Broken Surefire C2

yeoldoak

Newly Enlightened
I would be tempted to try repair the C2 body, I hate chucking stuff
away, perhaps a carbon fibre wrap around to build up an external tube
overlay, or a coloured micarta wrap, once set give it a sand blast or some
textured grooving or similar to the micarta. I love my C2 so this is sad to see.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Seeing the damage in that photo, it honestly would be a waste of time and money trying to attempt any sort of fix. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses, salvage what you can; and just move on. In this case, chuck the broken body. Salvage the tailcap, bezel, and lamp/emitter. Then look online for a spare SureFire C2 body, or settle for a complete C2. Don't bore it out. Use 16650 cells in it instead. Or, get a different (aftermarket) body entirely, attach the non-broken parts onto it. Maybe one bored out for an 18650, maybe not. Yeah, back in the day 16650 didn't exist as an option. It does now. No boring required.

novatac

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

thanks for the Kind words and the Nice ideas, i love that light, it was my first "highend" flashlight so i do not want to throw it away…

I think it is not bored in the center, diameter is 19,0mm and the smallest is about 0,2mm.

I used it at least 10 very often, lets say not used but carried, so i really wonder it lasted so long.

I Hope you can understand what i want to Tell you.

China copy 6P looks odd
Replacing whole light is not an option
FiveMega is awesome, but only black available
C2 Body Not available
I think i will Order the pineapple, hope it will match, than i can go on using the other parts.

Have a Nice day
Novatac

novatac

Newly Enlightened
IMG_9713.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9714.jpeg
    IMG_9714.jpeg
    685.8 KB · Views: 41

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is not bored in the center, diameter is 19,0mm and the smallest is about 0,2mm.
If the C2 body was 18650 capable than it was definately a bored body. I a regular C2 body no 18650 cell will fit.

It is the first time over the years I see that a C2 body was broken into two pieces. My guess is really it was bored a little bit too much.

...(pictures)...
Great to see you "fixed" the problem with an other body.

DE73

Newly Enlightened
If the C2 body was 18650 capable than it was definately a bored body. I a regular C2 body no 18650 cell will fit.

It is the first time over the years I see that a C2 body was broken into two pieces. My guess is really it was bored a little bit too much.

Great to see you "fixed" the problem with an other body.
I think they can break even not bored with to large diameter. Maximum material thickness is 0,45mm (see post 16 and 20)

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I can't recall what the Oveready custom bore diameter spec was; 18.7mm ?
They always had a little bit of a challenge with fitting the largest cells, which was just fine with me.

Bugsy's bore jobs were 18.9mm to accept the largest of cells, and I was always a little leery about that larger bore spec.

OP, certainly save the C-series rubber grip ring; SF doesn't make those anymore and the few spare ones out there will only get to be in higher demand.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they can break even not bored with to large diameter. Maximum material thickness is 0,45mm (see post 16 and 20)
But 19mm Diameter is not the stock body. Even my bored C2s does not have 19mm, is is 18,4mm.
But I can not say who bored the C2s. It may ne possible a cpf member offered this bored bodies years ago. The C2 was definately not bored by oveready. I have a larger number of P60 hosts, therefore I can not remember everything... :)

Last edited:

DE73

Newly Enlightened
They always had a little bit of a challenge with fitting the largest cells, which was just fine with me.

Bugsy's bore jobs were 18.9mm to accept the largest of cells, and I was always a little leery about that larger bore spec.

OP, certainly save the C-series rubber grip ring; SF doesn't make those anymore and the few spare ones out there will only get to be in higher demand.
My Oveready 6P is bored to 18,6 mm. It's quite tight and some batteries don't fit.

DE73

Newly Enlightened
But 19mm Diameter is not the stock body. Even my bored C2s does not have 19mm, is is 18,4mm.
But I can not say who bored the C2s. It may ne possible a cpf member offered this bored bodies years ago. The C2 was definately not bored by oveready. I have a larger number of P60 hosts, therefore I van bot remember everything... :)
As OP states in the first post it's bored. The dropin is from Oveready but if the also bored the body is not clear.

novatac

Newly Enlightened
As OP states in the first post it's bored. The dropin is from Oveready but if the also bored the body is not clear.

Sorry for the confusion.
Mechanical guy from the neighboorhood did id… it was Not from Oveready

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
DSC_3187a.jpg

This was someone else's attempt to to bore a C2. It blew apart in the lathe. I ended up with it because I bought the other reject from this batch but that one the light wasn't centered so they bored into one of the flats (opposite from the clip). The one in the photo was cut just above the damage and slots milled into it to allow me to visually see how I could machine a drop-in with maximum contact with the body.

Oveready bored to 18.65mm back in the day. I remember their stating that the similarity to "18650" was a coincidence. In case it matters. ;)