Charging video camera battery

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Originally posted by Coherence:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ted the Led said:
set a "comforatable" amperage value? ok, and what do you set the volt knob at? For what (nominal) voltage battery?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Once you set the current, the supply will vary the voltage until you GET that current in the circuit (or to some lesser current, the amps you get at the voltage knob setting).

This measurement of 'forward voltage' (don't use that term that way) you measure is modifying the circuit. Now you have introduced a device in series which has a HIGH resistance (the meter), when measuring voltage (this is by design, you want to measure voltage by putting the meter in parallel with what you are trying to measure).
*** though when I hook the meter up directly to the supply the volts on the supply's meter and on the dmm match perfectly..are you sayingboth meter readings are false?

(incidently when measuring current, meters are designed to be as LOW resistance as possible, since they are connected in series with the circuit).

So the supply delivers the max voltage (up to where the voltage knob is set) it can, trying to force the amps you have set on the current knob.

Measure the actual voltage at the battery terminals and it will not change if you rotate the voltage knob higher assuming current stays the same.
***YUP. I just tested this out and it works as you describe. Thanks.

Sorry if that sounds hostile
somehow.
***hostile? how? why ? are you confusing yourself with another poster?
wink.gif

***thanks again, I see now...
smile.gif

***TedTL

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

Coherence

Newly Enlightened
*** though when I hook the meter up directly to the supply the volts on the supply's meter and on the dmm match perfectly..are you sayingboth meter readings are false?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No, what is happening is that the supply is raising the voltage up to the limit you have set while trying to match the current setting. If you have a decent meter, it will have very high resistance, and virtually no current flows through it. So the supply tops out at the setting on the voltage knob, thus the internal and external readings match.

Measure the actual voltage at the battery terminals and it will not change if you rotate the voltage knob higher assuming current stays the same.
***YUP. I just tested this out and it works as you describe. Thanks.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Great! It's nice when theory = real life.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

what was that again?
obviously something is amiss with the software -- check "problems with board" topic..
(edit) Sasha fixed it! Thank you Sasha.)

Latest posts