help me choose a cheap new car?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i was shocked when he said he went subaru lol matter fact i was on it and thought it was toyota. big huge suv and gets amazeing mpg

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bang for buck Subaru scores okay.
Some models are made (or assembled) in USA.
For best auto trans, imo Honda 9sp wins over CVT hands down.. But you're paying more for Honda.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
My little '82 Subaru hatchback had a 4WD transfer case(!) that was perfect for our terrain. One time the clutch cable broke on the edge of town; had to drive to a retired mechanic friend ~20 miles away, hard shitfting without a clutch (friend gave me tips). Had to deal with 2 stoplights that actually sort of cooperated. Success in the end. Friend had a junker we pulled clutch cable from.

Mechanic friend was not a fan of CVT at all. I still say going electric is better if possible; not likely to have a complicated transmission to deal with.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
are work trucks clutch broke i got used to know clutch shifting lol stoping and starting sucked lol

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shifting up through the gears without a clutch using a synchro box works. It's the downshifting that's sketchy.. For emergency getting home, or to mechanic shop, best to go very slow and stay in a gear close to neutral for stops.. Harder to do with a muscle car than an old VW (-;

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Shifting up through the gears without a clutch using a synchro box works.
I do this with some regularity once I reach cruising gear - pop out then nudge the shifter into the final gear.

It's the downshifting that's sketchy.
Indeed. Blipping the throttle seems to merely halve the odds of polishing the gears no matter how gently you attempt to engage the next gear down as the engine finds the driveshaft RPMs.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Helical cut gears will mesh better than older straight cut.. Still like you mention "polishing gears" is a given. Best to tow/trailer to a shop.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
…Best to tow/trailer to a shop.
But the towing cost would have totaled the vehicle.

I try to remember to choose first gear when driving our rough road, instead of 'drive' and brakes.

Curious that Tacoma manual does not want people to put vehicle in neutral when at a stoplight. Any reason from a member here?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
dad bought that big suburu suvs i think its a 2022 are they decent ?
Subarus tend to have electrical issues. Even when new. A good friend of mine didn't know that when he got his Subaru Crosstrek a couple of years back. Within two months, he definitely knew about the issue. Thankfully, he had leased it like the numerous other cars in his life. It was so bad, he decided he couldn't live with it for the next year and 10 months. He managed to somehow work out a deal with a local to him KIA dealership to get rid of it. And, bought a KIA Soul.

Must admit, the whole Crosstrek thing seemed weird to me. He had leased a Soul prior to getting the Crosstrek, and raved about how incredible the Soul was for his needs. He'd love to get a Plug-In electric Soul. But KIA isn't bringing that variation to America. So, he's taking a serious look at the Plug-In KIA Niro; instead.

Regarding Automatic trannys:
They have become just as reliable as Manual ones. The one on my Mazda 6 V6 has been going strong for almost 14 years now. No issues with it at all. Shifts so smoothly and so well that I don't even bother with the manual mode option on my car. With the exception of the horrid Jatco CVT Automatic trannys, all automatics are now extremely reliable.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
My son tells me Toyota owns a portion of Suburu and colaborate on some of their vehicles.
Yup. Probably the best example is the Subaru BRZ and its almost near identical twin sister, the Toyota GR86. Both made by Subaru. The cars are tuned a bit differently though. Have a couple of different features. Overall, I'd say the Toyota badged variation is a little better than the one wearing its true Subaru badges. (At least in terms of driving dynamics.)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My Ford work truck has a 10 speed auto that shifted so smooth at first you'd think somebody had backed it up to a giant rubber band and launched it "pyooooonggg" but after a few months the computer got things all screwy. If I drive like my best friend is an egg beneath the gas pedal it shifts erratic. It gets confused which gear to select. "Do we want 3rd or 4th gear...pause, think, pause, ok 4th it is".... like a 70's auto tranny with a clogged filter.
Turns out to be pretty common and apparently can be fixed by resetting the tranny computer....as often as required. Booooo!!
Drive it like you hate and it shifts perfect. Makes me think Ford made a deal with big oil to cause drivers to drive more aggressive, therefore use more fuel.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
by the way what is up with jerks who put a 2000 dollar muffler on a 500 dollar car. its so damn loud wakes me up everynight. maybe its just a southern thing. now everyime he wakes me i light his *** up with many lumens. if he sees me now he just coast quilty away from me lol.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
by the way what is up with jerks who put a 2000 dollar muffler on a 500 dollar car. its so damn loud wakes me up everynight. maybe its just a southern thing. now everyime he wakes me i light his *** up with many lumens. if he sees me now he just coast quilty away from me lol.
Can confirm, that nonsense is not confined to the South.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
but why do they do it? i laugh at them when it isnt at 3 am..

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
We got those pop-pop-pop jerks here in Cali.. Those exhaust mods can't possibly be street legal.
What's the point, sounds like cr@p, and can't be good for the motor. I don't get it..

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, really different.
I had a comet, a Lincoln version of the Maverick.
I guess they are bringing the low price/dependable name tag back.
The Maverick was marketed @ $1995 to compete with the German Volkswagen in price
IMO In comparison the VW was a POS.
I had a '74 Comet came with a 302 V8. Stock motor was too much hp for the cars frame (wheelbase) Got rid of the skinny wheels and tires helped, and tightened up suspension. Back when fuel was @ .60ct gal, who cared if it's a gas guzzler

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I have a Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid Truck. 29K OTD
38-42MPG. Depends on how I drive.
One of the best car I have ever bought.

20220125_151941.jpg