Can I replace my Alkaline AAA's with recharhgeable AAA's in 1.5v?

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
You won't go wrong with Energizer lithiums. They will power a remote for a long time and they won't ruin your remote by leaking.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, I was in a store the other day and found the Energizer Ultimate Lithiums. Didn't look like the ones I found on amazon and I can't find anywhere
where it says L92 (haven't opened the pack yet) but it says 8x longer lasting so I would assume that these are good enough?

George

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another question. These powergenix 1.5v rechargeable or whatever they are. I have a pack of them but never even used them. Are they ok or do I need to take them out and charge them regularly? They are unused?

Thanks

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
guiri, those are the batteries you want.

I don't think that the Powergenix batteries were around long enough to determine the best shelf storage protocol. For sure you don't want to touch NiCad's when they are new if they won't be used for a while. Some say cycle the NiMH's regularly whether you use them or not, but it does not seem to matter with Eneloops.

I have a bunch of back-up ones for the cameras, as these are the only rechargables they seem to like. I am going with just leaving them in the package until I need them, and if a few don't hold charge, no biggie. I have already lost a couple of the ones in circulation, no longer able to hold charge.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright boys. You were right about those energizers. NOT that I had any doubts or I wouldn't have come here in the first place.

Anyway, battery ran out and I kept popping others in that I had laying in the car, trying to milk the last juice out of them
so to speak and they barely turned the unit on.

THEN, I popped one of them silver suckers in and the whole damn thing lit up like a Christmas tree.
The little melody it plays when it restarts so to speak has never been this loud. I don't even remember
it being this loud when I had duracell alkalines in it years ago.

Awesome.

George

fyrstormer

Banned
The Energizer Lithium AA/AAA batteries have a full-charge voltage of 1.7v. It's not enough of a difference to damage (almost all) circuitry, but it's enough to give most devices a nice kick in the pants.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The Energizer Lithium AA/AAA batteries have a full-charge voltage of 1.7v. It's not enough of a difference to damage (almost all) circuitry, but it's enough to give most devices a nice kick in the pants.
Actually they have a no load voltage new of 1.8V or so. I've measured 1.83v on some I got. That is about 20% higher than ~1.5v cells.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, if I need to replace my Eneloop AAA's, what should I replace them with?

What's good/better and possibly more powerful? LSD options like the Eneloops are preferred.

Also, what voltage should they be at when charged to be considered good and at what point should I discard them?

I need to check my batteries.

Also, what voltage should the AA eneloops be at when charged and at what point should I discard them?

Thanks

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Replace eneloops? Unless you damaged them they are about the best there is in LSD nimh.... none more powerful or better.
If you are using a smart charger then you shouldn't have to be concerned with voltage.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Explain the smart charger comment to me please

I want to measure them to see if they're ok

I was sending my mom some cordless phones and was gonna fill'em up with batteries
but I don't think I have to send away my eneloops as it seems I have others
to fill up the phones, but I still need to know what a AA and AAA ni-mh should
be at when charged to make sure it's good. I don't need her having problems

Thanks

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
Guiri,

Do you know what type of alarm you have? Is it something similar to the Viper 5901 that will alert you when the car has been broken into? With the 5901 your remote is kinda shaped like a little pager. It's a transmitter and a receiver. When someone pry's open your driver side rear door, it tells you someone pried open your driver side rear door, etc.

I'm just curious what car remote uses so much juice.

HKJ

Flashaholic
A smart charger is a charger that stops charging every few seconds so it can measure the charge in the battery, so it can stop charging when the battery reaches full voltage.

That was a new definition of a smart charger. I would usual define it as one that has independent channels and uses -dv/dt as primary termination.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guiri,

Do you know what type of alarm you have? Is it something similar to the Viper 5901 that will alert you when the car has been broken into? With the 5901 your remote is kinda shaped like a little pager. It's a transmitter and a receiver. When someone pry's open your driver side rear door, it tells you someone pried open your driver side rear door, etc.

I'm just curious what car remote uses so much juice.

Yep, viper but I don't have it in front of me right now. If you want to, I can look it up though.

It does what you say and looks like a pager and that damn thing has some incredible reach :)

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
HKJ, I think you may both be right. I don't think the charger can actually measure the battery votage while it is passing current into the battery, as it's incoming charge is at a votage above what the battery actually will rest at, so it does need to pause the charge process at intervals to record the battery voltage, and look for the start of voltage drop. So it is really a very long cycle "pulse" charge, in order to keep track of what the battery is doing.

guiri, look at chargers like the Maha C9000 and LaCrosse BC-700. You are not so much interested in what the battery's resting voltage is but rather how many milli-Amp hours of capacity it can store and deliver. These chargers can run a cycle test and tell you this.

Last edited:

Latest posts