Cars, Man

StarHalo

Flashaholic
2010 Porsche 911 Turbo 3.8, 0-60 in 3 seconds even (and LED daytime lights). Now even the Porsches are racing sport bikes..

2010911turbo.jpg

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's an awesome porsche, but the front end reminds me of the newer VW beetle.
Every time I see a 911 all I see is a VW Beetle. To me the 911 IS the modern day water cooled sporty Beetle, really just a steady evolution of what Ferdinand Porsche originally developed in the 1930s.
icon10.gif

Ging

Newly Enlightened
About a mile from where I live in Crickhowell, on Llangattock Mountain.
The road is the B4560 a favourite of motoring magazines in the UK.

A beautiful part of the country, a friend of mine lives just outside Crick.

Onuris

Newly Enlightened
My kid hauler, '08 Mercedes GL550 AMG- took these pics when it was new, kids have trashed it a bit since then!

mb_gl550_1.jpg

mb_gl550_2.jpg

mb_gl550_3.jpg

mb_gl550_4.jpg

mb_gl550_5.jpg

My weekend toy, 97 Porsche 993 Carrera 4s, last of the air-cooled 911s

97_911_4s_3.jpg

97_911_4s_4.jpg

97_911_4s_5.jpg

Here are some that I would love to own if I could ever afford or justify spending the cash for any of them

Obsidian CoupeR '67 Mustang

obsidian_coupeR_1.jpg

obsidian_coupeR_2.jpg

RCR Series 3 '69 Camaro

1969RCRSeries3Camaro5.jpg

1969RCRSeries3Camaro1.jpg

1969RCRSeries3Camaro7.jpg

Hennessey Venom 1000R

Venom750R_3.jpg

Venom750R_4.jpg

Venom750R_5.jpg

TVR Sagaris

2005_TVR_Sagaris9.jpg

2005_TVR_Sagaris8.jpg

Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione

alfa-8c_1-2.jpg

Alfa_Romeo_8C_Competizione_4.jpg

Mercedes SL65 AMG Black Series

2009-mercedes-sl65-amg-bl-1_1600x0w.jpg

2009-mercedes-sl65-amg-bl-4-1_800x0.jpg

Ferrari F458

ferrari_458_01.jpg

ferrari_458_02.jpg

LEDobsession

Enlightened
Here are some that I would love to own if I could ever afford or justify spending the cash for any of them

Obsidian CoupeR '67 Mustang

RCR Series 3 '69 Camaro

Hennessey Venom 1000R

Those are sweet!
Glad to see Im not the only one with a taste for American Muscle. :thumbsup:

buickid

Enlightened
Well no one said they had to be fast!
Heres a car/truck I love, the older Toyota Land Cruisers. Built like a tank, made to work. Third world countries love em!

This is a soft top 1973 FJ40 with a PTO winch, 3.9L I6, and a three on the floor. :D Toyota advertising claimed "it cruises comfortably at 85MPH everyday on the freeway!" It might reach 85, but it would be neither comfortable nor cruising!:crackup:

Landcruiser.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Speaking of not being fast, would you buy this car?

fiat500q.jpg

Sure I would! ... Hold on, I know I've got at least $2 in my pocket. My little niece is going to love driving that toy. She'll be a year old in a few months. Hope she doesn't outgrow it in a few weeks. ;)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If I could own one classic car, would have to be a 1949 Mercury coupe ...

49mercury.jpg

StarHalo

Flashaholic
How far we've come: Seemingly mismatched drag racing

I've been marveling lately at this new horsepower revolution we're in the middle of, and how it in some ways dwarfs the first one; the muscle car age. For those who haven't been keeping score, let's put some old and new classics on a hypothetical drag strip built from test numbers/statistics and have at it..

First race:
judgevscamry.jpg

1969 Pontiac GTO "The Judge" vs 2009 Toyota Camry V6

The definitive muscle car versus the definitive family car. The Judge versus the desk clerk. Not much of a race here on first glance, just two good examples from two completely different genres of car. Solid Detroit Iron and Solid Japanese plastic.

They look even more disparate side-by-side on a track, and as the light goes green, the Judge builds up a just-right amount of wheelspin with a bit of smoke from the rear, as does the Camry with a bit of smoke from the front, and the Camry pulls ahead notably. The rest of the race is the Judge slowly catching up - including at the finish line. The GTO is rolling a full 5 mph faster than the Toyota, but is a tenth of a second behind. A couple hundred more feet might even things, but the Camry gets the win.

Results -(0-60/E.T.@mph)
Camry - 5.8/14.3@93
Judge - 6.2/14.4@98

Maybe we just need a muscle car with a bigger engine..

Second race:
gsxvswrx.jpg

1970 Buick GSX vs 2009 Subaru WRX

Talk about disparate, now we've got 455 cubic inches versus 150. 510 lb-ft of torque versus 244. The GSX represents a bygone horsepower era for Buick, and certainly looks the part, while the Subaru resembles a rental sedan with a "look-at-how-Fast-And-Furious-I-Am" hood scoop.

But it all goes upside-down on the track; the Buick's rear wheels spool up a perfect launch just in time to see the Subaru lean back on its haunches and rocket away without so much as chirping the tires. It would take a persistent GSX driver to continue at this point - the Subaru is so far ahead that it looks like an eleven second car. And with both competitors keeping the throttle buried, the Buick crosses the finish line a third of a second behind and one mph slower, a solid win for the "Rex".

Results -(0-60/E.T.@mph)
WRX - 4.7/13.5@102
GSX - 6.5/13.8@101

Maybe the modern car entrant just needs a weight handicap..

Third race:
stingrayvsx5m.jpg

1966 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 427 vs 2010 BMW X5M

Well no example of modern cars would be complete without at least one SUV in there somewhere, and the Bimmer's 5,300lb curb weight gives one heck of an edge to the more than a ton lighter Vette. Plus the X5 is an automatic.

And it happens again; the Corvette driver is instantly treated to the view of the back end of a newer car pulling away without drama, but this time it's an SUV with a three-ton tow rating. The Stingray manages to match the BMW for speed farther down the track, but the big German box flies across the finish line a third of a second quicker.

Results -(0-60/E.T.@mph)
BMW - 4.0/12.5@112
Corvette - 5.4/12.8@112

Let's just skip to the big guns..

Fourth race:
cobravspanamera.jpg

1966 Shelby Cobra 427
vs 2010 Porsche Panamera

The race car driver's race car versus ..a sedan? Trying to race 4400lbs of grand touring leather and electronic gizmos against the ultimate stripped-down barely-legal racer? The Cobra's 6lbs per horsepower essentially created the 0-100-0mph test, so no sedans should need apply..

Except for this particular Porsche with the unsightly hatchback, which is all the Cobra gets to see from the moment the light turns green. The Cobra driver must ride the fine line between too much wheelspin and not enough RPMs, carefully feathering the throttle and minding the lateral sliding. Meanwhile the Porsche driver is not so involved; the launch control feature plus a sequential semi-auto transmission means you just mash the accelerator for a perfect launch, and leave it there for perfect shifts. The Cobra driver expertly eases off the throttle just slightly between gear changes, matching revs seamlessly while slamming the heavy "lunk-thunk" shifter into each gear right on time. The Porsche driver reduces the climate control temperature a bit, sips a beverage, and searches the XM radio for some fitting, upbeat jazz tracks, maybe some Charlie Parker. And about then the Porsche sails past the finish line a full half second ahead of the Shelby, and still faster.

Results
-(0-60/E.T.@mph)
Porsche - 3.3/11.7@119
Shelby - 4.3/12.2@118

So that's an idea of how far we've come. And this doesn't take into account the huge discrepancies if one of these cars gets into an accident, or gas mileage, or reliability, etc. It's quite an era for cars we're in..

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Not just about speed and power. (Although those two are right up there).

It's also about style and cool... And attracting the ladies. :D

Pull up to some fine ladies in a Buick GSX, and they can't help but walk over. "Hello ladies. Want to go for a ride?"

Try that in a more modern car. They'll think you're creepy. But in a classic, you're cool. :cool:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
This Lexus LS for me.

2007_LS460.jpg

A few from some of the guy's in the club:
jys.jpg

hnrys.jpg

Last edited: