Blue and Yellow Laser Pointers

rwolff

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]

One last thing, I have asked many people about this and got mixed responses, is a white laser possible??

[/ QUOTE ]

Short answer: No (the "white laser" referred to earlier is actually a mix of red and yellow-green).

Long answer: Lasers have ridiculously low dispersion (if someone were to shine a laser on the moon, the "spot" would be about 1/4 mile across) because they use monochromatic (all one wavelength - that's why people talk about the wavelength in addition to the colour) coherent (all the waves are in phase) light. White light involves light of all colours, and you can't get coherent light if you've got multiple wavelengths (due to the different wavelengths, they quickly get out of phase).

The name "laser" comes from "(L)ight (A)mplification by (S)timulated (E)mission of (R)adiation" - your lasing medium (gas, ruby rod, or diode) receives energy (electrical or photoflash) to put the atoms in a high-energy state. Some will fall back to a low-energy state, giving off a photon in the process (wavelength determined by energy difference of the 2 states). Mirrors (parallel cleaved surfaces in a laser diode) reflect the light back and forth inside the lasing medium. If a photon hits an "excited" atom, it is absorbed and two photons are emitted as the atom drops to the low-energy state - this is the "stimulated emission" in the name. Both of these photons will be identical in wavelength, polarization, and phase.

Here's an analogy: think of "wavelength" as the length of a person's stride, "direction of travel" as which direction they're walking, and "phase" as how far into their stride they are (treat "right foot hits ground" as the start).

White light: Bunch of people (ranging from midgets to basketball players) walking in the same general direction.

Monochromatic non-coherent light (like a normal LED): Bunch of clones (i.e. everyone the same height) walking in the same general direction.

Laser beam: An army of clones marching in step.

laserman2000

Newly Enlightened
I still can't find were they sell this one pictured here, even at cost I would like to find a dealer. I have found only large moduels. Not handheld moduels. PS, that is a beutiful color for a laser beam. That would be 473nm right? (http://safeco2.home.att.net/blulaser.jpg)
blulaser.jpg

laserman2000

Newly Enlightened
Do you know the company that makes it or which user on
e-bay ? I really want one! Did you get the photograph from ebay itself?

laserman2000

Newly Enlightened
Are all blue laser pointers 473nm? What are the upper and lower limits of the visible spectrum. Would 800nm, or 300nm be invisible??

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
laserman2000 said:
Do you know the company that makes it or which user on
e-bay ? I really want one! Did you get the photograph from ebay itself?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know any more than what's on the web page that photograph is posted on.
I'm not sure where that photograph came from, but I'm reasonably certain I received permission to use it, as I do make it a point to ask about such things.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
laserman2000 said:
Are all blue laser pointers 473nm? What are the upper and lower limits of the visible spectrum. Would 800nm, or 300nm be invisible??

[/ QUOTE ]
All DPSS blue laser pointers are 473nm.
You can get directly-injected laser diodes that emit at 440nm and ~405nm; but these are much more costly than DPSS blue lasers of similar power output.

The visible range is generally known to be in the range of 400nm to 700nm. Visibility is possible outside this range, but not a whole lot outside. 380nm to 740nm is a realistic range.
So for all intents and purposes, 300nm and 800nm would indeed be invisible.

liteglow

Enlightened
What is the "blue" lasers that the LASER SHOW industry use ?
They are more like "cyan" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
But there is also blue color .. yes?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
liteglow said:
What is the "blue" lasers that the LASER SHOW industry use ?
They are more like "cyan" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
But there is also blue color .. yes?

[/ QUOTE ]
Typically, the blue laser used in laser shows is an argon ion laser, with a primary laser line at 488nm. This is a bluish cyan color. Argon ion lasers can produce multiple wavelengths, probably accounting for the deeper blue wavelengths you might see in such a display.

LED-FX

Enlightened
Quote:

One last thing, I have asked many people about this and got mixed responses, is a white laser possible??

Short answer: No (the "white laser" referred to earlier is actually a mix of red and yellow-green).

The light from the sun or filament lamp is what might be thought of as `full spectrum` white, it contains light at all wavelngths through the visible spectrum.

Just about nothing else is truly, in that sense, white.

Monitor your reading this on creates white from Red Green and Bluee phosphors or filters on a TFT screen, same with your TV.

White LEDs use a blue LED with a phosphor layer adding yellow to create the appearance of white.

White light lasers like the Argon/Krypton Coherent Purelight and others, use Argon for a blue and green and Krpyton for Red.

The solid state white lights use DPSS Blue and Green and directly injected diode for Red.

Strangley while low power diode Red lasers are the easisest to manufacture , high power solid state red is the very hardest which is why high power solid state white light lasers are extremely rare.

Are all blue laser pointers 473nm?

Directly injected diode blue comes in at 405nM, but its getting hard to see.

What are the upper and lower limits of the visible spectrum. Would 800nm, or 300nm be invisible??

Like hearing some peoples eyes are better than others, but few people will see anything below 400nM or much above 700nM.

Adam

Spec

Newly Enlightened
That blue pointer sold for over $1200 2 years ago and the price has not come down any. What you dont see in the image is the wires running to the power supply.

http://www.nichia.com/ makes a direct injection blue diode, and all you have to do is buy a $23USD red pointer from atlasnova.com and buy the $1000 diode and driver board from nichia and there ya go, a 3-4mW blue handheld laser.

This "portable/handheld" fetish some of you guys have is quite ...interesting...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The directly injected blue laser diode (the 440nm one) originally sold for $3,000.00 each when they first came out.
So the price really did drop if they're only $1,000.00 now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Spec ... this portable thing ... think of it just like the difference between a household bulb and a flashlight ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

P.S.: and besides, for guys who actually use their "pointers" as such, being portable is a must ...

laserman2000

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't wan't to carry a moduel everywere with me, it isn't practical, a pointer is a must.

Bond007

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
laserman2000 said:
I wouldn't wan't to carry a moduel everywere with me, it isn't practical, a pointer is a must.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

liteglow

Enlightened
Leadlight is more than i need for handheld !
Just "pointing" with laser is just not fun after doing it for 2 months..
Then u understand that there is alot of more stuff to do with a module /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I`m building a galvo scanner system now, and then a module is a must /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and there is alot more fun to do with a module that are 150-200mW .. then just a pointer 5mW-50mW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

hmm i think this is abit off-topic sorry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bond007

Newly Enlightened
Well personally, my lasers are for two purposes.

One is that I love the night sky but I also use my lasers for my university study skills presentations. With my last laser I could actually point at the screen from the BACK of the theatre whilst walking around with the microphone explaining my stuff.

Thing is, when I got my 40-50mw I was actually excited (and so not at all nervous) about doing the presentation. It made me feel alot better especially as the guy before me had used a key chain red pointer, I felt confident that I could do my thing and everybody would take notice.

The first presentation I did with the 40-50mw I scored 97% /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

liteglow

Enlightened
Bond007: Sweet you`r the only one i heard about that actually using the pointer to "point" at stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

it must be so cool to use a green 40mW laser at a shcool ore something !
I guess the children\study people will be quiet right away and just watch the green beam passing over their heads /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bond007

Newly Enlightened
Well, they are all the same age as me as we're all doing the same thing (second year of masters degree in maths).

It's good to have that confidence though, I'm desperate to get hold of a PGL 3 for the same reason, I would just love to beam at the big screen with that thing.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Latest posts