Canon 5D or Nikon D300?

andromeda.73

Banned
I know, not another Canon vs Nikon thread.

I've always been a Canon guy (amateur). I started with the AE-1 about 20 years ago, then the Rebel EOS and now I have a D60. Lately I've been looking to upgrade. I've had my eye on the 5D for quite some time, because of the full frame sensor. I miss wide angle shots. My lenses are outdated also, so I was going to upgrade them too.

I had my mind made up to get the 5D, then it happened. I met a guy who happened to have a Nikon D200 with him. I took a brief look at it, and I was really impressed. I liked the way it felt, and how everything was laid out, much better then the 5D I looked at.

I started doing research on Nikon (not being familiar with their system), and came across their newest body, the D300. Though not yet released, I'm really considering jumping over to Nikon, and pre-ordering it. Also impressive is their 18-200mm lens. That and their 12-24mm, for the wide angle shots I've been missing, is all I need. Well those and the always fun 10.5mm Fisheye.

I have yet to push the button, so I thought I'd get some input from CPF'ers. Any Canon users that switched to Nikon? Anyone considering the D300? Also, anyone have a small sensor Nikon using the 12-24mm lens? I know it's not quite as wide as a full frame using a 14mm, but how does it compare quality wise? I wonder if Nikon will be coming out with a 10-22mm similar to Canon's. That would be equivalent to a 15mm on full frame. Then I'd be sold on Nikon in a heart beat.

Thanks in advance.

compare and learn! Take the new Nikon D3S and takes your mind forever.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0910/09101403nikond3shandson.asp

Last edited:

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, what an old thread! Actually I've been off the forum for quite some time now. I'm just now starting to get caught up.

Anyway, to give you guys an update, I did purchase the D300 and kept it for a couple years. Then I sold it on ebay. It was a great camera, and I'd have probably kept it forever if it weren't for the D700 (my next camera).

I like to do a lot of night (low light) photoagraphy, so the D700 will fit my needs perfectly. It's the same body as the D300 with the same sensor as the D3. What more could you want? I'm not sure it can be improved upon other than Bells and Whistles. I've checked both the top Canon and Nikon bodies, and I like the Nikon best. Hopefully the D700 will be the last DSLR body I buy (ya right... lol).

Erich1B

Newly Enlightened
Wow, what an old thread! Actually I've been off the forum for quite some time now. I'm just now starting to get caught up.

Anyway, to give you guys an update, I did purchase the D300 and kept it for a couple years. Then I sold it on ebay. It was a great camera, and I'd have probably kept it forever if it weren't for the D700 (my next camera).

I like to do a lot of night (low light) photoagraphy, so the D700 will fit my needs perfectly. It's the same body as the D300 with the same sensor as the D3. What more could you want? I'm not sure it can be improved upon other than Bells and Whistles. I've checked both the top Canon and Nikon bodies, and I like the Nikon best. Hopefully the D700 will be the last DSLR body I buy (ya right... lol).

If you wait a bit, both Nikon and Canon should offer updates to both the D700, and Canon EOS 5D Mark II.

I'm in the market for a full frame DSLR, and I'm going to hold off for now until after September when hopefully Nikon and Canon will release some new cameras.

X Racer

Enlightened
If you wait a bit, both Nikon and Canon should offer updates to both the D700, and Canon EOS 5D Mark II.

I'm in the market for a full frame DSLR, and I'm going to hold off for now until after September when hopefully Nikon and Canon will release some new cameras.

It isn't looking like the D700 replacement will come this year...

Erich1B

Newly Enlightened
It isn't looking like the D700 replacement will come this year...

Perhaps not.

It will be interesting to see what Nikon and Canon unveil at the 2010 Photokina Fair this coming September 21 to 26.

Since I'm in no rush to get a full frame DSLR, if Nikon doesn't release the update to the D700 until next year It won't hurt my feelings.

What I'm really hoping for is Canon's update to the EOS 5D Mark II, as I'm leaning towards a Canon at the moment. But, I don't think someone could go wrong with either a Nikon or Canon.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't done much research on Camera's lately. Anyone know what improvements Nikon will have in the D700 replacement?

Erich1B

Newly Enlightened
I haven't done much research on Camera's lately. Anyone know what improvements Nikon will have in the D700 replacement?

Just internet rumors so take them for that, but more megapixels (currently 12.1) and video capability are two of the rumors that I've read about.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just internet rumors so take them for that, but more megapixels (currently 12.1) and video capability are two of the rumors that I've read about.

Neither of which are important to me. Adding more Pixels is like slicing the same pie more times. You still end up with the same amount of pie. As far as video in a camera made for stills, no thanks. If I want video, I'll use a video camera.

Like I said before, there's not much they could do to improve the D700 other than Bells & Whistles. When I'm ready to buy, I'll still prolly buy the D700, even if the new version is out. I think the only reason I might buy a new version is if it didn't have an Infrared filter. Then I could then take some cool astro shots. But who knows, we'll just have to wait and see.