Car? (Pocket Rocket)

NetMage

Enlightened
I'd have to say Toyota MR-2 (had an 1989 SC) - a serious sports car with Toyota quality /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I'm old, I wanna...

Catherham 7 with a ported and polished rotary and huuuugggge brakes on all corners. Or...

MiniCooper S. An old one with ambulance doors and lots of Paddy Hopkirk goodies or maybe even one o' them new fangled BMW versions. Or...

Renault r5 Turbo, full rally prepped. Not exactly yer average LeCar. Or...

Audi Quattro SWB Grp. B rally car. Complete with Michelle Mouton.

I like smaller cars. 'Course if I needed someting a little larger I could force myself to settle for an Aston Martin or three...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Okay ya'll. Just cause I'm busted most of the time, and have a thing for 87-89 Integra GS-Rs...

Let's still talk about eh?

Yesterday I got passed by an honest to God Ferrari F360! Who could actually drive such a thing?

If I'm going to get any traction with this pocket rocket thing, I need to be thinking hatchback or 5-door. So I can stick a toolbox and some parts in for long run simple repair jobs.

Whataya got?

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darn. It doesn't meet your "cheap" criterion, but...

It's not "pocket" at all, but it is "rocket" and has the 5-doors you'd want --

Volvo wagon V70 R, manual trans.
0-60 in 5.6 sec.
(which is how close to a Porsche Boxster S and cost $10K less and is a real full-sized wagon?)

It ain't cheap, but it is totally reliable. Plus, it has AWD, so stick mudguards & snow tires on it and you can get through anything in the winter. (Not that TX has a large percentage of its land covered with snow in the winter, but if you're travelling...)

It's the everything-car.

That Ariel, though. Wow. Totally cool idea. I wonder if it'll ever be street legal in the U.S.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
my 88 grand am with the w41 high output quad four is a fun car to drive.
I kick citation x11 butt - easy - not even in my class.
still x11's are getting rare.
I had the the intake head and exaust extrude honed and did a lot of other mod's.

very relaiable too.

I wish I had a restored 1987 buick grand natiional gnx.
gm called this car project vader.
the car darth vader would drive.

3.8 sfi turbo intercooled v6 276 hp - 360lbs of tourque at 3000 rpm.
0 to 60 4.7 seconds
with simple mod's 400 hp and 0 to 60 under 4 seconds was possible.

at one time the 87 buick gn was the fastest stock mass produced 1/4 mile car you could buy in the US.

Kremer

Enlightened
I just bought a Dodge SRT-4 two weeks ago. This thing is pretty quick. ....Although he tried, he did not even manage to lose me. This SRT-4 is nice.

I have a blue '04 love it. :devil::devil::sssh:

I wish I had a restored 1987 buick grand natiional gnx.
gm called this car project vader.
the car darth vader would drive.

3.8 sfi turbo intercooled v6 276 hp - 360lbs of tourque at 3000 rpm.
0 to 60 4.7 seconds
with simple mod's 400 hp and 0 to 60 under 4 seconds was possible.

at one time the 87 buick gn was the fastest stock mass produced 1/4 mile car you could buy in the US.

At a test 'n tune night years ago at the dragstrip I lined up against a GNX, the guy was just laughing at me (I was in my old 97 neon DOHC 150hp 5spd, which was a pocket rocket in its own right). I beat him badly at the tree and to about the 330'. Then I heard what sounded like an F16 closing on me. He shot past, with a pillar of soot from the sewer pipe exhaust, so fast I thought I had the neon in reverse. He ran a low 10 to my 15.6

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it's been five years. :)

Ever pull the trigger on that Integra, PlyaboyJoeShmoe?

Sadly, here in the US anyway, the new, inexpensive pocket rocket segment is all but gone.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Sadly, here in the US anyway, the new, inexpensive pocket rocket segment is all but gone.

It's still there, it just seems slower compared to the newer genres. The Honda Civic Si is a good example, it's barely $20k to start and has specs just slightly better than the model from the start of this decade - but back then it was a viable contender against a V6 Camaro or Mustang; today, even if you dumped several grand in boosting the Si, there's no way it would keep up with the current six-cylinder pony cars..

It should be noted that Playboy mentioned curvy roads; front wheel drive would not be my first choice for that application..

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly... what's left of sport compact market is now as overweight as everything else in this country. The Civic Si looks OK, but HP and torque are the same as the Integra Type R of a decade ago, and the Civic Si is 400 lbs heavier. Plus, Honda gave up their other big advantage of the past two decades when they replaced their fantastic double wishbone front set-ups with the current MacPhearson struts. (And if the CR-Z is an indication of future Honda development, you can kiss the independent rear suspension goodbye too.)

All we have left in the US is the Mini (and the Miata, I guess), but add a few options to the Mini and they get expensive in a hurry. My performance-minded neighbor just bought one, and with his desired options, it topped $40K.

I can't think of a current front wheel drive car (other than a Mini) that I'd want to hit the twisties with, but there's plenty of recent FWD sub-compacts that handled extremely well: the aforementioned Integra Type R, SVT Focus, Protege MP3, 2000 and earlier Civic Si, early 90's Sentra SE-R, 1st-gen Neon ACR, etc.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I'd go for the WRX to get through the section as quickly as possible, but not necessarily for the most fun drive.

For current not-so-expensive cars, the V6 Mustang (2011 model year specifically) would probably be the thrill ride, 300+ horsepower for <$22k (and 29 MPG!)

In the used category, any 90's-era BMW 3-series would work nicely..

BIGLOU

Enlightened
My friends JDM EK9 with a B16B on Desmond Regamasters and my JDM front end 01 DC2R with Jackson Racing Supercharger B18C5 on Volk Racing TE-37s. Have not broken off any new Camaros and Mustangs yet I'm sure it wont be a problem. :devil:
DSC01374-1.jpg

ama230

Enlightened
I'd go for the WRX to get through the section as quickly as possible, but not necessarily for the most fun drive.

For current not-so-expensive cars, the V6 Mustang (2011 model year specifically) would probably be the thrill ride, 300+ horsepower for <$22k (and 29 MPG!)

In the used category, any 90's-era BMW 3-series would work nicely..

There is no way that thing will see 30mpg and that's being generous. For it being a RWD and 3.7L, its basically just short of a big block with two cylinders cut off.

Also all of the domestics DO NOT get anything better than 30MPG and this is a fact, especially if they have a v8. Unless it is at a stand still or rolling downhill while in neutral. These are physics and you cannot break them or at least surpass them.

Also here is a cool fact. A toyota prius at freeway speed gets worse gas mileage than a 92 Honda Civic. These hybrids come with a smaller engine than needed and when it trys too hard its actually wasting gas. Yhere needs to be a happy medium, like a turbo 4cyl...etc. Then there is some hope that you will get better gas mileage as your increasing the standard 30-40% mechanical engine efficiency to above 50% as you are maximizing cylinder displacement.

I agree with the fwd not being great on curvy roads but with good rubber and decent shocks there are fwd that will beat most rwd in a road track.

Also for the awd, there is no substitution, these things ride on rails basically. Then again increasing efficiency with power being transferred to the ground, you will:

1) Have a blast!!!

2) Save gas...

3) Less maintainance as force is being equally distributed on drive terrain..

4) Eat corners with plenty of left overs....

Also a miata is alright but its a bath tub with wheels... I would rather drive a smart car and its pretty dang embarrassing. Even though it has great weight distribution its an ugly car with no functionality. Any fwd can beat it around a curvy track.

There is nothing better than a honda civic with a turbo as you are getting 30+mpg and eat any corvette that putts along. $2k for car and another $2k for turbo kit will get you a 11sec car that will not turn good but will make you crap your pants.

The best pocket rocket next to an mitsubishi evo or a subaru sti is a new civic si. Its only a 4cyl....

A 240 is for sure the overall winner for a great track car, 50/50 weight distribution and an awesome engine platform. This is for the budget conscious.

Then for the semi-budget the absolute best is a Nissan Skyline and there is nothing that could beat or come close to this as it would take a 1Million dollar american car to beat it and it only cost 60K brand new.

Then again most of the suggestions are my opinion but the facts are logic.:thinking:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Have not broken off any new Camaros and Mustangs yet I'm sure it wont be a problem.

It will be, actually; The current V6 Mustang is quicker than the 2005-and-previous V8 models even in the quarter mile, so unless you're running north of 300hp with nitrous and a diff, you're in for a surprise..

There is nothing better than a honda civic with a turbo as you are getting 30+mpg and eat any corvette

I stopped reading there.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no way that thing will see 30mpg and that's being generous. For it being a RWD and 3.7L, its basically just short of a big block with two cylinders cut off.

Also all of the domestics DO NOT get anything better than 30MPG and this is a fact, especially if they have a v8. Unless it is at a stand still or rolling downhill while in neutral. These are physics and you cannot break them or at least surpass them.

Um, yes it will. Highway driving with 305hp and 31mpg is a go with a high-torque engine, an ultra-low (overdrive) top gear, variable valve timing, and cruise control. You'll basically cruise down the highway at just above idle.