Body for Surefire 6P parts

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found two body's. I will se if I bore them. One alternative is to use 16650, maybe fit without any boring? Or bore for 17650 battery.

I have a stock 6P that works with 17650 cells just fine no need to bore out the battery tube, oddly enough my Streamlight LED Scorpion will fit the same cell but the Xenon variant will not (I just swap the battery tube instead) 👍

DE73

Newly Enlightened
I have decided not to bore them.
The edge around the bezel is really thin.
No problem to disassemble it because the original bezel ring in plastic is flexible. I think it will be harder to assemble the new one in steel. The bezel ring is purchased around 2010 from Oveready. Now I only need a new lens.

michaex

Enlightened
I have SF Z17 press fit ones. If you want to give it a try, shoot me a PM. Diameter looks close enough ;)

DE73

Newly Enlightened
Expensive weekend

Attachments

• IMG_6089.jpeg
    IMG_6089.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 62

DE73

Newly Enlightened
that is the perfect example why I hate the hex cap,
and simply dont understand what was the thinking behind switching to them.
:(
An old round head light can slip out of your hand and land on concrete, on the rim, and will not be bent (at least almost not)
while that flimsy crap can be bent already when one is unlucky and has the light + a few hard other things, loose in a backpack
(that really happened to someone I recommended a 6 P as being "so robust")

in short: if You have a hex head, ALWAYS install a protection bezel ring
(they also once had other colors, metals + cheaper delrin ones in black and white ...)

PS: I guess when getting the original bezel ring out + tapping while unscewing with a light hammer (+ when installing the full bezel ring), that head can get near round again ...

PPS: it helps greatly to improve the thermal path, if You warp copper/aluminium tape at the base of the insert. Really tight, so that it just barely fits in.
View attachment 51899
PS: and sometimes the batteries have a label sticker, or a double layer of shrink warp (a labeled + a transparent outer one),
removing the outside often makes the difference when a battery does not fit
Do you think this battery is safe to unwrap? I have to press it in to the body. I guessing that the heat make the battery bigger also so it feels to tight.

Attachments

• IMG_6091.jpeg
    IMG_6091.jpeg
    334.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has no sticker that could removed,
Shrink wrap seems to be just one layer,
that is one cell that simply does not fit
(remember make and maker and don't purchase these anymore for this light)

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or, as it just fits in:
roll it on Your bench,
maybe use warm air from a hair dryer while ...
possibly could give the .001 mm "needed"
;-)

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you think this battery is safe to unwrap? I have to press it in to the body. I guessing that the heat make the battery bigger also so it feels to tight.
17650 batteries will fit in standard Surefire 6P bodies, the 18650 will only fit if the body is bored.

DE73

Newly Enlightened
17650 batteries will fit in standard Surefire 6P bodies, the 18650 will only fit if the body is bored.
I have one 6P bored to 18,6 mm by Oveready 2010. But the 18650 tend to be bigger and bigger.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using the cheap 18650 6P replacement body for a while now and I'm really pleased with it. It has the same body style as the original 6P but is a little longer to accommodate the 18650 battery. The original Surefire parts fit the replacement body well and the body also works with the same suppliers Single Cell extender which is also bored to use 18mm cells.

IMG_7096.jpeg

L-R Surefire 6P Classic, 6P Replacement 18650 body and Surefire 6P Original for comparison.

DE73

Newly Enlightened
I've been using the cheap 18650 6P replacement body for a while now and I'm really pleased with it. It has the same body style as the original 6P but is a little longer to accommodate the 18650 battery. The original Surefire parts fit the replacement body well and the body also works with the same suppliers Single Cell extender which is also bored to use 18mm cells.

View attachment 52341

L-R Surefire 6P Classic, 6P Replacement 18650 body and Surefire 6P Original for comparison.
The two Surfire body's also came with one G&B tail cap and bezel. Yesterday I received a cheep no name body from aliexpress to have one more complete light. The machining and anodising looks really nice. It's also bored to 18,85 which should be ok for all 18650 batteries.

Attachments

• IMG_6108.jpeg
    IMG_6108.jpeg
    323.1 KB · Views: 50

DE73

Newly Enlightened
I have decided not to bore them.
The edge around the bezel is really thin.
No problem to disassemble it because the original bezel ring in plastic is flexible. I think it will be harder to assemble the new one in steel. The bezel ring is purchased around 2010 from Oveready. Now I only need a new lens.
I forgot the picture. I'm just waiting for the new lens to arrive.

Attachments

• IMG_6080.jpeg
    IMG_6080.jpeg
    708.1 KB · Views: 57

DE73

Newly Enlightened
Then I found these parts at eBay 2023.

Attachments

• IMG_5770.jpeg
    IMG_5770.jpeg
    274.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

DE73

Newly Enlightened
I like the beaten up look of this light. 100% functionality but you don't need to care about dings and scratches. Little bit difficult to assembly the new lens and bezel ring because the head was not round. I haven't decided if I should change to macclicky. The lumens factory was a big upgrade over the original Surefire P60 incandescent. I really like the LF warm tint.

Attachments

• IMG_6155.jpeg
    IMG_6155.jpeg
    529.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6154.jpeg
    IMG_6154.jpeg
    322 KB · Views: 41