping a small farm too.... about 50mi from a city, on a farm road 7mi from everything/anything.

I don't play golf and I started shooting competitively at 10yrs old on a smallbore team... now, I spend my "hobby" time at the loading bench trying to figure out how to shoot 3" groups at the 1000yd line or 7" groups at a mile.

FWIW, I have a 5.5-22x56 Nightforce NSX on one of my bolt guns... even better on my LONG range rig ( 375 CheyTac ), I have a 10-42x-80mm U.S. Optics SN-9!... for my little AR, I have an ACOG TN31 that is 4x32mm... and a Vortex 6-24x50mm on my M1A... just wish I did have that gen 4 NV option!!! :D

Huh. But when there's no gas for the gennie to keep your massive house batteries alive thru winter's dark or your charge controller has gone belly up and you're tryin to stitch your boots so you can get down the mountain and back before dawn to trade potatoes what headlamp is it that you're going to wish you'd got? is the point.

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've reconsidered my answer. Previously in this thread, I mentioned a Surefire 6P with M61, and A19 extender with dummy cell. While I think that's still a great, versatile setup, I think I might have changed my answer to a Surefire U2 Ultra. Great mode spacing, runtime measured in days on low (175 hours), and an adequate high mode (140 lumens) that throws well. Not to mention it's all controlled not by tailcap or side button, but a ring around the bezel so you can select your output level before turning on the light.

Also, I'm pretty sure it would run on 2xAA with an A19 extender. In fact, I'll try it when I get home tonight and post up here with the result.

edited to add: I'm going based on the assumption that in this scenario I've stocked up on primary CR123's, which in reality I have... making "scrounging for batteries" an uneccesary task. Heck, with a box of 72 Surefire batteries, you could run the U2 on low for 6300 hours, or 262 days straight.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks but this drove me a little nuts. Searched thru long list of accessories 3x and can't find any headband that is made or even suited for quark 2aax. Just one called "360degree kit" which is for tiny cr123a cell lights etc so that can't be what you mean. What am I missing? Maybe has been discontinued? ....

FWIW, I like running my Quark X on a single AA tube with 14500s or 3v CRAAs for EDC pocket-ability. Also makes it easier to scavenge AAAs and 9Vs with MacGyver tinfoil. I have several of the aftermarket headbands (Malkoff, Nitecore, Fenix, 47s prism) and would rate them in the same order. MK and NC mount on the top strap (NC maybe tight if you wear a large hat). However, as minimalist EDC type, I usually never have a headband when I need it, so I tend to use my walletable lantern diffuser and necklamp cord for hands-free most of the time (pix on my original post), or just clip and roll my light in my shirt collar under my ear for short term hands free... works for me.

jimboutilier

Enlightened
Haven't really done the math but seems like with all these the watt output is pretty small and if you only have one or two days of sun in a week or need to keep moving you're going to need a larger panel and some way to restrict charge if do have mucho sun or just one battery. Maybe harbor freight 15 watt minimum

Both the solar units I mentioned come with 4xAA NiMh Charger that will charge when needed and stop when full and can charge a set of 4 AAs from empty to full in a few hours (say 3-6 depending on charger and conditions) and can fasten easily to a backpack to charge on the go. Larger 15 watt panels can charge faster but start to be harder to use on the go. Obviously with any soler panel there is some risk of long term bad weather that can slow or preclude charging. But the powerfilm in particular charges even in bright overcast conditions and does not require full sunlight (although charging is faster as things get brighter). Depending on location and season you can likely top up several sets of batteries in one sunny day or fully charge 1.5 to 2 sets.

jimboutilier

Enlightened
Thanks but this drove me a little nuts. Searched thru long list of accessories 3x and can't find any headband that is made or even suited for quark 2aax. Just one called "360degree kit" which is for tiny cr123a cell lights etc so that can't be what you mean. What am I missing? Maybe has been discontinued?

Can't put a link but go to Foursevens.com, products, accessories, quark. Then scroll down to "prism kit".

larcal

Newly Enlightened
Both the solar units I mentioned come with 4xAA NiMh Charger that will charge when needed and stop when full and can charge a set of 4 AAs from empty to full in a few hours (say 3-6 depending on charger and conditions) and can fasten easily to a backpack to charge on the go. Larger 15 watt panels can charge faster but start to be harder to use on the go. Obviously with any soler panel there is some risk of long term bad weather that can slow or preclude charging. But the powerfilm in particular charges even in bright overcast conditions and does not require full sunlight (although charging is faster as things get brighter). Depending on location and season you can likely top up several sets of batteries in one sunny day or fully charge 1.5 to 2 sets.

Hah! Boy did that statement of mine about panel size come out of a fog! Duhhh. Fingers way faster then cognition. Sorry.

You're right. A single 2 amp/hour eneloop maxes under charge at about 1.45 so 3 watt/hours so only 12 watt/hrs for four batteries. 7 watt panel does 7 watt/hrs in hour so under 2 hours in full sun at perfect angle for 4 eneloops. Course such perfect angles/positioning rarely exists plus other inefficiencies causing losses but still, yeah, 4 hours on a sunny day to charge 4 aa's is likely if panel not tied to a pack or something

Think I better get one of those in case I have to go mobile, and I gather you think the Powerfilm is the best choice as far as efficiency. Do you own one or have you by any chance had a chance to compare it's output and/or apparent construction quality with the Goal zero or other brands?

Still, I hope to stay in one place with a house so in that case a 15 watt would be a wise addition for the many, many cloudy days. Or one could, with a sizable quanity of eneloops charge a winters supply up in the summer, as they have such a low self discharge.

Appreciate the clarification on the quark band and I picked that up also from reppans mention of a "prism kit" also. It's easy to miss since one is looking for a word or photo indicating headband. Oops,nodding out.

Last edited:

jimboutilier

Enlightened
Hah! Boy did that statement of mine about panel size come out of a fog! Duhhh. Fingers way faster then cognition. Sorry.

You're right. A single 2 amp/hour eneloop maxes under charge at about 1.45 so 3 watt/hours so only 12 watt/hrs for four batteries. 7 watt panel does 7 watt/hrs in hour so under 2 hours in full sun at perfect angle for 4 eneloops. Course such perfect angles/positioning rarely exists plus other inefficiencies causing losses but still, yeah, 4 hours on a sunny day to charge 4 aa's is likely if panel not tied to a pack or something

Think I better get one of those in case I have to go mobile, and I gather you think the Powerfilm is the best choice as far as efficiency. Do you own one or have you by any chance had a chance to compare it's output and/or apparent construction quality with the Goal zero or other brands?

Still, I hope to stay in one place with a house so in that case a 15 watt would be a wise addition for the many, many cloudy days. Or one could, with a sizable quanity of eneloops charge a winters supply up in the summer, as they have such a low self discharge.

Appreciate the clarification on the quark band and I picked that up also from reppans mention of a "prism kit" also. It's easy to miss since one is looking for a word or photo indicating headband. Oops,nodding out.

Yeah, Foursevens doesn't give their headlamp kit an obvious name. Sorry I did not include that the first time.

I have many levels of solar kits. Being in Colorado with over 300 sunny days a year it's a great option (although not an only option as you can always have an extended period of bad weather). I like the Powerfilm AA or AA+USB kits for pocket carry and their charging in less optimal conditions. I like the Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus kit for backpacking and such as it adds strong USB support for smartphones and tablets. I have a G0 Sherpa 50 setup for more extended camping outings. Then for emergency use in home/car/plane I have some Powerenz LiPo 16 and LiPo 48 setups and for pure home use a Wagan Powercube 1500. Tried a lot of solar stuff over the years but these are my favorites.

Goal Zero is great for their kits and strong sun performance. powerfilm is great for being lightweight and weak sun performance, and Powerenz is great for thier hard case LiPo kits. Goal zero has been having some huge sales this holiday season too. Sorry if this is a bit off topic but you can't run lights (or many other items) without power.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've reconsidered my answer. Previously in this thread, I mentioned a Surefire 6P with M61, and A19 extender with dummy cell. While I think that's still a great, versatile setup, I think I might have changed my answer to a Surefire U2 Ultra. Great mode spacing, runtime measured in days on low (175 hours), and an adequate high mode (140 lumens) that throws well. Not to mention it's all controlled not by tailcap or side button, but a ring around the bezel so you can select your output level before turning on the light.

Also, I'm pretty sure it would run on 2xAA with an A19 extender. In fact, I'll try it when I get home tonight and post up here with the result.

edited to add: I'm going based on the assumption that in this scenario I've stocked up on primary CR123's, which in reality I have... making "scrounging for batteries" an uneccesary task. Heck, with a box of 72 Surefire batteries, you could run the U2 on low for 6300 hours, or 262 days straight.

Update: the U2 will not work on 3 volts (neither 1 CR123 with dummy, nor 2xAA alkalines). It works well on 1x17670.

KayakerA

Newly Enlightened
PrincetonTec Attitude 4 AAA lithiums and Paclite.

The Attitude is light, easy to hold, won't roll, you can swim with it, drop it in water, and long battery life with lithiums. Plenty of light for working. I figure the last thing I want are specialized batteries, high output light that uses up batteries in a couple hours or something that isn't totally waterproof.

Last edited: