Can you recommend a single cr123 flashlight with a clickie?

X_Marine

Enlightened
AArcVarc said:
I can't believe the Free.Light Spartanian hasn't been mentioned yet, especially on St. Paddy's day. I got one early in Feb. and it is brighter by a smidge than my P1D CE but is bigger and heavier by a smidgen. Battery Junction has them and I've read they've been selling nicely. Price with shipping is <$50. It's nicely regulated and has a real long runtime on low. Less than an hour on high. 2 level only. It's a pleaser!
That is a nice little light for the price. I'm not really sure when I ordered it but seems I was doing some research late night and came across it and ordered.

It was one of those, " well this is a nice surprise " type things.

I have seen very little discussion on it but it does have a really nice beam & spill. My only request would be to lighten the clicky pressure a bit.

ThanX
X.

22hornet

Enlightened
As mentioned already: Surefire E1L or L1 (or wait till the Cree versions come out)
Peak Glacier Bay / Peak Atlantic / Peak Caribbean / Peak Mediterranean / Peak McKinley ---> all these Peaks can be fitted with Peak's excellent momentary switch.

Kind regards,
Joris

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
AArcVarc said:
I can't believe the Free.Light Spartanian hasn't been mentioned yet, especially on St. Paddy's day. I got one early in Feb. and it is brighter by a smidge than my P1D CE but is bigger and heavier by a smidgen. Battery Junction has them and I've read they've been selling nicely. Price with shipping is <$50. It's nicely regulated and has a real long runtime on low. Less than an hour on high. 2 level only. It's a pleaser!

I agree, the Spartanian, which is loosely based on the Vinet, seems like a fantastic light! You can see it at BatteryJunction.com. The Vinet is an excellent light, one that deserves WAY more consideration that it usually gets. Very bright with a wide spot, yet excellent spill. Good throw too. The Spartanian is pretty much different from the ground up. Different driver, optics, I think hard adonize finish, rather than Type II, regulated, etc. All in all a drastically improved light and a great deal. I'm surprised I haven't ordered one yet! I have two Vinets, and they're great all around lights too. The Lumapower D-Mini is great too, especially if you need a lot of throw...you can also see that one at BatteryJunction.com. I've heard nothing but great things about Matt, the owner...and fellow CPF member.

SEMIJim

Enlightened
It's hard to argue that the Free.Light Spartanian isn't a damn good deal at less than $50 U.S., but I'm put off by that yellowish halo it's got. True, the Amilite Neo T5 is about twice the cost of the Spartanian, but I like the beam pattern better (more floody) and it hasn't that yellow artifact.

Nebula

Enlightened
xiaowenzu said:
My advice is to wait for Surefire Crees which are coming out in June. They're heaps brighter than the ones now. But if you are desperate for a light get the Surefire L1::grin2:
l1_large.jpg

Tailcap switch: press for momentary-on low beam, press further for high beam, twist for constant-on.

And then have Milkyspit mod it and you won't have to wait until June.

Chao

Enlightened
Nebula said:
And then have Milkyspit mod it and you won't have to wait until June.
That's what I thought, hi Scott, how's my light going :candle:

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
With all the McGizmo fans on here (myself included) I can't believe nobody mentioned the Aleph line of lights yet or even the McCree lineup.

You have four heads sizes to choose from, three cell tube sizes, and many different tailcap assemblies to choose from plus many variants from customs makers. Light engines are easy to change and you can even build your own custom LE with unlimited options.

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
22hornet said:
Peak Glacier Bay / Peak Atlantic / Peak Caribbean / Peak Mediterranean / Peak McKinley ---> all these Peaks can be fitted with Peak's excellent momentary switch.
Where can one get this switch? I didn't see anything about it on Peak's website.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boomerang said:
Just carry another battery or two for extended runtime and leave the flashlight nice and compact.

Andy

The waterproof match holders in the camping section of Walmart and elsewhere, available for less than a dollar, are great for carrying a pair of 123 cells. I've got one in my daypack pretty much all the time. Make sure you get a NON-METALLIC one to avoid shorting-out the cells! :eek:oo:

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
GeorgePaul said:
Where can one get this switch? I didn't see anything about it on Peak's website.

I can't find it either, it seems the site is being updated. Keep in mind that this switch is only a momentary switch and not a clickie. It replaces the key ring plug on the tail end, you still need to twist the head for a constant on mode.

Latest posts