Caving light for first trip... and helmet advice?

mdocod

Flashaholic
Hello SteveG,

I went on my first "serious" caving trip over a year ago, I hope to do it again someday, but am still recovering from a back injury and am always tight on time and money, someday I hope to go back to it and try it again.

Here's some pointers I learned on my "new/old" experience:

*Brightness is really more for fun and comfort. I found that a comforting reasonably bright incan really soothed me when negotiating tight crawls. The biggest danger in a cave for a "new" person to caving, is panic attack [read: claustrophobia]. I was able to keep myself in control by having the ability to "sooth" myself with a powerful incan that seems to "open" things up a bit.

*For most activities, brightness is not important. The headlamp should have a low mode with a few lumens that you can leave on without any worry of running dry on batteries. I ran my Argo HP on low through most of the trip, with occasional flips to high mode, without any need to swap in a new battery. You will find that a few lumens are more than enough to do just about anything in a cave, more than that is convenience and comfort. High output is generally used in short bursts to get a feel for large areas or check out cool features of the cave. I actually brought 2 spare headlamps with me to start off the trip, and my good friend who organized and invited me on the trip wound up using one of those spares as his was dead from the get-go. That "spare" was a simple $20 LED job from walmart, and it worked just fine for him and works to this day.

-As a flashaholic, I packed things along that impressed some very serious cavers that I went along with, they said they had not seen the cave in such detail before my flashlights came along with them. Powerful flashlights don't have to be big either. A nice wow light can be in the form of a 2xCR123 form factor, both incan and LED have options that are really bright in this size (500+ lumens). I would suggest bringing one just for fun and to show-off :)

*I made the mistake of trying a "fanny" pack as my first cave trip primary "storage" solution. I was able to make it work, but there were many situations where I was removing it and dragging it through tight crawls. I think the ideal cave pack would be a PVC or other heavy duty plastic "dunnage" sack with a simple strap or 2, that you could alternate from being hooked on for dragging (like to your boots) or slung over the shoulder/neck when walking/climbing. Honestly, I bet almost every caver struggles with finding an ultimate solution to the storage solution, but holstering or hanging things from your person/clothing you will quickly find to be an annoyance as you will be rolling over on those things and getting tangled in them as you roll and position yourself in tight crawls/climbs.

*I bought one of those Petzl Ecrin Roc helmets that Marduke has pictured above. They are very popular in the caving community for good reason. They are comfortable and convenient. However, you don't need to spend that kind of money if you don't want to. If I had to do it over again I don't think I would have bought one considering that I probably won't be spending a *lot* of time in a cave in my life. Anything with a chin strap that has some isolation between your skull and the outer later will work fine. Most hardware stores will have "hard-hat" construction helmets that will work reasonably well for under $10. The Petzl has some built in strap-hooks that make it possible to mount just about any standard headlamp to without problems. If you go with regular construction helmet or something like that, you may need to work out a solution for mounting the headlamp to it.

Have fun :)

-Eric

YuccaPatrol

Newly Enlightened
PS
Take 1 Imodium and 2 Aleve the morning of your trip. Don't ask....

and I thought I was the only one that took immodium as a preventative before caving. . . . ha ha ha!

Sure beats carrying the mess out with you!:p

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, i have a question... While caving, is an un regulated headlamp or backup light prefered over a regulated light as a primary use light? Because then the batteries would just fail slowly, right, and the light would dim slowly.

Second... I'm not sure, but I think that the Boy Scout camp where my troop goes every year is having a basic caving merit badge this year. It'll probably just be a simple in and out of some caverns, learn a few knots sort of deal, but if I were to take it, should I get the Zebralight H50 for a small area light? I would like to have a Zebralight anyway, but I was saving up for the new H51. I hope it comes out before I go to camp.

Marduke

Flashaholic
So, i have a question... While caving, is an un regulated headlamp or backup light prefered over a regulated light as a primary use light? Because then the batteries would just fail slowly, right, and the light would dim slowly.

A well designed regulated light will not just die on you, but instead dim over a period of time, so it's rather a moot point.

kevinm

Enlightened
Fo sho! So do you guys carry extra bottles? Some kind of bag?

One of these?

http://www.cabelas.com/spod-1/0014250.shtml

Wide mouth Nalgene for girls, 1L soda bottle for boys. Get the wide hole bottle! Oh, and two Ziploc freezer bags with toilet paper, in case the Immodium doesn't work.

Oh, and I've had 3M duct tape fail, too. Maybe the combination of warm and dry to wet and cold? I don't know...

Kevin

Burgess

Flashaholic
FWIW --

A recent article in Popular Mechanics

(issue March 2009 , page 26)

compared several brands of Duct Tape.

The clear winner was "Gorilla Tape",

which won in every single category.

_

Burgess

Flashaholic
PS:

Could also come in handy

if you've forgotten to take yer' Imodium.

:whistle:

_

steveG

Enlightened
Wide mouth Nalgene for girls, 1L soda bottle for boys. Get the wide hole bottle! Oh, and two Ziploc freezer bags with toilet paper, in case the Immodium doesn't work.

Got it. Thanks for the info.

FWIW --

A recent article in Popular Mechanics

(issue March 2009 , page 26)

compared several brands of Duct Tape.

The clear winner was "Gorilla Tape",

which won in every single category.

Good. I just bought some on the way home from work. That makes me feel a little better about spending $11 on a roll of tape!

steveG

Enlightened
Not to detract from the Imodium, pee bottles and chafing (haha!), but I bought what I think will make a decent cave pack (for now)... $3.25 at one of the local thrift stores!

cave-pack.jpg

Aside from the straps (I think they'll be easy to remove if necessary), it's completely smooth on the back and is quite compact. I was able to fit everything I want to take with me including a 32oz Nalgene and a wide-mouth Gatorade pee bottle.

I think I'm all set. I have my helmet, an excessive number of lights and batteries(ha!) and a pack full of gear... all I need now is a cave!

Marduke

Flashaholic
Sounds like you're good to go. You'll learn through experience quickly what works best for you in the way of gear.

Chads93GT

Newly Enlightened
You can duct tape the straps of your light to your helmet for a trip. you wont have problems. When we take beginners on trips and they don't have helmets, we do exactly that, duct tape their lamp to the helmet. You don't have to worry about ripping it off and not getting it to stick again. After all, how many "beginner" trips are in river caves where wet suits are required, or crawling through thick mud, or crawling through tight crawls period. Beginner trips are generally just like going to a show cave. Big passage, no crawling, no getting wet. Generally.......

As for packs with zippers. put vasoline on the zippers before the trip. Any mud/grime that gets on the zipper, the zipper will still work with vasoline on it.

steveG

Enlightened
Well I made it back, guys. Overall it was a great trip. The caves were much shorter than I expected and, as expected, I was way over prepped in every way. During the day trips I barely got to use my lights... oh well, it was still fun. There was certainly a lot more climbing and hiking involved than I thought, but I didn't mind this and actually enjoyed it a lot. I definitely like hiking through the desert more than any other terrain. One of the caves had a tight section that required us to slither through like a snake and contort our bodies to get through... good times!

I also went on a hike at night. This was very cool. We hiked through a wash for about a mile then through a cave and up some large rocks... lots of fun! On this trip I got to use my headlamps plenty and for scouting areas at a distance the E2DL worked like a champ.

There is a training caving trip in May that I might try to go to. If I can make it, this would open up a lot of trips for me as it includes vertical and horizontal techniques.

Thanks again for all the info guys!

A few pics:

The campground

speleoed-2009-owl-canyon-camoground.jpg

BIG image: http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/717171/original/speleoed-2009-owl-canyon-camoground.jpg

Caves

speleoed-2009-103.jpg

speleoed-2009-109.jpg

speleoed-2009-110.jpg