Cellphone as a Flashlight

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I miss the LED flash that could be used as a flashlight on my old Sony Ericsson. It was pretty bright... about 20-30 lumens.

My previous phone was a S/Ericsson K700i not sure about 20~30Lm but it was plenty bright to navigate by however it only remained on in short bursts requiring constant keypad activity to enable light output ;)

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the samsung S5600 and I'm not sure what led it uses but compared to my H501 I'm sure it puts out over 80 lumens when taking a picture. The problem is that output only stays on for about a second, if you want permanent on you have to use it as a video light and thats only about 10-15 lumens. I guess it all comes down to heatsinking really..

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think of the light in my phone as a backup to my backup EDC

same.
i have so many phones through the last 15 yrs. from startac to iphone4.

the best ever phone led i owned was the sony c902. not only did it use a warm or neutral led but it was as bright as my h501w on high. it got pretty warm(steel body) and sucked down the battery pretty fast.
i think cell lights are a nice backup though.

Robinda

Newly Enlightened
Great another HTC Desire owner!!!

One of the reasons I got this cellphone is because the led flash is really bright, about 20 lumens.

The flashlight application has three power modes as well it really is quite effective as a backup.

GMLRS

Newly Enlightened
I have two on me a Nokia E63, momentary when keys locked, very fast and easy, and a 2 LED HTC Evo 4g, pretty bright for a phone. The Evo 4g, is smoking fast, Voice search, voice text, Google Goggles (Camera search and barcode scanner) 4-6-9Mbs, 11-12Mbs wifi. Wifi Hotspot for 5 devices, and satelite image gps that works indoors in a large building, LIGHTNING FAST. Everybody should have one.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried it once to help me find the flashlight I dropped next to the couch after turning the lights off, but it didn't work for me and my feet found it first. Now I keep 2 flashlights next to the couch so I can still find one if I bump the other one around. I guess some phones must be brighter than mine.

Rawk

Newly Enlightened
Got the Nokia 1650 since almost two years now.
Can't say I use it as a flashlight, it's just a floody square for close distance. In pitch-black places it can show you the path, but only for a short time - the battery won't last long with this, as far as i have observed.

Here's a quick beamshot :laughing:

nokd20.jpg

Nokia 1650 left, Nitecore D10 Tribute / lowest setting on the right ~40cm distance from the wall. At 1m distance you barely see the Nokia.
If you ask me - go and get a flashlight ! Safe your cellphones energy.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why shouldn't your phone have a flashlight built in? They do everything else. I just purchased a Samsung Captivate running the Android software and was surprised to find a guitar tunner application. I down loaded it and it works great. Flashlights, metal detectors, level, compass, GPS, oh and it is also a phone. Unbelievable.

Bill

FlashlightsNgear.com

→Formerly d1live←, Flashaholic
I have two on me a Nokia E63, momentary when keys locked, very fast and easy, and a 2 LED HTC Evo 4g, pretty bright for a phone. The Evo 4g, is smoking fast, Voice search, voice text, Google Goggles (Camera search and barcode scanner) 4-6-9Mbs, 11-12Mbs wifi. Wifi Hotspot for 5 devices, and satelite image gps that works indoors in a large building, LIGHTNING FAST. Everybody should have one.
I went from a Nokia E63 (A Puppy Chewed It Up) to Sprint and the HTC EVO 4G, the light on both are cool features but I think the EVO's 2 LED Flash is the brightest Ive seen on a phone. I agree with the EVO being smoking fast, great phone..

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have an Evo and I wold say that the flash is probably 40+ lumens (maybe more, I haven't investigated it much) on high; definitely enough to be usable up close and even at 5+ feet. I also have a flashlight app that simply puts the screen backlight on high and displays a white screen, as this outputs a lot less light than the LED on low for when I don't need more.

Of course any time I am specifically doing something where I know I will require light I will use a real flashlight; the phone is just good for situations like navigating a room in the dark when I don't have anything else available.

Shorty66

Enlightened
My Motorola Defy is about as Bright as my H501 on Medium, perhaps a little brighter. The beam is a perfectly round flood, just as the H501 and the LED is a warm one.
I have come to leave any flashlight at home and instead take one replacement battery for the phone just in case.

The only downside i see with using the phone as a torch is that its not really usable as a headlamp. I have come up with an attachment for the breaststrap which does almost the same thing though. As the smartphone light is quite floody it is pretty usable as a heaslamp replacement that way.

TheRev.

Newly Enlightened
I use the white background on my iPhones email screen as it is on my favorites :) it does it but I still bump into things. Lol

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
My cellphone backlight screen is better than a Fenix E01. And it's even white, too!

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
My xperia mini-pro has ~ the same output and beampattern as my zebralight h30 on medium (the h30 should be 20 lumens on medium). The xperia is neutral tinted :) I dont use it because i always have a better light on my keychain.

Philonous

Newly Enlightened
Though I'm considering adding a dedicated keychain light to my EDC, the camera/flash light on my HTC Desire is a seriously capable backup light. Lifespan is obviously the most serious limitation, but the light really is very bright all things considered. I just did a quick youtube search, and this video gives you a fair idea of the output:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qrHetEI_dQ

It's obviously not a primary EDC light, but as a backup it's great, especially when you consider that it's part of a package that offers you so much more besides. If you like to keep your EDC as minimalist as possible, it's a perfectly sensible option.

Napalm

Enlightened
My netbook has adjustable screen color temperature. Can make it anything from warm to cool, and adjust tint too.

I'm still looking for a good thrower though.

nap. :crackup:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
My netbook has adjustable screen color temperature. Can make it anything from warm to cool, and adjust tint too.

I'm still looking for a good thrower though.

nap. :crackup:
lol just hold a asperic lense in front of the led. A tube to hold the lense in focus and some rubberbands and youre there :)