Build Log: The 1.5V Project

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
In keeping with my goal of updating this as frequently as I can, a few progress pics of the next batch of prototypes!

The 6 brass PCB sleeves are (almost) done - they just need a wire slot milled in them (which I'll do later). I've fully machined a single pill assembly and prepared the stock for the other 5. I want to make sure everything is ok with the first pill before I go making 5 more. What a waste that would be if something were wrong with the design!
gettingthere.jpg

The pill has a crazy amount of threading on it! Instead of a snap ring I'd like to try a threaded ring to hold the driver boards in place, so it's now threaded on the outside and the inside.
lotsofthreads.jpg

forgetsnaprings.jpg

I've run into a worrying issue though - the new driver pill doesn't thread into the 1st prototypes' body! Not 100% sure why, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed the threads I cut today are ok and the problem is with the prototype body. If not then I guess this pill is scrap and I'll have to try again.
ruhroh.jpg

>> Return to root post
>> Continue to next post in the series

Last edited:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Threads don't work, they were cut slightly too large. :sigh: Still trying to figure out why but at least I know the solution. To make any future thread-cutting easier I whipped up a GO/NO-GO gauge. It has threads cut in it that I'm quite certain are accurate, so I can use it to determine if my work is good to go.

It turned out really nice so I figured I'd post a pic or two. It screws apart so you can test both internal & external threads with the 2 pieces.

threadgage.jpg

threadgageapart.jpg

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened
I recently stumbled across this thread and read through the whole thing. I'm impressed -- again. I still EDC an A2 with your single-mode warm-white LED ring. I'm slightly bummed that project is now closed since I finally have funds to get a multi-mode ring. I'm still watching the second sale thread so I'll know if you open it again.

Put me down as one interested in this light, in the multi-mode version. It is highly unlikely it will bump the A2 out of my pocket, but it looks like a great utility light for my night stand. Thanks for sharing the development process.

Last edited:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for following along smflorkey!

I wish I had more to show you but progress has been frustratingly slow. I don't know how Vinh or TGWNN do it! After a day of work followed by taking care of things at home, I'm only able to devote a few hours a week to this project. I'm sure many people here know the feeling. :eek:

The v1.1 prototype is just about finished. Things I'm working on:
  • Building a more permanent jig for trimming the reflectors.
  • The head knurling looks kind of funky compared to the body knurling. Need someone with a sense of design to look at it and tell me what would look nice.
  • The finished assembly is longer than I'd like. It doesn't crush batteries anymore but it's too long and skinny. I don't know how Malkoff crammed all that stuff into his 4.5" MDC AA without smashing all the wiring/circuits/batteries together. I'm trying to find some places to drop a half-inch of length. If anyone has a AA Haiku who can measure the total length, please let me know!
  • I'm going to try a wire clip and see how it looks.

Hopefully have a more interesting update soon. :)

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
  • Building a more permanent jig for trimming the reflectors.
Well, one bullet point down, couple more to go. :naughty:

The reflectors are a touch too wide. They need a small amount shaved off the diameter to fit in the head. I built a jig out of wood and screws :)green:) for the v1 prototype, but it was pretty crummy. This is much better!
reflectorjig1.jpg

As you turn the screw, the tapered plug presses down into the white Delrin collet and causes it to expand. That expansion pins the reflector in place through friction without marring any of the surfaces.
reflectorjig2.jpg

Then you can turn a bit off the diameter!
reflectorjig4.jpg

As a bonus, if you flip it over, you can pin the reflector upside-down. It can now be mounted in a drill press to put the hole in it for the 3mm secondary LED.
reflectorjig3.jpg

>> Return to root post

Last edited:

Zandar

Enlightened
I'm still folllowing along and am increasingly impressed with your ability! Thanks for keeping us up to date.

alex

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I See You've Constructed A New Light...

Two days vacation? Sounds like it's time to finish up the v1.1 prototype! :devil:

This one sports:
  • Cree XP-G2 R4 5B4 80CRI (tint leans towards vanilla instead of rose)
  • 4900k 3mm LED (the tint on these is so pleasing!)
  • v1.1 firmware (voltage readout to 4.2V, low voltage indicator, off-time mode changes)
It's a bit longer than it needs to be. The next one will be a touch shorter.
v11glamour3.jpg

v11glamour4.jpg

v11glamour5.jpg

Can you make out the tiny 1/32" serial number? They're the tiniest punches I've ever seen and I quite like the look.
v11glamour7.jpg

All pieces of the new one were lacquered because I much prefer a shiny finish to a tarnished one! Won't last forever, but it keeps things looking bright just a tiny bit longer. Lost a fair amount of blood building this one - the stain in the 2nd photo was what I couldn't buff out. I'll eventually Brasso and relacquer it.
v11glamour8.jpg

v11glamour9.jpg

It rides nice and low. Going to tweak the clip attachment to be a bit more elegant on the next one.
v11glamour11.jpg

The brass/steel has a nice dark shine to it that really catches the light.
v11glamour10.jpg

And now, time to set the project aside for a day or two and relax. Enjoy your weekend all!

>> Return to root post

Last edited:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
  • The finished assembly is longer than I'd like. It doesn't crush batteries anymore but it's too long and skinny. I don't know how Malkoff crammed all that stuff into his 4.5" MDC AA without smashing all the wiring/circuits/batteries together. I'm trying to find some places to drop a half-inch of length. If anyone has a AA Haiku who can measure the total length, please let me know!
It's a bit longer than it needs to be. The next one will be a touch shorter.

Oh my goodness, after obsessing over the length of this thing for a week, trying hard to find places to drop space and not finding any... I was measuring using my green cutting mat and the numbered lines aren't exactly 1 inch apart like I foolishly assumed they would be. :ohgeez:

Actual length of the finished light (as measured by ruler and calipers) is 4 3/8". So 1/16" longer than a AA Haiku and 1/8" shorter than a Malkoff MDC. You'd be surprised what a relief it is to figure that out. :)

After a weekend of testing at the cabin:

• Fixing 1 bug in the firmware introduced another (as was foretold by my pessimist coworker); shouldn't take long to track it down and squish it so a 3rd can take its place.
  • High is too high on NiMh; current limiter hits thermal shutdown and starts to flicker. 1 level less and the issue disappears with no noticeable drop in output and improved runtimes.
  • Secondary LED is sitting too low in reflector (I was trying something new). Gives it a nice SunDrop-like beam but introduces a distracting ring as the bezel reflects some light now.
  • Wire clip so far seems a vast improvement over the Strong-Tie/Misty clip.
  • Off-time mode switching is so much fun; light comes on in the level I want and never a different one. ~1s seems like a good amount of latch time.
  • Glad it tail-stands; used that extensively this weekend.
  • The reflector is probably a love/hate thing for a lot of people. I personally really like the beam pattern and I'll take the improved throw at the cost of smooth spill transition, but everyone has different preferences.
The shallow, smooth reflector gives a pronounced hotspot with little transition to the spill of the beam:
spillvsflood.jpg

The 3mm is seated too low in this particular light giving it a funky half-moon reflection. Gorgeous flood beam though.
3mmneutral.jpg

The 3mm has a nice smooth flood beam with good color rendition. Used it a lot for navigating this weekend with great success.
3mmneutral3.jpg

>> Return to root post

Last edited: