Buying first Surefire. need opinions

DigMe

Enlightened
AlexSchira said:
Let's say...I'm waiting outside a movie theater while the staff cleans it, and a smartass ten year old makes an off-color crack about my boots or jacket, is it legal to just flash this thing into the bugger's eyes just to prove a point?

Point being...? I have a really bright flashlight? I'm a grown man who is unable to shrug off the comments of a 10 year old?

brad cook

AlexSchira

Enlightened
Yes, that and sarcasm. I apologize for the off-sense of humor, I've been working on stifling that for a while.
Just a question to Surefire owners in general, what's included with the lights?

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
If you're referring to the SureFire E2e, E2d—2 SF123 Lithium batteries, the flashlight itself, that's all that comes with the package. The others such as SureFire M3, SF.M6 come with two LAs as an example + lanyard for the SF.M3. I have the first generation SureFire M6 so I don't know if a lanyard is now included since mine did not.

AlexSchira

Enlightened
Thanks for the help so far, one last question. I've seen the G2, and the rechargable adapter, and I've started wondering if the size and durability factor of the E2E has anything over a rechargable-converted G2. From what I've seen, any Executive series would probably outlast a G2 because of the Nitrolon compared to HA-3 Anodization. Is thirty bucks a year for batteries worth the size and style factor of the E2E? My tightwad alter-ego is telling me to just get a G2 and make it recharge, but this E2E sounds like something I can take through hell and back. I'd hate to end this with a coin flip, so what are some advantages of the Executive over a converted G2?

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they will both hold up fine. The G2 will probably show it's age more than the E2e HA, but they will both hold up to heavy use.

The main difference in these is the size. The E2e is much skinnier and as such easier to carry in jean pockets or whatever.

That said, I don't really feel like SF does a good job with rechargable lights (SF 10X excepted) and personally would avoid the G2 rechargable conversion.

-john

carrot

Flashaholic
From what I hear, the G2's Nitrolon body is exceptionally durable, so I wouldn't discount it just because it's plastic -- I own one, and it feels like, aside from the fire in Hell, I could take it there and back.

AlexSchira

Enlightened
I'm not dissing the plastic, just being realistic on long-term wear and tear. I'm simply pitting a very high-end polymer against an extremely high-end aluminum anodize. So, eliminating the recharge converter due to quality, it's the G2's price vs the E2E's anodizing, often complained about clip, lockout switch, and somewhat smaller size. Now, if I consider the amount of holsters and straps I have on this very desk as I type, I can compensate for the shortened clip. If it comes down to lumens, G2 has five more, but of course the equal cut in runtime. That's not counting bulb replacements.
Price vs size. I'm a part-time comedian, there should be an easy joke for that, but I'm too busy rubbing my chin and looking at comparison charts. Now, if I had a less active lifestyle, I'd go with the G2 without a second thought. But as it is, I carry quite a few tools and gadgets with me even when traveling light. All my jackets have deep pockets and interior pockets, some of which would warmly accept a G2, but I need a year-round light that I can carry when the weather changes. It's the 28th, and today, outside Chicago, I saw a bunch of geese coming back from their month-long migraton down South. This is going to be one warm winter.
It's official. E2E.
Thanks for all the help, guys, I'll be sure to report back after I get my hands on it!

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well if you're "worried" about the clip and all, there's a Kydex holster with tritium insert that Tad Gear sells specifically for the SureFire E2e that really looks "executive" looking and not some disheveled looking piece of plastic. The Nitrolon is very tough on abuse. I use one at work on a construction site. I've used MEK to clean the body off of the SF.G2 when it gets covered with 2-part epoxy and all. It sure does stand up well. Aside from dropping aluminium bodied flashlights and getting dings and what not, that's not a common thing with the Nitrolon.

philiphb

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of E2E's a C2, C3, and Z2. I always carry an E2E. Batteries from batterystation.com for CPF'ers are $1.00 each so there is no big deal in their expense. Given all the options I EDC an E2E.:devil:

Flakey

Enlightened
the one thing that i would warn you about the G2 is that, yes it is a surefire, yes it is made exceptionally well but YES it does look like somthing that you purchased from target. Either way you are getting a great flashlight but if you do want somthing that is impressive and will make people ohhh and ahhh, grab that executive! i look at my C3 all the time and say, damn that thing looks cool. the G2 just looks like a flashlight, not a surefire. (until you see the beam)

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
AlexSchira said:
this thing could probably nick my hand or clothes. I live in the city, imagine some one bumping up against me in the subway and losing a kidney. The E2E just looks more low-key. It looks like a somewhat stocky Mini Mag. I've carried Mags for years, nobody notices them, nobody cares, it's just a little light. I don't want this thing to scream 'Dangerous, Do Not Make Eye Contact With This Guy', I want it to just sit in my pocket and occasionally ring up a chime of 'Hey, is that a flashlight?'. The E2E just looks friendlier.

If the E2D does all that, I wonder what the L6 Porky does to people :crackup:

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the E2e

Lots of people get the G2 simple because it's the cheapest SF, and then they complain because it's plastic when they really wanted something more "credible" looking, they end spending more money buying another SF.

Others buy the 6P becasuse they don't want to make the mistake the above group made. They end up buying another SF because the 6P just doesn't carry well unless in a belt pouch.

Be smart, save your money and do it right the first time get the E2e!

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
If you really want to impress people get a 9P and a high output lamp. You should see the reactions that gets. It will also run on Pila rechargeables. But for something smaller you might consider the E2L. It isnt as bright as the E2E but it has great throw. Another big advantage of the E2L is that it will run on rechargeable 123s thus cutting the cost of operations. I bought an E2E and love the beam, but since putting a KL4 head on it, and a Pila rechargeable battery on the inside, I havent put the incandescent head back on it.

AlexSchira

Enlightened
Well, the E2O seems to be the E2E with the alternate lamp and a longer clip, for the same price.
Any opinions on the E2E over the E2O for EDC? I can probably switch the clip on the E2E, it'd be cheaper than buying the 60 lumen bulb for the E2O.

Last edited:

quokked

Enlightened
The E20 is the E2e with a lower output lamp
It really depends, personally I got a SF E2e-SG which has the Higher Output (65 Lumens) lamp assembly, the only thing you miss out on is the run time but to be honest with you 50 minutes of bright light is a lot.

The E20 just has the lower output lamp assembly in it being one with 25 lumens and 2.5 hours runtime (Surefires numbers)

Personally I like the extra power and the niceness of having 65 lumens on tap in such a small light people go :huh2: when they see how bright that little thing is...

My vote is go with the E2e! you can always just buy the lower output lamp and stick it in if you need longer runtimes. :poke:

AlexSchira

Enlightened
In that case, the E2E is still king, and I'll probably just get a new clip for it. Thanks!

AlexSchira

Enlightened
Before I run out for a party, here's an update. I'm heading out to get the dang thing on Monday, and I'm already looking into possible upgrades in the future. If I really do fall in love with this thing, imagine putting a KL4 head on it, some high-end rechargables, a longer E2O clip if I must, and a few filters.
...hey...anyone ever watch Star Wars and honestly think the lightsabers look like cheap Surefire knock-offs?
Those things don't even have pocket clips!

CLHC

Flashaholic
I wonder if where you're going to purchase the SureFire, will let you "see" the KL4's lighting first. Few do, most don't. . .

Moorcroft

Newly Enlightened
I've just read the thread and would add my twopence worth in favour of the Surefire E2e. It was my first serious light and is first class for carry and for accessorising. Failing that I would take the P6. I bought the G2 next but that was a mistake because the P6 has more build-on opportunities. I had the G2 because it was cheap and with the optional P61 lamp is a bright 120 lumens.

The P6 can be developed into a three or even four cell lamp which can be awesome with other accessories.

However if it is size and carryability you are after you cannot beat the E2e

Hempstalls

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
AlexSchira said:
Before I run out for a party, here's an update. I'm heading out to get the dang thing on Monday, and I'm already looking into possible upgrades in the future. If I really do fall in love with this thing, imagine putting a KL4 head on it, some high-end rechargables, a longer E2O clip if I must, and a few filters.
...hey...anyone ever watch Star Wars and honestly think the lightsabers look like cheap Surefire knock-offs?
Those things don't even have pocket clips!

I have a KL4 and a two stage tailswitch on mine. I use a Pila in it. It is a super light in that configuration although basic is quite nice.