Bin Coding: Color, Flux and Vf Charts and Links for Popular White LEDs

kurni

Enlightened
Re: Bin Coding: Color, Flux, Vf Charts (LuxI/III/V/K2/Rebel, XR-E, SSC P4/Acriche, Os

Would someone clarify the labelling for SSC P4 please? I can see the compartments, but no labels.

Many thanks,
Kurni

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Bin Coding: Color, Flux, Vf Charts (LuxeonI-III- V-Rebel, XR-E, SSC P4, Ostar)

This is a question, but I have a question on how to determine the 2-letter bin of an Ostar, out of its entire number.

LE UW E3B-PZQZ-4C8F is what's on the label from Digikey.

From page 2 of OSTAR datasheet:
Ordering Information said:
Note:The above Type Numbers represent the order groups which include only a few brightness groups (see page 6 for explanation). Only one group will be shipped in each packing unit (there will be no mixing of two groups in each packing unit). E.g. LE UW E3B-PZQZ-4C8F means that only one group PZ, QX, QY or QZ will be shippable for any one packing unit.
In order to ensure availability, single brightness groups will not be orderable.

In a similar manner for colors where chromaticity coordinate groups are measured and binned, single chromaticity coordinate groups will be shipped in any one packing unit . E.g. LE UW E3B-PZQZ-4C8F means that only 1 chromaticity coordinate group -4C to -8F will be shippable (see page 5 for explanation).
In order to ensure availability, single chromaticity coordinate groups will not be orderable.

From Page 6 of the OSTAR datasheet:
Brightness Groups said:
Note:The standard shipping format for serial types includes a family group of only a few individual brightness groups. Individual brightness groups cannot be ordered.

Summary: What you receive will be luck of the draw, according to what Digikey has in stock.

-DF

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Bin Coding: Color, Flux, Vf Charts (LuxI/III/V/K2/Rebel, XR-E, SSC P4/Acriche, Os

Would someone clarify the labelling for SSC P4 please? I can see the compartments, but no labels.

Many thanks,
Kurni

Oops, my fault. :whistle: Should be fixed now. Thanks.

-DF

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bin Coding: Color, Flux, Vf Charts, Links (Luxeon, XLamp, SSC Z-Power/Acriche, Ostar)

Some charts altered for title formating. New Ostar chart added. Flux and Vf charts updated. Web links also added at the bottom of the first post.

-DF

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Bin Coding: Color, Flux, Vf Charts, Links (Luxeon, XLamp, SSC Z-Power/Acriche, Os

Thanks Bernie!

:thumbsup:

-DF

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Bin Coding: Color, Flux, Vf Charts, Links (Luxeon, XLamp, SSC Z-Power/Acriche, Os

Thanks for this thread DF!

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Some of the images are no longer displaying. Imageshack is not the most reliable image hosting service.

Perhaps the images could be hosted on a more reliable service / servers.

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast

Some of the images are no longer displaying. Imageshack is not the most reliable image hosting service.

Perhaps the images could be hosted on a more reliable service / servers.

Any recommendations? I've only ever used Imageshack, but admit that it does tax the nerves from time to time.

-DF

Calina

Enlightened

I think you have to connect to your account from time to time to keep it alive.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've had my uploaded pics 'disappear' for a period of time at Imageshack but always return when checked sometime later. :thinking:

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've had my uploaded pics 'disappear' for a period of time at Imageshack but always return when checked sometime later. :thinking:

Yep, same thing I experience. I guess just server overload at that time. :shrug:

-DF

jmizzlefoshizzle

Newly Enlightened

Can you give me a simplified order of brightness in general for the various types of LED's. 123456 and so on? I cant understand all of the charts and numbers. I'm a newbie to the world of light. Thanks:twothumbs

Marduke

Flashaholic

Can you give me a simplified order of brightness in general for the various types of LED's. 123456 and so on? I cant understand all of the charts and numbers. I'm a newbie to the world of light. Thanks:twothumbs

They have a pretty good rundown in the Welcome Mat.

In short, the Cree XR-E series, the Luxeon Rebel series, and the Seoul SemiConductor (SSC) P4 series are the common, higher efficiency, high power LED's.

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as listing 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6...100,000. However, once you get a grasp of madness behind binning and the codes each manufacturer uses, the "flux" chart in post #1 will pretty much answer your question.

If I get some free time in the next couple weeks, I'll try to update the charts again...

-DF

X_Marine

Enlightened

Well I have most saved and printed and after a cpl years it is actually making more sense.

Now I need to do a simple color bar in PS with a vague ref to Cool/Neutral/Warm and ask you to label it for me.
That gets used loosely and sometimes in contradiction I believe simply from a lack of understanding. It always seems backward to me.

Ok I gave it a stab in my delirious state.. lol

Cool_Warm_colors.jpg

Let me if this is close and I'll do a better ver and post to PhotoBucket.

Thanks again for putting this together, excellent reference. :thumbsup:
X/BillyD..

kurni

Enlightened
Sunlight vs. Cree 5A Q2 vs. RB100

Ignore the post below the red line

I have just overloaded myself with CRI thread, and I know now that my findings and photos were inaccurate. I am leaving them here however to show you where not to go, as well as raising the topic because it is relevant. I do not want to discuss CRI here because this thread is not about CRI.

• I tried to argue that Cree bins between 3A and 5A would provide near-perfect colour rendition. Although I didn't utter the term "colour rendition", that was what I actually meant. I have learnt from the thread that my argument was false.
  • I relied on photos to support my argument. I have learnt from the thread this method was misleading.
  • I relied on 1 object with a very limited colour range to deduce the quality of various lights (5A, sunlight, RB100). I have learnt that this method was false. Just now I used different objects and deduced different conclusions.
The only argument that I am making right now is that my previous argument is false. I cannot put forward any other arguments because CRI is too complex for me to understand; at least for now.

Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead any of you; I didn't know any better.

========================

I don't know what bin my P2D RB100 is; but my Dereelight is 5A Q2

Dereelight, sunlight, RB100
bright.jpg

Underexposed
dim.jpg

Comparison
compare.jpg

To my surprise sunlight has more red than 5A or sunlight has less green than 5A. Obviously sunlight has more blue than 5A; this finding shifted my preference from warm white to natural white. Originally I though 5A is not as warm as sunlight but apparently it's too warm.

Do you think Cree 3A would be closer to sunlight?

PS: it's amazing how far the sun is without any reflector; when compared to what-we-thought-to-be-the-great-LED-technology with smooth reflector at around 10-20cm from the object.

Many thanks,
Kurni

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic

Very interesting and helpful thread.

Thank you to everyone for your time and efforts.

:twothumbs

:goodjob:
_

jashhash

Enlightened

We all know that LED efficiency is decreased as drive current is increased. The fact that All these LED manufacturers bin their LED's at different driving currents means the reported efficiency data is incomparable from one LED to the next. In an ideal situation all LED's should recieve an efficiency calculation at a specified current like 100mA for example.