Budget 1x AAA Keychain Flashlight Suggestions

wicker_man

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everybody!

I am looking to buy a small torch/flashlight to keep on my keychain. I don't want to spend too much, a maximum of £10 (UK Pounds) which works out to about $15 USD. I'd prefer it to be powered by a single AAA battery.

I've been reading and searching on this forum and the Fenix E01 seems to be pretty well reviewed. But, searching on Dealextreme I have found the TANK007 TK-703 which looks quite good also.

Which one of the above would be a better option, or should there be another one I should look at?

My current flashlight is a Tesco (UK supermarket) 3w 2xAA Cree LED version, how would the light output of the Fenix and Tank (or any other suggestions) compare?

Many thanks for any advice!

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
My EDC keychain light is an ITP EOS A3. It has three well-spaced levels, a beautiful beam, and runs on a single AAA. It is available from goinggear.com for about $22 US. It has served me well.

Good hunting!

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I hear the tank is a nice light but it doesnt have much runtime, so I don't think it makes a good keychain light. I would go with the E01, or the ITP mentioned above.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am also in the UK and you could buy the Fenix EO1 delivered to your door for £11.75 postage included (sent from the UK) with a choice of colours.I use mine as my evening EDC and it runs for ages on a simple AAA cell,use Lithium for even longer run time.

If you fancy splashing a little extra cash go for the ITP A3 EOS 3 mode version,you can land that on your doorstep in the UK from the US for about £15 with postage.

If you need some extra power opt for the ITP A1 (123 cell not AAA) landed from the US to you for about £18 with postage,mine took just 3 days for delivery last week.The battery for these can be picked up via our favourite auction site far cheaper than UK retail outlets.

I have all 3 of the lights mentioned above and as an after thought my daily EDC work light is the Microstream AAA cell(now running on Lithium which improves the output on this model),been my EDC for over 2 years and really nice light and bright enough for my use.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a Fenix E0 (the E01's predecessor) on my keys going on three years and it is still going strong. I also have a couple E01s and they are great long running keychain lights. I like to have a single level light on my keys for simplicity and reliability. The beam colour could be better but adequate for intermittent use IMO.

jk037

Newly Enlightened
:welcome: Nice to see another UK CPF'er - hello from Yorkshire! :welcome:

I have a similar Tesco light to yours; mine did not mention Cree on the packaging and I can't tell what brand the emitter is, however like yours it claims to produce 3 watts and runs on 2xAA cells (photo below).

I've taken a comparison beamshot with my new iTP A3 Eos, as you can see the little iTP is noticeably less bright, however it still produces a hugely impressive amount of light (80 lumens) from such a tiny 1xAAA light.

(The photo was taken using an Olympus u-700 with exposure set as low as possible in ISO64 mode to minimise overexposure; lights are approx. 5 feet from a plain cream-coloured wall. A3 Eos in high mode using freshly-charged NiMh AAA, Tesco light using 2x freshly charged AA)

I'd highly recommend the iTP A3 Eos, however mine cost around $24 (about £15) including postage which is a little over your budget. Excellent value at this price, but you might be interested in some cheaper options...

I'm currently waiting for a few lights to arrive from DX, amongst which are the Trustfire XP-EF23 which claims to produce 150 lumens from a single AAA, and the "Blake" (think DX meant "Black) Cat HM-01 which claims to produce 100 lumens from a single AAA. The Trustfire costs $13.80 and the Black Cat $7.99, both including postage.

I'll put up some pics and beamshots when these lights arrive, along with a bit of a comparison with the iTP and the Tesco light (build quality, ease of use, etc) if it'll help you decide.

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:

wicker_man

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot for the replies and welcomes!

I'll have a look at the ITP EOS A3 and also the Microstream AAA. The ITP at ~£15 is double the price of the Fenix E01 though.

Oddjob, thanks for your comments on the reliability of the Fenix. As it will be living on my keychain, it will need to be of solid construction with a nice quality attachment.

jk037, the comparison is very helpful. My Tesco torch looks the same as yours, when I unscrew the top bit and look at the bit with the LED in, it says CREE on the top and LX-MX2503A underneath where the battery goes. I look forward to seeing your comparison between the DX lights, there seems to be so many on there!

brianch

Enlightened
Thanks a lot for the replies and welcomes!

I'll have a look at the ITP EOS A3 and also the Microstream AAA. The ITP at ~£15 is double the price of the Fenix E01 though.

Oddjob, thanks for your comments on the reliability of the Fenix. As it will be living on my keychain, it will need to be of solid construction with a nice quality attachment.

jk037, the comparison is very helpful. My Tesco torch looks the same as yours, when I unscrew the top bit and look at the bit with the LED in, it says CREE on the top and LX-MX2503A underneath where the battery goes. I look forward to seeing your comparison between the DX lights, there seems to be so many on there!
The iTP A3 should be around $20 USD. Though it cost more the iTP is brighter then the Fenix by a noticeable amount. I would personally go for the iTP A3 EOS. I have one on my keychain :twothumbs

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
The dorcy is a nice little light, but a bit big I think for keychain carry, the aspheric is nice though. I've heard its a good light for modding too.

Last edited:

Warp

Enlightened
The Fenix E01 is a nice little light. My wife and I each have one, though mine often stays at home as I carry a 1xCR123 on my keychain and 2xCR123 in my pocket. It is barely larger than the AAA battery that powers it and is right at your price point. It has always worked perfectly for me and took a beating on my keychain as a third light for awhile without any ill effects save for the beat up appearance.

However, it is not very bright. With an Energizer lithium AAA the output is roughly equal to...if not a little lower than... the free button cell light you get with every order of $20+ USD from http://www.batteryjunction.com/

I am sure it will run longer and is more durable/reliable, but still.....

Edit: Ah yes, the Microstream AAA. I like mine. For a single mode 1xAAA light it is, IMO, somewhat long. Quite a bit longer than the E01. But the light output is also much better and I really like the tailcap. It is easy to use momentarily or click fully for on yet I have never had it accidentally activate (that I was aware of) due to the LONG travel required to get to the click.

Last edited:

Flucero28

Enlightened
+1 for the ITP. I have the Maratac version (slightly more expensive, however I fell in love with the knurling) and absolutely love it. Spend the extra $ and go with the ITP, you wont regret it. Very high output, and tiny in size, is a great deal for the price. :twothumbs Battery Junction carries them.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E01 is a great little light, nearly bombproof. Just make sure you use either rechargeable NiMHs or lithium AAAs. I had an energizer alkaline leak into my first E01 and it had to be discarded, the cell had fused to the interior and could not be removed.

wouldnt want that to happen to anyone.

shark_za

Enlightened
I have most of the torches mentioned above and find I use them for different things.

When you EDC a torch what does it actually do for you?

I find I use mine to look into dark cupboards, behind desks, into open PC's, in the back of computer cabinets etc. There is usually quite a bit of light around so my eyes are not adapted for best vision.
I like the power of the Microstream and brighter for this.

At night the E01 works well but I find it a little lacking for daytime tasks.
My other 5mm LED AAA is the Leatherman Serac S1, just an E01 with a stainless head and clicky tailcap.
Contrary to popular advice here I use the 5mm LED's with Alkalines, I have 2x boxes of blister packs.
At the rate I use the E01/S1 I will never finish using them and will run into leaking after a few years.

I dont use alkalines in the higher drain lights like the iTP. There I have Hybrio and Duraloops for good cheap power.

While I love the A3 and I'm impressed with the A1 I find I am being drawn to the A2 more and more.
Once you see the PWM comparison you tend to avoid the A3.
I keep the A3 on my security card lanyard all the time, I prefer its mode layout for daytime EDC. The medium is handy for the tasks at hand and yet I can select the next low mode if its really dark and I want to save some juice.
The high is impressive for its size.

If I was to only have one of the lights mentioned above it would be the microstream for its clicky or the A2 for its runtime/handiness.
The A3 is also a leader for its size/performance.

If you but the A3 make sure to order the iTP A3 Upgraded.

shark_za

Enlightened
I just lined a few up for you to see.

Excuse my torches, they are all workers.

iTP A3 EOS Upgraded - iTP A1 - Fenix E01 - iTP A2 - Leatherman S1 - Streamlight Microstream

AAA_EDC.jpg

Some other AA ones I carry daily.

Led Lenser P3 (can't recommend this torch at all) - Microstream - Fenix LD10 - Ultrafire C3 Stainless Q5 - Leatherman LGX200 - iTP C7T - iTP SA1 Eluma.

AA_EDC.jpg

Last edited:

wicker_man

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the replies. I think the iTP EOS A3 (upgrade version) is looking to be the better option, just need to find the cheapest place shipped to the UK!

I'll still check out some more reviews on other suggestions, and await JK037's comments and comparisons with the DX lights. But at the moment, it looks like the iTP is worth the extra money.

Egsise

Banned
While I love the A3 and I'm impressed with the A1 I find I am being drawn to the A2 more and more.
Once you see the PWM comparison you tend to avoid the A3.
I keep the A3 on my security card lanyard all the time, I prefer its mode layout for daytime EDC. The medium is handy for the tasks at hand and yet I can select the next low mode if its really dark and I want to save some juice.
The high is impressive for its size.

If I was to only have one of the lights mentioned above it would be the microstream for its clicky or the A2 for its runtime/handiness.
The A3 is also a leader for its size/performance.

If you but the A3 make sure to order the iTP A3 Upgraded.

I was worried about the A3's pwm but it does not bother me, in normal use I don't see it.

Last edited: