Brightest single AA?

kts

Enlightened
Its like people has forgotten that Fenix is still the king of LED flashlights, best regulation out there, all the others is just wannabees :cool:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
So do people think I have a very underperforming NDI?

I have just ordered a Jetbeam, and I'll think about getting a D10 R2. I must say I really love the single AA form, I guess I have far more AA lights than any other battery type.

Where can I get a 1AA Eagletac in the UK?

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightest Single AA?

I don't own a single AA LED at all. It doesn't sound like there is any real consensus on what the brighteest single AA light is, though. Are they all priced similarly or are the prices all over the place?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Re: Brightest Single AA?

It doesn't sound like there is any real consensus on what the brighteest single AA light is, though.

The brightest currently available on a NiMH is the Nitecore D10 (and soon its successor the R2 version). Second place by only ~2 lumens is the Fenix LD10 and the Nitecore DI.

(The brightest all-time on a NiMH is the now-discontinued JetBeam Jet I Mk IBS.)

The brightest currently available on a Li-Ion/14500 is the Fenix L1D (its current successor the LD10 is probably brighter, though I haven't seen Li-ion testing on it yet.)

(The brightest all-time on a Li-Ion/14500 is the now-discontinued JetBeam Jet I Mk IBS.)

:caution: Keep in mind that the difference in brightness between most AA lights, specifically on NiMHs, is *very narrow*, within a range of 10-15 lumens. Enough that you would not be able to tell them apart on output alone.

This is why when choosing an AA light, you're better off going by other critera, such as interface, runtime, and features. Regardless of which light you get, it will be almost exactly the same in output compared to its competitors (excluding Li-Ion/14500 use).

Are they all priced similarly or are the prices all over the place?

They're all within a range of roughly $20 from one another, so you should also put price far down the list of your considerations.

Silversurfer

Enlightened
The brightest flashlight that can run on a single AA?

The single AA version of ARC mania's Mega Extreme II with MCE LED has to be a serious contender for the title. Described by him as follows:

"Run time is 40 minutes using an alkaline battery. Using either an NiMH AA battery rated at 2700mah or an Energizer lithium AA, light output is around 290 lumens to 300 lumens. Its my estimated guess using a lux meter."

Cheapskate

Enlightened
The original Jetbeam Jet 1 pro with an R2 emitter might still be the brightest. It is certainly brighter than my NDI

From left to right, and all using 2700mah Fuji Nimh: NDI, Jetbeam Jet 1 pro and a minin maglight.

NJMBeams1.jpg

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is related so I figured I'd post it here. I currently have an L2D but would like to try the 1xAA format. If I bought an L1D body tube and installed it, would this work correctly with the L2D head? I'm pretty sure the 14500 would be no problem, but how about normal NiMH?

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
This is related so I figured I'd post it here. I currently have an L2D but would like to try the 1xAA format. If I bought an L1D body tube and installed it, would this work correctly with the L2D head? I'm pretty sure the 14500 would be no problem, but how about normal NiMH?

It would work fine. They use the exact same driver, so parts are 100% swappable.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm currently reviewing a three-mode programmable Akoray K-106 flashlight, and I'm very impressed by its output. I don't know if it's the brightest single-AA light around, but I'm pretty sure it can mix it up with the best.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

L2D is not rated for a LiIon battery and you could damage the LED or driver. At the very least you will not be able to access the low, med modes with LiIon cell. A single Nimh will work fine but High and Max will be pretty close in brightness.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well my MTE is brighter than both of my Jet 1 MKs and my L1D with an R2, measured in my lightbox using an Eneloop.

qarawol

Enlightened
The brightest flashlight that can run on a single AA?

The single AA version of ARC mania's Mega Extreme II with MCE LED has to be a serious contender for the title. Described by him as follows:

"Run time is 40 minutes using an alkaline battery. Using either an NiMH AA battery rated at 2700mah or an Energizer lithium AA, light output is around 290 lumens to 300 lumens. Its my estimated guess using a lux meter."

I'll jump on this band wagon too. No one else can compare to his work IMHO. Limited runs of some of the most amazing Flashlights out there. Trust me I have many of his products.

You asked for the brightest single 'AA' then get the brightest. At $450.00 - $480.00 a piece (yes, that is for one Flashlight) and they're selling, that must tell you something.

The 'ARC mania' Mega Extreme II AA gets my vote. Buy one and see for yourself.

Njoy...

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast

The brightest currently available on a NiMH is the Nitecore D10 (and soon its successor the R2 version). Second place by only ~2 lumens is the Fenix LD10 and the Nitecore DI.

Starhalo - New question, do you think my D10 (Q5) is underperforming? It is way less bright than my L1T V2.0 and my LD10 etc ( see my list ) I know I did the tests with Primary Lithiums but I'll have to see what the results are with eneloops too.

Mmmm ... R2 D10...

Power_of_the_Sun

Newly Enlightened

(The brightest all-time on a NiMH is the now-discontinued JetBeam Jet I Mk IBS.)

Okay, I'm hearing mixed reviews now (go figure). BessieBenny's review of the MTE C2-1 says that, "It's brighter than Nitecore D10 Q5 on High."
MTE C2-1 beamshot: http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/2914/img6982mtec21zg4.jpg

Nitecore D10 beamshot using same GP Recyko 2100mAh NiMH battery: http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/8459/img6984nitecored10highaos4.jpg

The Jetbeam Jet 1 Mk IBS seems to be a heavyweight contender, but Nake says, "my MTE is brighter than both of my Jet 1 MKs and my L1D with an R2, measured in my lightbox using an Eneloop."

I'd like to see someone do beamshot comparisons using the same battery between the MTE C2-1 and the Jet 1 Mk IBS.

I also appreciate the mention of the single AA version of ARC mania's Mega Extreme II with MCE LED (apparently 290-300 lumens from a single AA!) but with limited production and no product or beamshots available (that I could find of the AA model), I wouldn't lump it into the category of "readily available". Otherwise, it would definitely have to take the prize (IMHO)!

StarHalo

Flashaholic

[Starhalo - New question, do you think my D10 (Q5) is underperforming? It is way less bright than my L1T V2.0 and my LD10 etc ( see my list ) I know I did the tests with Primary Lithiums but I'll have to see what the results are with eneloops too.

The non-Li-Ion test results I used to compile the list are all powered by NiMH. You should also take Vf into account, that you might have a modestly underperforming D10 and a modestly overperforming LD10. This alone can account for a ~10% difference.

BessieBenny's review of the MTE C2-1 says that, "It's brighter than Nitecore D10 Q5 on High."

Entirely possible, but I would recommend against the DX/KD/Budget lights - the variability in some of these lights is so extreme that it's often unclear if the results are by some radical design or a defect. A good example is KosPap's review of the AKOray 1xAA, which by his measurements on a Li-Ion output 330 lumens on high, with an amp draw of 3.5 (that's sufficient to burn your hand in a few seconds and completely kill both the battery and the LED in a few minutes), but a second reviewer with another copy of same light got only a .5 amp draw on high. That's beyond unacceptable even in a cheap light meant just for novelty use.

I also appreciate the mention of the single AA version of ARC mania's Mega Extreme II with MCE LED (apparently 290-300 lumens from a single AA!) but with limited production and no product or beamshots available (that I could find of the AA model), I wouldn't lump it into the category of "readily available". Otherwise, it would definitely have to take the prize (IMHO)!

The OP was asking about the aforementioned $22 light, so even some of the ~$50 lights we've recommended may be beyond that budget.

Lighthearted1

Newly Enlightened
After seeing the review, I ordered 3 MTE C2-1 lights before Christmas. I like them a lot. They are very bright. Compares well to my 2 AA 606A, but with a different beam pattern. They have an optic lens, and the hot spot is bright and somewhat wide. It really draws power, draining a Duracell 2650mah in about 35 min. Two have the same beam pattern, the third has a bit tighter and defined hot spot. I prefer the broader ones, as they work so well as a bike light. Perfect spread for a road light. I found that all three held together by two rubber bands and mounted on my handlebar really flood the road with light! I can use 1,2, or all 3 at once. If I will be out more than 30 min. after dark, I use one at a time. I am glad to have them. I carry one as my EDC light. I will be getting a p7 soon, so they might not see much use on my bike after that. I will still keep one in my pocket though. Sometimes I band two together and drop them in my pocket. I am a big guy, and it is not a problem. One is bright enough for most uses. For about $20 delivered, they are worth the price!