Coffee: drip vs percolate vs...

What are your favorite methods for brewing coffee?

• Total voters

kwkarth

Enlightened
I'm used to drinking double, triple, and quad shots, and each shot costs $0.55 or $0.62 each, but that's still quite a bit less expensive than the local coffee house, and I dare say, much better quality.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
My fish strength is wearing down.

Do you use the milk foamer every time, or is that just for making cappuccino? It sounds like it makes a wonderful crema in the expresso alone.

When you say 2/3/4 shots ...is the caffeine buzz about the same as one of our typical coffee cups? I'd be having a seizure with 4 cups of my coffee. I know they have decaf, but that seems heretical.

kwkarth

Enlightened
My fish strength is wearing down.

Do you use the milk foamer every time, or is that just for making cappuccino? It sounds like it makes a wonderful crema in the expresso alone.

When you say 2/3/4 shots ...is the caffeine buzz about the same as one of our typical coffee cups? I'd be having a seizure with 4 cups of my coffee. I know they have decaf, but that seems heretical.

I mostly like my coffee black, including the espresso. The crema lasts the whole drink through. It's quite remarkable in that respect.

The milk frother/foamer works so amazingly well, I plan to use it rather more than I ever have before. To make a sweet drink I dump a spoon of xylitol, sugar, or maple syrup in with the milk before I foam it. It comes out perfectly and the froth is so substantial, a spoon almost stands up in it.

Awesome desert drink. I have only begun to experiment!! :naughty:

A light rinse out with hot water and towel dry is all it takes to clean up the frother. Couldn't be easier, about ten seconds!

Yes, 3 shots is about the same jolt as one of my cups of coffee.

Williams Sonoma has a nice little demo video of the CitiZ.

Last edited:

ryball

Newly Enlightened
Are you thinking about trying to make your own coffee pods, yet? :D

kwkarth

Enlightened
You think that Amazon link is about the best deal?

Seems like one of the better prices I've seen, yes. There are exclusive combo deals that W-S has, for example, that you can't get elsewhere, but as long as Amazon has the config/model you want, goforit!!

kwkarth

Enlightened
Are you thinking about trying to make your own coffee pods, yet? :D

Not a chance! If I wanted to mess with that stuff, I would have gone the K-cup route, but then I would not have been able to make espresso, and I would not have had ANY of the convenience or quality offered by the Nespresso method.

If I ever want a cup of regular coffee, I will still continue to use my single cup Aero-press method with my own fresh roasted coffee. Still the best cuppa jo in this town!

Espresso/cappuccino is a different story altogether!!

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
This is EXTREMELY tempting if I ever need to roast this sort of quantity/batch size. Maybe I should start my own coffee shop here in PDX??

I could sell my own drum roasted coffee and have a Nespresso boutique as well.

That drum seems geared to retail/restaurant/commercial operations.

I have no doubt for me personally that moving from a home hobby/enthusiast into a business/botique would take the enjoyment out of my beloved coffee experience.

kwkarth

Enlightened
That does look nice. You have to get locked into using their capsules I assume though. Let's see Amazon sells this with free shipping for $309 here.

I registered at their site which seems to be the only way I could see their coffee capsule lists. Wonder what is in that "Welcome Offer @ $110 which if you select it says 200 caps. 2-Day shipping seems to stay @ $6.95 even if you order 1,000 caps

Figure 2+ cups per day....that's about $500/yr. I never really got involved with expresso, but I know it can add up with expenses a lot faster than regular Sweet Maria home roasting setup coffee. Hmmmm....I feel like a fish on the hook....fighting.

The "welcome" kit arrived early this afternoon. 20 sleeves of coffee, a very nice coffee book and the presentation case with space for 36 capsules of coffee, with a variety guide inside the lid. Nice.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
The "welcome" kit arrived early this afternoon. 20 sleeves of coffee, a very nice coffee book and the presentation case with space for 36 capsules of coffee, with a variety guide inside the lid. Nice.

So it is 200 "pops" then? What amounts of which ones do they include?

I should probably just get this over with. LOL!

Oh, and what are you using the Milk frother for at this point...just Cappuccino?

kwkarth

Enlightened
So it is 200 "pops" then? What amounts of which ones do they include?

I should probably just get this over with. LOL!

Oh, and what are you using the Milk frother for at this point...just Cappuccino?

Yup, 200 yummi pops.

20 Ristretto
10 Arpeggio
10 Roma
10 Livanto
10 Cappriccio
10 Volluto
10 Cosi
20 Indriyia
20 Rosabaya
20 Dulsão

10 Fortissio Lungo
10 Vivalto Lungo
10 Finezzo Lungo

10 Decaffianato Lungo
10 Decaffianatto Intenso
10 Decaffianatto

Yes, you should just get this over with!! :poke:

Milk frother: frothing/heating milk at this point, but much more fun to come.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
OK, I've been netted. Got that welcome + 20 of the Singatoba & 10 each of the Variations, which gives me some of everything. What kind of milk do you use in that frother?

kwkarth

Enlightened
OK, I've been netted. Got that welcome + 20 of the Singatoba & 10 each of the Variations, which gives me some of everything. What kind of milk do you use in that frother?

We've just used regular 2% and whole milk so far, but we talked about trying half & half for grins. We'll probably pick some up tomorrow.

kwkarth

Enlightened

I think you'll be delighted.

Enjoy!! We'll have to compare notes on the Gran Crus!

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Which yummy pop would you recommend making first for the maximum appreciation "KaPow" ???

Also, I should say that generally I prefer my coffee with some half and half cream + sugar, but make exceptions when tasting a new coffee bean or tea.

kwkarth

Enlightened
Which yummy pop would you recommend making first for the maximum appreciation "KaPow" ???

Also, I should say that generally I prefer my coffee with some half and half cream + sugar, but make exceptions when tasting a new coffee bean or tea.

Based upon what you've said previously about your tastes in coffee, I would say that Ristretto would be ideal for a first sampling.

Nespresso seems to classify their roasts/blends by "Intensity," a categorization that was new to me. The "intensity" classification seems to correlate somewhat to roast darkness.

Nepresso rates their Ristretto as a 10 on a 1-10 scale for "Intensity." After having sampled all of their varieties several times, I concur 100%.

I find it a very aromatic and flavorful cup that stands up, not only well on its own, but also exceptionally well with cream and sugar.

I normally like my both coffee and espresso roasted on the light side, served straight up (black.) That said, the sweetened & frothed milk blow me away. It's almost too good. The texture, the taste, the temperature, all perfect, IMHO. The Ristretto is one of the very best when served with cream & sugar, especially when warmed and frothed in the aerocinno.

I suspect you will also enjoy the Indriya and Singatoba. Who knows, you may even take an occasional shine to some of the lighter roasts as well. One of my favorites is the Rosabaya. I pretty much like some characteristic of every one of the varieties.

Cheers!

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Based upon what you've said previously about your tastes in coffee, I would say that Ristretto would be ideal for a first sampling.

Nespresso seems to classify their roasts/blends by "Intensity," a categorization that was new to me. The "intensity" classification seems to correlate somewhat to roast darkness.

Nepresso rates their Ristretto as a 10 on a 1-10 scale for "Intensity." After having sampled all of their varieties several times, I concur 100%.

I find it a very aromatic and flavorful cup that stands up, not only well on its own, but also exceptionally well with cream and sugar.

That is interesting they created their own Intensity scale. Now I'm really looking forward to this. Seemed like a great B-Day present for my wife too. The best presents for family members are ones that you can share together. LOL!

How do you use the milk/creamer with sugar? Do you put sugar into the milk and it heats it and whips it or something? Then I assume you spoon it over the 'Spresso, or do you stir it in?