• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired CLOSED: VIP Big BulkHead (BBH) Offer

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my 2 (boy ain't I lucky) BBH's today.
Well worth the wait. OMG. I can't wait for the sun to drop.
Great job!!
I know there were terrible trials and way more effort than should ever be necessary that went into these. I just hope the VERY lucky recipients of these really appreciate what they have in their hands.
The VIP is still my EDC.
I have so many different parts and heads and tails for my VIP's it is so much fun it is like a flashlight play set. Now complete with the BBH.
BTW Yes please make some for the LionHeart please.
Yaesumofo

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received one of my BBHs yesterday, although it may have come in Saturday. It's an impressive piece of hardware. This is no light weight attachment, literaly.

In beam tests I was able to identify tree species up to 300 meters away (I believe). I may verify the distance later.

Thanks for making these!

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I went and did something silly. In less than 6 hours I lost the printed insert that was included with the BBH.

I was so excited to get them I didn't even look at it.
Go figure.
What did it say?

So I built up a VIP if you can call it that with the 2AA body the BB and that really nice tail switch piece somebody made.
Certainly didn't look like anything Charlie intended for a simple single cell small 3 level hand sized flashlight.
All I can say is WOW!!! This is one beautiful flashlight. Nice tight beam reaches the trees 250 yards away no problem. Tighter beam than space needle. Brighter at that range.
I love my VIP's I have 3. I have put them built them in so many ways it is crazy. One light many purposes.
I wish I could find ONE more VIP Light engine.
Maybe I just need another VIP. BTW a VIP with a reflector instead of the stock optic is my main EDC GREAT BEAM. My other is an arc 4 second.
Anyway until now the VIP has been my favorite Mr Bulk flashlight. Including the LionHeart (I have 3 of those too)
The Light engine system used in the VIP is a brilliant concept. As a system very successful as evidenced by the really cool accessories that became available.
Lets see.
the Bulk Head
the Big Bulk Head
reflector option
optic option
the 2 AA body
the flat tail switch
th cool tail switch
a clip.
That is a lot of stuff for a flashlight that there are only a couple of hundred of in the world.
I say cool.
Sorry for drifting a bit.
Just what did that insert say?
Yaesumofo

nikemboka

Newly Enlightened
Howdy
Got mine today. Slight imperfection at the rim of the reflector. It doesn't affect the beam and omg what a throw, tried it in the basement with the lights out. I can't wait for nightfall. Thanks Paul it was well worth the wait.

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
The wait is finally over! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Can't wait for the darkness.
Thanks, Paul.

LightChucker

Enlightened
It's here and it works beautifully! Furthermore, I cannot find any defects on the outside. Thanks for all the warnings about how to clean it.

Here is a tip someone might find helpful:
The part about changing the o-rings without using a metal object was a challenge. Here is what I did: you know those fancy, white, plastic toothpicks - that's what I used, except they are too flimsy to slide under the o-ring. So, I used a fingernail clipper to shorten the toothpick a bit. I clipped about 1/8 inch off and at an angle to help it get between the metal and the ring. It worked very well. So, I just stored the toothpick with the VIP accessories for the next time I need to swap the o-rings.

Chuck

Otokoyama

Enlightened
None of the BBHs are up to the quality standards that I'd prefer, but they're all I've got after a year. They could have been re-done again, but there wouldn't be any functional improvement, just another delay.

While some of the specks and imperfections on the reflective surface are especially obvious, if you do a quick calculation of the surface area affected, you'll determine that it's only a small fraction of 1%.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Got mine today. Very NICE. Did bounce test with lightmeter and same good overall light output as my VIP with Fraen, which is very good. Reflector is not loosing the lumens!!! Did not do a lux test yet, and I probably won't do one, it is so bright. In dark, dark bathroom, sidespill seems good. Ever so slight reflector inperfections are not worth talking about. I am using the AA body, and I stuck VIP with BBH in my Surefire 6P closed bottom leather holster (Surefire brand holster), and it rides very well. It does not jab side of my body. I will have to watch it going through close quarters.

Bill

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Re: VIP Big BulkHead (BBH) Offer

Hey California guy and gals. Start responding. Also AZ, NM, WA,etc. Two days Pririty mail goes quite some distance.

Bill

Crosman451

Newly Enlightened

It arrived today!! Checked the mail box this afternoon and there was a very well packaged BBH. Just tested it after dark in the back yard and after picking my lower jaw off the ground proceeded to be amazed at how a little LED could be throwing such a bright beam so far...simply awesome!

Well worth the wait Paul. Thank you for making this happen for all. Please consider making one for the LionHeart.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Paul,

I received my BBH today. Thanks for all your efforts!

However, I have a question. The BBH only screws on the VIP about 1/2 a turn.

I carefully lubed the threads but still no further than a half turn.

I do not want to force anything.

Now my BH fit perfectly, both before and after trying the BBH.

Any suggestions?

Otokoyama

Enlightened

Someone else said exactly the same thing today. He's relatively local and sending me his so I can determine what the problem is.

I screwed all of them on my own VIP while beam testing, so I know they should fit, though my VIP's threads might be worn down a bit from testing various heads.

I suspect it's some excess material on the first turn of the BBH threads, but won't know until I have a chance to inspect a VIP/BBH pair with the problem, maybe late this week or early next.

In the mean time, you might check the BBH threads carefully and see if you can fix any that look rough or irregular with a fingernail. It shouldn't be a problem to try a little force as long as it's well lubed and you've determined there's definitely no cross threading going on.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

BuddTX, the new O ring is much larger than original. I had to turn my head on with some force. Take the new O ring off, and reinstall original. BBH should screw on very easily, maybe too easily. After doing this, reinstall new O ring, and very carefully, and slowly, screw head on. There will be a lot of resistance but the BBH head should screw all the way down.

Bill

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Alright, it's got a few light anomales in the finish and yes I saw some tiny pieces of dust that had been reflectorized...no big. The bezel is perfect.

A friend told me a very light application of silicon lube like he uses on his guns will smooth it out. I may just leave it like it is because I like the flat black HAIII finish.

I knew I was getting a USL but it still made me do a double take. I couldn't see the lens right away.

What I experienced sounds similar to Crosman451's esperience.

I took it out tonight in the 123+twisty+BBH configuration. I was expecting long throw. I was truly astonished. It could keep up with my 7.2V 2.77A WA1274 in a mag overdriven with 3X123. It was a strange feeling to hold a tiny LED flashlight with a big head that cast a visible beam to the top of a tree 2 blocks away in a city environment. My PM6 can't do that.

Otok must have done his homework before he calculated the parabolic. This thing is amazing. Thanks, Paul.

stringj

Newly Enlightened

Otokoyama,
I received mine yesterday as well. In the realm of flashlights I prefer function over form, therefore I can't find any fault with mine worth mentioning. The beam of light this reflector projects reminds me of what started me liking flashlights as a child. Turning on the light and shining the beam towards the sky makes it appear I have a light saber in my hand. As a child I often wondered if there was anyone out there (in space) that could see it when I shone a light towards the sky. Childish, yes! But I was a child. Last night, as an adult, my thoughts were if there were anyone out there that could see my flashlight beam, I blinded them! Sorry about that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jerry

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*

Did some International Customer receive their BBH ? Still no BBH here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I hate the waiting when I know it is "en route" I prefer waiting before it was sent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
But it is always when it's the end, that the time seems very long /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

prescottrecorder

Newly Enlightened

Got mine yesterday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Other than a little difficulty getting the original o ring off, no problems at all with the installation.

I need to move to a new neighborhood, though, because nothing is far enough away from me here to test the throw of this head /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif