Budget AA light with very long dim (sub 1 lum) runtime

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Almost all lights are made in China now, quality is more dependent on QC and specifications then where something is built. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to point you towards another forum (if so, sorry norm, please delete my post), but I'd suggest asking your question over at budgetlightforums.

The Infinity Ultra could also work, but it is a single mode light.

bluemax_1

Enlightened
Almost all lights are made in China now, quality is more dependent on QC and specifications then where something is built

Yes, I should have clarified, I meant the Chinese made generic, cheap, never-heard-of-the-brand lights. The Energizer is probably made in China, but with the association to a name like Energizer, they probably ensure the quality control so as not to mar their brand name with a poor quality product. Likewise, I've been using a Fenix as my EDC (Every Day Carry) light for years and it still works great and it's a China made light like most of the LED lights.

It's those cheapy unknown ones that are potentially problematic. Folks might get lucky and get one of these lights that work great for years, or they might have it stop working after 1-month (like my MTE, as well as too many other folks if you've read complaints about them).

Max

KirthGersen

Newly Enlightened
Re: Budget AA light with very long dim (pref. sub 1 lum) runtime level

It's approximately $40 on clearance right now, but it's a shame you couldn't afford the Jetbeam PA20: 252 hours at 1 lumen on 2 X AA. I personally think that'd be a good non-eyestrain-inducing reading level. 3 lumens is nice but a little overkill, and actually can throw a little bit and be enough for walking around, as I found out during a camping trip recently.