Broken D10, pls help

arcel1t

Newly Enlightened
Funny you ask.
After going back and forth with Nitecore directly, they tell me that for 16$ payable to their paypal.cn account, that they will mail me a new housing, standard mail. As that might be a good deal to get my flashlight back into working condition, I have my own reservations. So, I'm back on the flashlight hunt, and I've never been more confused :confused:.
When I bought the D10 2 years ago, it was a no brainer.
Now, I don't see a no brainer out there ???
Any help would be appreciated.

- $50ish pricerange.
- AA for battery convenience, unless the 123 blows me away (going to invest in some eneloops for my digital camera and wouldn't mind finding a light that can share).
- I also prefer the small size 3-4", as I ETC this in my front jeans pocket, and don't want anything too ridiculous in size.
- I loved my D10, however I usually only used the min and the max settings, so I don't think that the infinite ramping is a dealbreaker.
- I liked how my D10 remembered my last known setting.
- I prefer the tailcap button over a twisty (I think) cause I use this to jog often, and think that operating it with one hand is easier done with a button appose to a twisty???
- I wouldn't mind a strobe.
- I liked on my D10 how I could get to max brightness in just a few clicks.
- I've always wanted a Fenix, so I'm looking at the LD10. Trying to stay focused on the AA and ignore the temptation of the PD10/20. Also looking at the Quark mini AA and WARMs. There's also the choice of going back to the D10, but they're harder to find now that 4sevens doesn't carry them, and I still feel slighted by Nitecore.

All suggestions appreciated.

The nitecore Defender infinity meets most of your requirement's and it's
more rugged then the D10
It has the max and minimum settings easily available by twisting the head.
It has strobe.
It has a tail button
It runs of one AA battery.
Cons:
It cost's more and I dont know where you could find one when 4 sevens no longer have them.

All of theese can also be achived by the quark AA except the programming.
And you can buy a cr123 body and put the head on it and you got yourself a pocketrocket.

Last edited:

gnu

Newly Enlightened
broke in half? no way how did it happen?

if the ld10 had a low like the d10 i would never use my d10, i don't like the ramping it is a gimmick and a pain to use

The wife was using it to jog and dropped it on the path :whistle:
Almost a clean break.

bansuri

Enlightened
Zebralight has a nice new AA flashlight with 2 tint options that you may like.
http://www.zebralight.com/Flashlight_c_8.html
I've suggested this despite your specific tail switch request as side clickys are less common on "our" lights and you may not have considered them an option.

Last edited:

gnu

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight has a nice new AA flashlight with 2 tint options that you may like.
http://www.zebralight.com/Flashlight_c_8.html
I've suggested this despite your specific tail switch request as side clickys are less common on "our" lights and you may not have considered them an option.

OK, I'd never seen these before, and in my brief reading, I'm already a fan. What's the throw like with this (SC50) compared to say the LD10.

gnu

Newly Enlightened
The nitecore Defender infinity meets most of your requirement's and it's
more rugged then the D10
It has the max and minimum settings easily available by twisting the head.
It has strobe.
It has a tail button
It runs of one AA battery.
Cons:
It cost's more and I dont know where you could find one when 4 sevens no longer have them.

All of theese can also be achived by the quark AA except the programming.
And you can buy a cr123 body and put the head on it and you got yourself a pocketrocket.

Hmmm,
So I can get the Quark AA R5, and buy a 123 body, and have both...
It's operation appears to be the same as the LD10, right?
Any idea about how fast the strobe is, fast like the LD10's or slow like the SC50?
I can't find any videos on it online.

So now its Quark AA R5 (and essentially 123) vs SC50 vs LD10

My decisions aren't getting easier....

thanks

arcel1t

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm,
So I can get the Quark AA R5, and buy a 123 body, and have both...
It's operation appears to be the same as the LD10, right?
Any idea about how fast the strobe is, fast like the LD10's or slow like the SC50?
I can't find any videos on it online.

So now its Quark AA R5 (and essentially 123) vs SC50 vs LD10

My decisions aren't getting easier....

thanks

You wont have both but you can choose between cr123 and AA, the cr123 will be brighter and a little shorter.

The quark has much faster strobe then the SC50.

I

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there and :welcome:

sorry to hear about your D10, i had an EX10 GDP+ which broke as well, the threads broke off from the head and i contacted Nitecore directly. They were most helpful and I sent the light to them at my cost and they repaired it and sent it back at their cost it worked perfectly............. till i lost it *sobsob*

Recently i sent back my EX10 R2 as the piston was incredibly stiff no matter what i did, cleaning, relubricating etc. I was not confident enough to try some of the other methods like shotening the spring etc so i contacted them and sent it back, it's on its way now.

Get the contact details from Nitecore's site, they are very helpful.

Also sent you a PM.

gnu

Newly Enlightened
Hi there and :welcome:

sorry to hear about your D10, i had an EX10 GDP+ which broke as well, the threads broke off from the head and i contacted Nitecore directly. They were most helpful and I sent the light to them at my cost and they repaired it and sent it back at their cost it worked perfectly............. till i lost it *sobsob*

Recently i sent back my EX10 R2 as the piston was incredibly stiff no matter what i did, cleaning, relubricating etc. I was not confident enough to try some of the other methods like shotening the spring etc so i contacted them and sent it back, it's on its way now.

Get the contact details from Nitecore's site, they are very helpful.

Also sent you a PM.

They've been very helpful to me as well, just don't feel like dealing with it anyomre..time to buy a new toy...
PM sent...i think??? not showing up in sent mail though...

jslappa

Enlightened
I might be able to help you.
I had a D10 GDP that broke in half a couple of months ago.
The damage was limited to the head so I have a D10 body in working condition (not perfect it has some scrathes in the finish).

Depending on where you are located I might be able to ship it to you for free.

lovecpflovecpflovecpflovecpflovecpf

Zendude

Enlightened
Dude, $16 and you practically have a new D10!:poke:

Wait a second......unless......you were actually disappointed they were going to fix it.:whistle:

Maybe......just maybe.....you're like me and you say "I can't justify buying another 1AA light while my old one does the job just fine."(not that it ever works!).

I'm sure you were bummed when it broke but I bet there was a part of you that instantly began mulling over possible replacements!:devil:

........poor D10.

Last edited:

gnu

Newly Enlightened
Dude, $16 and you practically have a new D10!:poke:

Wait a second......unless......you were actually disappointed they were going to fix it.:whistle:

Maybe......just maybe.....you're like me and you say "I can't justify buying another 1AA light while my old one does the job just fine."(not that it ever works!).

I'm sure you were bummed when it broke but I bet there was a part of you that instantly began mulling over possible replacements!:devil:

........poor D10.

Something about the $16 payable to a Chinese paypal account, S&H to China, 2-4 weeks shipping time 1 way, and then crossing your fingers and hoping it arrives, didn't do it for me.
And maybe also the fact that there's newer stuff out there…

With that said, the D10 was my first and only light, I was happy with it and it did everything I ever asked it to…except not break when wife drops it…and except strobe, but I new that going in…

So, I've narrowed down my search to the following, with the top contenders, on the top (it should be noted that this will be my EDC, and that I don't get out much, so my next purchase might not be until this one breaks):

Quark 123 R5 (with later purchase of the AA tube) – I like the AA convenience, but can't help but appreciate the 123 power, UI is ok for my preferences, strobe is a plus (never know when a Bear attack is gonna happen when you're out for a late night jog)

D10 SP – Like the AA, like the hidden strobe, really like the UI, nervous about my recent Nitecore experience, and when comparing it to the Q123, it's a little underpowered, if I'm only going to have 1 light, bigger is better, right???

LD10 – I've always wanted one, but now it seems that there is so much more out there…

SC-50 – I really like this one, but the slow strobe really turned me off. Really liked the UI.

If I were to go with the Q123, what is the best battery for it, since I won't have any AA ETC anymore, I'm a little nervous about the convenience and affordability of the 123 cells…

Zendude

Enlightened
For reliability, I'd go with the QAA. Then get a 123 tube since some people didn't like the clip on the 123 head. 4sevens cells work very well with the Quarks.
Fenix is just as good from a build standpoint but the Quark has better spaced levels and blinkies are hidden.

That being said the SC50 sure does look like a fun versatile light. The only thing that bothers me is if the switch goes out you're done. There is no changing it out, you HAVE to send it in.

Can I have your D10? I'll show it the love it deserves!:naughty:

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest a Nitecore EX-10 SP R2. This light has the new improved UI, a beautiful ringless beam and heaps of power. I would also suggest a Ultrafire charger + some AW ICR123 rechargable cells - this combo boosts output to over 180 lumens!!! Apart from my Surefire U2, none of my other lights limit me to primaries only - too expensive for regular use.

The Nitecores do support lithium ion cells so they get my vote.

I have one of these in pocket right now!!!

James....:D

gnu

Newly Enlightened
For reliability, I'd go with the QAA. Then get a 123 tube since some people didn't like the clip on the 123 head. 4sevens cells work very well with the Quarks.
Fenix is just as good from a build standpoint but the Quark has better spaced levels and blinkies are hidden.

That being said the SC50 sure does look like a fun versatile light. The only thing that bothers me is if the switch goes out you're done. There is no changing it out, you HAVE to send it in.

Can I have your D10? I'll show it the love it deserves!:naughty:

Doesn't 4sevens offer the 123 with no clip?
Also, as I'm new to both the 123 and the 14500 battery types what's the advantages/disadvantages between buying the Q123 vs buying the QAA and using 14500's in it?
Both have the same relative output, the 123 would be 0.5" shorter, but I could also use AAs in the QAA if I had to...is that accurate and did I miss anything??

thanks again

gnu

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest a Nitecore EX-10 SP R2. This light has the new improved UI, a beautiful ringless beam and heaps of power. I would also suggest a Ultrafire charger + some AW ICR123 rechargable cells - this combo boosts output to over 180 lumens!!! Apart from my Surefire U2, none of my other lights limit me to primaries only - too expensive for regular use.

The Nitecores do support lithium ion cells so they get my vote.

I have one of these in pocket right now!!!

James....:D

thanks, I'm checking it out now...
How's the low on that, comparable to the D10 GD+ low?

gnu

Newly Enlightened
Doesn't 4sevens offer the 123 with no clip?
Also, as I'm new to both the 123 and the 14500 battery types what's the advantages/disadvantages between buying the Q123 vs buying the QAA and using 14500's in it?
Both have the same relative output, the 123 would be 0.5" shorter, but I could also use AAs in the QAA if I had to...is that accurate and did I miss anything??

thanks again

Bump to top
Still need help...:confused:
I am going to purchase either the QAA and run AW14500's in it or get the Q123, and just buy a handful of the 4Sevens primary's. I am a casual user, 10-30 min per day, so I'm not going to be burning through too many batteries. My original intent was to purchase the QAA so that I had the option of using the 14500's in it, and eneloops if I'm in a bind. However, researching the various chargers, and seeing the vast discrepancy in recommendations (and safety hazards involved), I'm easily getting frustrated :banghead: to the point where I'm now considering the Q123 with primary's, at least for the short term, as I'm not prepared to invest 50$ in a charger.
Suggestions welcomed…

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Contact member "jhanko" he made custom Ti lights from the D10's and had a stockpile of the original bodies he made them from. The later versions are thicker.

Zendude

Enlightened
I'm trying to stay away from primaries(less waste) but that's just me.

I know what you mean about being leery of Li-ion. I DO plan on running my Quark AA and D10 on them but not my Q mini. Educate yourself on proper charging/use(that's what I'm doing), add a dash of common sense and you'll be fine.:D

gnu

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered the Q123 R5 with the 10 pack of 123's :twothumbs ...If i start burning through them then I'll consider the RCR123 route...now it needs to hurry up and get here..