Cellphone as a Flashlight

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used the light from my cell phone screen on occasion but I am not really interested in having a dedicated flashlight function for it. Since I always have an EDC and Photons as back-up I don't want to turn my cell phone into a light.I prefer to keep the cell phones battery capacity for actual phone or internet access.

PapaLumen

Enlightened
I have the HTC Desire HD, it has TWO flash leds which you can use with the flashlight app. 3 mode. Not a bad white tint :)

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
A cell phone will work in a pinch, but I'd much rather have a flashlight.

shomie911

Enlightened
The Casio G'zOne Brigade has a dedicated flashlight button, using a neutral white led with a very small reflector around it. Fairly bright, although I don't know runtime figures.

I still carry a Kroma-Milspec, E1E/FB1, and Preon ReVo SS. The phones good, but dedicated lights are the way to go, atleast for a flashaholic. :devil:

DisrupTer911

Enlightened
I have a flashlight app for my iphone that I use in a pinch when the perimeter lighting around my apartment is not coming on and I need to see the doorknob lol

also good for looking under the cars seats for change lol

tam17

Enlightened
Today even the budget cellphones have flashlight capability. For example, even Nokia 1280 (the cheapest Nokia ever made) has a dedicated flashlight. (Unknown surface-mount emitter and acrylic lens produce very odd beam, though).

So it's often forgotten "backup of backup" light that we all EDC.

Cheers,

Tam

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have that app for my phone, and my LED is respectably bright. However, as several have said, it won't replace a good AAA keychain light. It's too awkward to get to and use when I want light fast.

N/Apower

Enlightened
I have seen flashlight applications before on my smartphone an HTC Desire which use the screen backlight. My phone software was recently updated with the 2.2 Android software Froyo, this came with a smart little flashlight app which uses the camera led to provide a flashlight with 3 different power levels. Should prove a useful addition to my phone.

May even delay me purchasing a single aaa light as an EDC.

Anyone with any experience of using their cellphone as a light in a tight spot?

I have the same, but the Incredilight is better. Download it. It's free. You will thank me.

Ishango

Enlightened
Today even the budget cellphones have flashlight capability. For example, even Nokia 1280 (the cheapest Nokia ever made) has a dedicated flashlight. (Unknown surface-mount emitter and acrylic lens produce very odd beam, though).

So it's often forgotten "backup of backup" light that we all EDC.

Cheers,

Tam

True. I have a backup phone (Nokia classic) myself which has a LED light as well. I don't use it, since I've got my EDC for that. My gf was in Morocco last year when the lights went out. People there are so much accustomed to it, that they use these phones (with dedicated flashlights) to light their way. My gf had no light and it was really dark. Sure showed her my hobby isn't that strange :) She now carries a eGear Pico and a E01 and one of the iPhone flashlight apps.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently got myself HTC Incredible 2, and that came with a flashlight app and two rather bright LEDs on its back.

The problem is that I carry multiple lights with me and they are easily accessible. I can reach into my pocket, feel the knurling on my light, pull it out and push the clicky. Not so with my phone, however, as it usually degenerates into, "Where the hell did that app go?", not to mention it's awkward to hold a flat object vertically. Plus it's all flood, so you can't illuminate anything more than 15 feet away unless it's pitch black.

This happened many months ago, but someone I know was making fun of how many lights I carried, and was showing me how "bright" the light on his phone was. I whipped out my T20C2 MkII and told him, "But can it do this?", and proceeded to light up a house two blocks away, as well as lighting up every single reflective street and traffic signs down the road.

He never said a word about my inventory of flashlights from that moment.

vickers214

Enlightened
I dont EDC, and have used my mobile's flash as a always on me light for years, the best i had was a Sony c903 with twin led, just slide the cover down and 3 minutes of room filling light, easy brighter than an E05, but i have a Samsung Galaxy with a single .5w led running android 2.2, its ok in a pickle but probably the worst mobile i have had with this feature

mat_the_cat

Newly Enlightened
I have a Samsung B2710 (don't know how available it is in the rest of the world) which has a dedicated light on it - I would guess that it's about 20 lumens, as it's brighter than a Fenix E01, but less bright than a 32 lumen keychain light I have. A lot of the time this is my true EDC, since I usually have a better alternative close by, and I ALWAYS have my mobile phone with me.

Downsides are that you have to hold the button in for a while to turn it on, it can turn on easily in your pocket (the key lock locks every button bar the torch button!) and the phone is the wrong shape for those times when you need to but the torch in your mouth to hold it! Apart from the the phone is great - tough, waterproof and with sensible sized buttons!

I'm after a ZL SC51 for EDC use, so the phone will make a perfect backup.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The Motorola Droid X has a pair of power LEDs it uses as a flash for the camera; a tiny, free app allows you to switch them on and off for use as a flashlight. I'd estimate the pair put out around 60 lumens of yellow-tinted flood :eek:oo:

IcantC

Enlightened
It's all fine and dandy until you drop your phone or it gets wet.

Even a cheap 99 cent keychain light is better just in case.

IcantC

Enlightened
It's all fine and dandy until you drop your phone or it gets wet.

Even a cheap 99 cent keychain light is better just in case.

brembo

Enlightened
The Casio G'zOne Brigade has a dedicated flashlight button, using a neutral white led with a very small reflector around it. Fairly bright, although I don't know runtime figures.

:

I had a GzOne of some flavor awhile back. The light was handy, in fact I miss that phone now. WaterPROOF and rugged, but no blutooth. I just keep a little squeeze light on my keychain as backup to my backup.

paddling_man

Newly Enlightened
The Motorola Droid X has a pair of power LEDs it uses as a flash for the camera; a tiny, free app allows you to switch them on and off for use as a flashlight. I'd estimate the pair put out around 60 lumens of yellow-tinted flood :eek:oo:

This... really the only time I use it is when I'm connecting it to the charger and don't want to wake the wife.

Xacto

Enlightened
Honestly I refrain from using the LED in my iPhone for anything else then taking pictures, since I do not want to risk it being used to long or taking some form of damage from prolonged used.

But I do have used the display of my Samsung from time to time to find my way back to bed.

Cheers
Thorsten