CAMPING: does donts tips tricks gear advice

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Uhh, never place those expensive gear on the ground, all the dirt and sands gets in and its hard to get them out, when you move your gear, they scratch, stuck in knives' liners and gaps and gets into grooves and threads of flashlights.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
bindibadgi said:
lol.

I've been told if a bear chases you, get up a tree. Then you'll find out what kind of bear it is. If it climbs up and gets you, its a brown bear. If it shakes you out of the tree and gets you, it's a grizzly.

Is this correct? We only have drop bears in Australia.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, if it climbs up and gets you, it is a BLACK bear. If it knocks down the tree and gets you, then it is a BROWN bear/Grizzly (same thing). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for clearing that up. If ever I am in the situation, I'll be glad to know what's killing me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ChopperCFI

Newly Enlightened
Raggie's suggestion of wearing a bell is truly a very good idea in bear country. I don't want my feeble attempt at humor to mislead anyone.

juancho

Enlightened
Also carry a GPS and map.
One day hunting and scouting in a new hunting area, I discovered a nice little brook with raimbow trout on it.
In the spring I returned with my family, hiking with a heavy 100 pounds pack, for about one hour. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif
I had a new GPS, and I imput my camp position in it.
Later that year I got hold of a map of the area, measured in UTM's my camp position, and discovered that a road assesible with the car, passed about 300 yards from the camp. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

My back is still bothering me from that hike!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Juan C.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
only thing i fear whn i camp is humans i know that sounds weird but i fear nothing else.im afraid some nut will be out there

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear ya raggie. People are really scary, especially out in the bush where they might think they won't be caught if they do something bad.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
.i fear nothing when camp i go swiming at 4 am ,under the moon light. but as said before people scare me.and well spiders do to

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Yeah Bindi those drop bears are really bad! It was only acouple of years ago when I saw one drop on and run an ambulance off a track and into a tree!

Hmm depends on what type of camping, I go camping normally, I camp in 'survival' situations, and I go hiking. Each of these warrants different groups of equipment (survival's easy, just take yourself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) etc.

Sparing the boring stuff like Water, Shelter and Food (which are generally in that order /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ), first aid supplies and other important equipment...

A camera to record funny moments and a mini footy!

I'll have a proper think and post later with some equipment that I use.

BTW I heard that the only thing you had to take into Bear country was a friend that can't run as fast as you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif?

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
my petromax kerosene lanterns
they blow coleman gasoline or propane lanterns away

Is it safe to camp with out a gun any more ?

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Eric I'm not sure what Benthead means by 'just add pee' but if you dig a relatively shallow and wide pit, put a water catching container in the centre of it, put moist foliage or pee (in extreme circumstances or if you're just keen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) in the ditch. Cover with some type of tarpaulin etc, securing the edges with rocks or some other weights, and put a smallish pebble in the middle of the tarp over the container. Then Just sit back and let the sun do its job, your pee turns into water /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The pee comment comes from the latest and greatest thing in military food packets. They have a new filter-type thing that purifies water for the dehydrated goodness /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif They claim that, in a pinch... you can use urine and the filter will "clean" it.
Not recommended unless you really, really, REALLY have to though. Within 5 minutes of these things being released, someone will pee into the filter to check it out. Don't count on that person being me!

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
an excellent free fire starting aid is dryer lint its virtually weightless and it can be stored in a pill bottle till needed, it ignites very easily, I carry a bag of intake valves from an engine to use as tent stakes when in dry hard dirt areas, they can be hammered into the ground to secure the tent, the wire stakes that are normally provided have a tendency to bend easily and become unusable quickly. I always have one of the "space age" mylar blankets with my camping gear, I have never needed it yet but it weighs so little for its capabilities for use for warmth, signalling I take one along.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you are caving, you will probably have a headlamp with you anyway, but it is worth repeating that there is nothing more handy than a good headlamp when camping. The Tikka Plus is my favorite.

When sleeping on the ground, or even on a cot, a Therm-a-rest air mattress will aid your comfort tremendously.

Having an actual tick removal tool (not tweesers) is a good precaution. There is no safe, effective way to remove a tick without one and you usually can't buy one quickly when you need it.

Take some anti-itch cream such as cortizone to tame any bug bites you will definitely get. Your companions will love you for this.

Foam ear plugs will help you sleep when the people around you are snoring or otherwise making noise.

Take some entertainment such as a frisbee, guitar, marshmallows, book, etc.

And finally, a carefree attitude and some fun people to share the experience with will guarantee a good time.