BRASS

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best way to keep brass from tarnishing is to plate it with 24K gold. Looks even better than polished and surprisingly inexpensive.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got Pineapple?

dscf1026v.jpg

dscf1025o.jpg

mhphoto

Newly Enlightened
Mmmmmmmmm… This thread is delicious for my eyes… :naughty:

JacobJones

Enlightened
Beautifull lights, I don't have any brass ones but I have brass oil lamps and they're a bugger to polish. When I got them they were black, I didn't realise one of them was brass at first it was so bad, it had been left in a cold damp barn for 30 years. Spent several days polishing with brasso but the results were worth it. I'm going to have to find out how to post pictures

Great picture essexman, I'm going to look for one of those on eBay, it would complement my miners safety lamp nicely.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beautifull lights, I don't have any brass ones but I have brass oil lamps and they're a bugger to polish. When I got them they were black, I didn't realise one of them was brass at first it was so bad, it had been left in a cold damp barn for 30 years. Spent several days polishing with brasso but the results were worth it. I'm going to have to find out how to post pictures

Great picture essexman, I'm going to look for one of those on eBay, it would complement my miners safety lamp nicely.

Funny you should say that, I've not seen any turn up on the bay for a bit. If you find one and buy it drop me a PM and I'll send you the details of the LED drop in I used to mod it.

JacobJones

Enlightened
Funny you should say that, I've not seen any turn up on the bay for a bit. If you find one and buy it drop me a PM and I'll send you the details of the LED drop in I used to mod it.

There's one I'm watching on eBay right now actually, looks like part of the switch is missing though. Are they clicky switches?

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The switch on these is a little odd. They have a spring fitted, press down to make contact, then you have to screw the knob round whilst in the on position to lock it on.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Bribo, those are beautiful lights. Hand made by yourself?
Can we have more details please?
They remind me of the Lummi Wee in design, but its hard to see the scale properly.
I'll have to bribe you for one. :tinfoil:

JacobJones

Enlightened
The switch on these is a little odd. They have a spring fitted, press down to make contact, then you have to screw the knob round whilst in the on position to lock it on.

Thankyou. So the one one eBay had the button and spring missing, I could probably have made a replacement but just incase I didn't buy it, I'll wait for the next one.

How much did you pay for yours? The one I was watching was £26.99, seems a bit expensive but for all I know they could be worth that much.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thankyou. So the one one eBay had the button and spring missing, I could probably have made a replacement but just incase I didn't buy it, I'll wait for the next one.

How much did you pay for yours? The one I was watching was £26.99, seems a bit expensive but for all I know they could be worth that much.

The brass ones are rare, ~I've only ever seen another two apart from mine on eBay. The chrome ones come up all the time, there's a few on ebay now.

I paid approx £30 for the brass one, chromes go for £3 up to £30 depending on condition.

Bribo

Newly Enlightened
Bribo, those are beautiful lights. Hand made by yourself?
Can we have more details please?
They remind me of the Lummi Wee in design, but its hard to see the scale properly.
I'll have to bribe you for one. :tinfoil:

Its my first fully handmade flashlight, I made it on my lath/mill/drill combo, Previously I only messed around with mag modifications, Yes i did copy lummi's design but it has a few improvements:
  1. smaller (thats paracord in the photo for reference) the diameter of the small tube is a little less than 1/2"
  2. aspheric lense for throw
  3. qtc pill behind a rare earth magnet for durable & variable output
  4. brass tailcap for bling
  5. twice as bright on max (direct drive...no resistor except for QTC)
I will also install some trits when I get a chance.

Ill post some photos of the guts in a bit.

thanks for the feedback

Last edited:

A.D.D.i.c.t

Newly Enlightened
Beautiful Brass! I just love the worn look of tarnished brass, copper, etc. Something different from the mass of black ano'd lights out there.

Straker

Newly Enlightened
*SNIP!*
After 5 minutes of soaking, washing, and re-soaking in a brass-blackener solution:
CIMG4864a.png

Now that is cool. What brass blackener did you use for that? It look gorgeous!

Old brass

DSCF1479.jpg

DSCF1477.jpg

:grin2:

I love old brass like that. I especially love the visible solder on the seams.

I don't know if this counts but I made a brass light I carried on me for awhile until my switch went XD

Have a look:

71gpvm.jpg

I designed it to be more of a prop, basing it on the Sonic Screwdriver from Doctor Who but it's still pretty bright and made a great flashlight.

Here's a shot of my second attempt:
vngpq0.jpg

And some shots of others I built as well:

jktyzk.jpg

2i8exib.jpg

wbav6e.jpg

Though that last one isn't done yet XD