BRASS

easilyled

Flashaholic
Spectacular lights, Ganp.
Reminds me of the handiwork of this geezer in the UK who lived in Bristol. :)

Could you put me in touch with him again please? I need to expand on my brass collection if he still makes 'em.

donn_

Flashaholic
Brassetch-patina1_DSC0003copy.jpg

This one just moved to Australia.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ti lights just do not move me the way these brass ones do. Very very nice!

Ganp

Enlightened
Beautiful lights in your collections, donn_, calebra, and easilyled. :drool:

But I think my favourite is from Essexman ....
DSCF1479.jpg

And if I remember rightly, the light has not been altered to accommodate the upgrade.:twothumbs

Colin.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couple of points about polishing....

Brasso IS reactive, it will etch brass if you don't remove EVERY spot. It loves to settle in holes, crevices and knurling.

Nevr Dull wadding will clean & polish brass w/o leaving residue like Brasso. Its slower, it does stain [use a clean cloth to finish the polishing].

For the absolutely smoothest finish get some white and some red jewelers rouge. Both dissolve in water so you can use clean cotton cloth [T shirt material] and load the rouge into the clothes.

White rouge will remove 95% of the lines. Red rouge will get you to a mirror finish. Finish polishing w/ rouge is VERY slow.

Of course, once polished you'll leave perfect fingerprints each time you touch it.....

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received a Peak Kilimanjaro in brass, from B/S/T. It's wasted on me and belongs in the hands of a collector--preferably, one who appreciates Peaks, brass lights, or magnificent handiwork. I'm willing to let it go for what I paid ($20 shipped!) I'd rather not offer it to someone in America, because we Yanks can buy a brass Peak anytime. To what CPFer overseas should I give first consideration?

I would ask for just a few dollars more to cover overseas shipping, whatever it comes to.

Last edited:

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beautiful lights in your collections, donn_, calebra, and easilyled. :drool:

But I think my favourite is from Essexman ....
DSCF1479.jpg

And if I remember rightly, the light has not been altered to accommodate the upgrade.:twothumbs

Colin.

What a good memory you have kind sir!! They still turn up on eBay now and then, great mod fodder.

MWClint

Enlightened
my brass..some are littered throughout the house/on keychains so not in pic.

my favorites are:
EX10 modded Caribbean w/high cri seoul (EDC #2)
HA/Brass Combo Pacific w/ mad max+,mcr16s, ucl, 2 mode, high cri(EDC #3)
2xAA Rainier w/high cri seoul, DD with energizer liths, 2 mode.
de-knurled/polished matterhorn w/high cri seoul(on my keychain)
IMR Seoul P7 Rainiers - one has bi-flupic, other has a 2500mah 3 mode
Mac's Brass SST-50 EDC Neutral-1400mah-ti clip
Shasta N cell Pocket single snow led - so tiny
Pacific CR2 Pocket high cri seoul
McKinley 7 led snow

brass.jpg

donn_

Flashaholic
I just came across this lovely brass FireFly II set which I forgot to include in my group shot:

IMGP3383.jpg

CR2 and 123 bodies with 2-stage switches in each.

I hope to upgrade this with a warm emitter and replace the optic with a flood reflector.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
How I wish I could keep brass from tarnishing. Maybe I should buy another brass Peak and try anodizing it, to see if I can build up an oxide layer thick enough that I'd never be able to wear it off.

easilyled

Flashaholic
How I wish I could keep brass from tarnishing. Maybe I should buy another brass Peak and try anodizing it, to see if I can build up an oxide layer thick enough that I'd never be able to wear it off.

I use Goddard's Brass & Copper Polish

It claims to maintain the shine for a long time and inhibit re-tarnishing. I find that I only need to re-apply it very occasionally.

Rather unusually, this is a British product!

palimpsest

Newly Enlightened
I got only one brass electrical torch and after a few hours playing with it, i realized that i liked it tarnished.

p1010655800.jpg

thebeans

Newly Enlightened
I got only one brass electrical torch and after a few hours playing with it, i realized that i liked it tarnished.

p1010655800.jpg

WOW!! I really like that tarnished look. Did that occur naturally or did you speed it up with something? I have a Ti EDC 50 but this tarnished look makes me want a brass one too!:huh:

palimpsest

Newly Enlightened
Did that occur naturally or did you speed it up with something?
It occured quite naturally but yes, i speeded up :D...
You already get a Mac's Ti SST-50 EDC so you probably know that the hand-feeling of the matte finish is really nice.
I played with and turned the EDC in my hands during a few hours (not continuously :p) and with slightly sweaty hands, it tarnished very quicly.
I was a little bit disappointed, in fact more surprised than disappointed because i didn't expect that it could occur so quickly, i was worrying to have to de-tarnish it very often. :sweat:
It was so shinny when i received it a few hours before.

But the next day i forgot how it was "out of the box" and realized that i really prefered it tarnished.
It is still very shinny under the pocket clip.

p1010613640.jpg

Send me your brass lights, my hand's sweat is magic. :devil:

It is so good looking tarnished probably because of the special Mac's finish, you know those very thin "scratches" that provide this very special grip.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Dunno if this counts since I ended up selling it, but here's a pic of the only brass flashlight part I've owned in the past year or so:

Brand new:
CIMG4858.jpg

After a week of accelerated tarnishing with saltwater and humid Southern air:
CIMG4862.jpg

After 5 minutes of soaking, washing, and re-soaking in a brass-blackener solution:
CIMG4864a.png

Last edited:

Latest posts