Who else love winter camping?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Too cold for me. Though I do see your point about sites being empty of obnoxiously overly-friendly people.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I nearly froze on a winter campout in Boy Scouts, but that was not my fault. My parents did not equip me with the proper gear. Summer hiking boots, cotton socks, summer sleeping bag on an army surplus cot, insufficient clothing... I spent as much time as I could hanging out in the summer camp's mess hall, that was heated. I have nerve damage in my feet, probably from that campout.

NO! I DO NOT ENJOY WINTER CAMPING! :rant: If I ever become homeless, I guess I'll become nomadic like the Plains Indians, and go South for the winter, and North for the summer. :au:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the occasional winter camping trip. One time we decided to bail at around midnight though because we were too cold. The next time it was about 18 degrees Fahrenheit (plus windy) and we made it though, mostly due to having better gear. It was actually pretty cool because we backpacked near a small overlook on New Year's Eve, and in the distance we could see some fireworks!

Poppy

Flashaholic
My first winter camping trip was with the scouts. At least the one that I remember was a winter trip, because we were up the side of a mountain, on a foot of snow.
I guess for the most part, we all had Spring/Fall sleeping bags. We had floorless tents, Baker tents.
I remember sleeping back to back with another scout. That was the only part that was warm, I think I got a few hours sleep. In the morning my feet were cold. I had slid down the hill under and out the back of the tent.

1699651042410.png

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I never went camping but I think I'd like winter camping more than summer camping, so long as I have the proper gear to deal with the temps. No bugs is a big plus just for starters. And the camp grounds are going to be much emptier. I think late fall or early spring camping I might like even more.

Poppy

Flashaholic
so long as I have the proper gear to deal with the temps.
That my friend is KEY to a good winter camping experience.
If you ask woodswalker, that probably includes a wood burning stove, inside the tent.

Even early Spring, or Late Fall it can get pretty darn cold in our neck of the woods. Personally I don't handle the cold as well as I used to. Regarding good gear, I have two sets of the MSS Military Sleep System, good for a 20 Year Old in good shape to get 5 hours of sleep in -50F.

For me it works down to 20F. Below that I won't test it. ;)

Poppy

Flashaholic
OK so here's a winter camping trip story.
A few years ago, I think it was 1974 my best friend's girlfriend wanted us to take her brother on a camping trip, because he had never gone. We agreed.

We went to a scouts rugged campsite, with a artesian well and pit toilets. We stayed in a lean-to. My friend and I each only had Spring/Fall sleeping bags, perhaps supplemented with a blanket. Well the temps dipped. I mean REALLY dipped. This kid who came from a wealthy family had gotten a warm mummy bag. He was going on and on about how warm he was going to be, and that we were going to freeze our a$$es off.

Shortly after we bedded down my friend said, "Hey, what do you say that we jump into ONE bag, and put the other over us?" My response was... hell yeah!

In the morning, the braggart was complaining that he was freezing and that he didn't sleep all night! "And the two of you were SNORING!"

raggie33

*the raggedier*
give me a wool blanket when i camp best one i had dad got at garage sale id guess 2 bucks.. im very sure it was from like the ww2 era a bit smelly buy so warm. plus way faster to get out of then a mummy bag lol incase a bear wants to say hello

raggie33

*the raggedier*
All winter long is my camping season. No bugs!

Of course our coldest 3 months average low temperatures of 43, 40, and 43. :)
still not sure what are winters are like here but today is a no jacket day .. ps got to love a campfire when its cold