Bowling?

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
we oil at my center umm... mon, tues, wed, thurs and sun. for summer, in the fall when all of our busy leagues start we oil every day and possibly twice in a day for a couple days.

if you guys are only the second league on fresh oil, they should be pretty decent. One thing you may have is that the center cut back the amount of oil they are putting out because it's the slow time of the year for bowling.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Sorry if it bugs anyone that I dredge this up again...

I bowled 2/3rds out of my Gord tonight. 202, 140 & 191. I'm bowling with a great couple of guys on this league too!

For next week I'll have a 150 average with a 50 handicap. Hope I can live up to it!

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good games. I hope scores are scratch. Wow, that's a huge handicap. Must irritate the hell out of the really good bowlers.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
They are scratch Billson. I'd never consider fluffing it up!

Handicap is based on average plus handicap = 200. The best bowler on our team set a 197 the first week. He had a 183avg last night. 3 handicap up to 17.

Back in Houston with 20 teams or so it might cause problems. But in out little podunk 6 team league it's all fun and games!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Dredging up old thread again...

I had a decent Tuesday night! 198 (clean right up to tenth frame and left the ten pin standing - ARGH!), 183 and then 140 as I was running on empty that third game!

My second best series of this Summer league!

Two weeks remaining, and I will have a 152avg next week.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Crud! I tried to post last night but CPF was goofy....

I had a clean game for the first one. Lotta strikes and picked up my spares. 249 (97 pins over average!).

Now I had pulled something in my right shoulder yesterday, and wasn't expecting much.

Second game was 151, third was 179.

My average jumps 4 pins for next wekk, the final week of this series.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Last post dealing with the summer league.

This week wasn't really a worthy sucessor to last week, but not TOO bad...

205, 148 and 160 for a 513 series and 171 Avg. for the night.

I got two patches tonight. A 200 game patch and a 75 pins over average patch. Of course I missed a 250 patch by one stinkin' pin (and they don't have a 225) and my 249 was actually 97 pins over average.

Next monday night we have a meeting for the fall league, and a week later we start up.

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The good news... I got high game in a league and high series in a league pins, and 40 bucks prize money.

The Bad news. I set a 191 average last night for the fall league.

The WORST news. I bowled a 168 average on the same lane pair tonight for no tap sweeps. Didn't EVEN place...

And we are gonna be in this fall league until May... eek!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
UGH!

The lanes were reported by some to be very dry. All I know is doing the exact same throw, but missing a couple inches: Right it went straight missing the head pin by several. Left it crossed and either clobbered the head pin for a split or MAYBE getting a Brooklyn strike. But not very often!

120, 122 and 135 tonight, and not many bowlers were doing much better.

Al least next week I'll get a 66 handicap over the 58 this week.

We are the scend league to use the lanes in a new week. As I understand it, the lanes are worked over on Sunday. Therefor this may become quite normal!

UGH!

WOW! On Tuesday night sweeps, this post was prophetic! Missing to the right on first ball, and left on second.

Tonight, buddy and I went to experiment. We chose what is roundly thought to be the worst lane pair (incidently these are wood lanes all the way) and I took the red Ebonite along for the ride.

I bowled 198, 178 and 201 for a 577 series and 192avg. The Ebonite was GOOD on lane 10 which ahd been unused since being oiled. As the night progressed, it got good on lane 9 and "Lewis" was my lane 10 ball.

I think I really have a clue now. I think the Ebonite is good when the Fireball just ain't got it.

Monday night should be intewresting!!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Ahhh, that's more like it!

When we next meet 5 years to the day after 9-11-01, my average will be 167.

I had 132, 128 and 172 tonight... not exactly stellar! But I wasn't the only one having trouble.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
GEEZ!

Last week I had my third BEST series of this league...

Tonight I tied for WORST!

At least my team mates did well. And the team we bowled against didn't have a stellar night either.

Next weeks average will be 162. I'll either make it or not....

Danbo

Enlightened
I'm old enough to remember when bowling was about the only thing we had to do as kids. Our family ALWAYS bowled, and we were good. Although I don't bowl anymore, I was always better than my Brothers and Sisters growing up. I was so good, that when I was 11, I was put on a team of High School seniors and we went on to win the Illinois State Championship in 1970. I think I had something like a 200 average back then.

Then, I got really burned out on bowling. You see, bowling is all about figuring out the lane conditions and adjusting for them. Once you have your stroke down, it's all about adjusting to where they put the oil. I got REALLY tired of the adjusting. The owners of the lanes were starting to skimp on the maintenence and would neglect to re-oil the lanes before our leagues(we followed immediately after the little kid's league). This meant that all the oil was gone from the middle of the lane. Try to bowl a sweeping hook ball, with very oily conditions on the edges by the gutter and no oil in the middle. You can't! So, I quit for about 10 years. Then, I got back into it and became decent again, until the smoke started to really bother me. Haven't really been in a bowling alley more than to say hi to my family(they still bowl every Friday night) in many years.

frosty

Enlightened
I'm 34 now and bowled constantly from around the age of 12. I really enjoyed it, but eventually time constraints and other things gradually sapped some of my enthusiasm. I guess I burned out a bit. I also hurt my back whilst bowling and it never really recovered. As I remember my average was between 190-200, high game was 279 and high series was 742. Made lots of friends and generally had a good time. I would recommend league bowling as a great way to improve your bowling and meet a wide variety of different people.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to bowl when I was younger but gave it away just before I started working. When I was 14 I bowled a 211 game! But unfortunatley that was never to be repeated again. I bowl very casually now, maybe once a year.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
This is like a 32 week or so season... this was just week 10....

Adjusting is what it's ALL about! I have a blood blister on one of my fingers, and so only used my "tamest" ball. I had a rotten time hitting pins on the left. Either my ball would go straight, or into the left gutter. I left a LOT of open frames.

Next week I plan to take a more agressive ball along. (I have three total, all drilled within a whisker of identical. But the other two both have finger grippers - woulda been TOUGH with the blister!)

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Ahhh... a reason to crow a bit!

I was the Anchor Man and boy I was NEEDED! I had two decent games and one 222 allowing us to win 2 plus total pins.

But the lanes were nearly bone dry! Only my Tamest (old Brunswick "Fireball") was useful. My Black Beauty was breaking beyond brooklyn!!!

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
In the immortal words of Glenn Beck... "oh YEAH!"

I had a 590 series tonight! My team mates did well too and we won 3 games + total pins handily.

This beats last week all to pieces! That was a 437 series :(

I hate to keep dredging this thread up, but sometimes I just have to!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Here I go dredging this thread up yet again...

I had a pretty good 534 series tonight. I owe it to having two decks of cards, a smallish pot, and getting two cards for a strike or split conversion and one for a spare.

I do NOT owe it to the new bowling shoes I took with me! First practice shot had me almost land face first! I did foul! I see now that I'm home again WHY I was having so much trouble. And I will ask the Pro at the lanes what I can do to fix the problem!

My Teammates did a pretty good job too! We won two games and total pins. And the first place team lost three tonight!