Brainstorming help needed with "Walking" kit

B@rt

Flashaholic
WolfPack has a nice line of dog-backpacks.
winkie.GIF

lightninghomepage2.jpg

Ted, I hope you're not considering one for Leon...
tongue.gif

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty happy with my kit. I've adjusted it over time and haven't made any significant changes lately.

I do want to add some stuff when I get around to it:

Good boots. While not specifically part of a walking kit, having good footwear nearby would be a good idea.

Patagonia silkweight top. When you are out walking, you get hot. The Patagonia silk weight stuff is light, thin and drives VERY quick.

Energy bars. I've actually had some as part of the kit previously, but they get crushed pretty easily. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Some sort of cleaning wipes. I had some wipes in my bag before, but 1) they tend to dry out due to abuse and 2) too heavy. Thoughts?

Whistle. I have one on my keys, but I'd like one in the kit.

Extra cell phone battery.

This thread has made me want to add a few things: Needle, thread, BleedX, knot card and chalk.

The areas I am least satisfied are the tools. I didn't want a multitool since I only want a few things and I want something better than a multitool. However, the weight penalty is annoying. What I would like would be a set of titanium pliers and screwdrivers. Again, if anyone has any ideas it would be great.

-john

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would add cash and waterproof matches or a couple of bic lighters to both packs. For your wife, civilian legal pepper spray (besides the one she probably carries on her keychain).

arioch

Enlightened
JohnN:

Energy bars - Nature Valley fruit and nut bars carry well, and are very durable (can be smashed almost flat and bent in half).

Cleaning wipes - I find that baby wipes perform better than the commercial "adult type" wipes like Wet Ones. My preferred brand for baby wipes is Chubs. They come in smaller packets for travel use.

smile.gif

SurefireM6

Enlightened
Wolfen,

Thanks for the additional tips. I'm not a believer in Pepperspray however. I don't think it works for civilians. Reason Why:

Most civilians do not know danger is coming. A mugger, rapist etc will usually hide and suprise the victim and pepperspray in its holster on a keychain will not even be accessible in a struggle. It's worse in a purse!

It works for LEOs because we deliberaately use it when we need to to control suspects. We are aware of our surroundings all the time. (Civilians are suprisingly oblivous to their surroundings most of the time, watch them.)

I'm more of a Taser guy myself. I've personally seen suspects shrugging off Pepperspray/Capstun but I've never seen anyone keep standing after being hit with a taser. I posted about it here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=000096 all the way down.

Does your department issue any type of tasers? Good idea about the money, I forgot about that.

Latest posts