Compact torch with long runtimes with standard batteries?

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xeno E03 does sound like a good choice. Has a low mode which is long lasting, AA batteries, medium or high modes if necessary. For backpacking, a warm tint would be a good option for use outside. You could also get it in a red body, so it will be easy for her to find if it gets dropped on the trail. Including the diffusion wand would make it a good campsite light, and still be well within your budget.

CTR

Newly Enlightened
I paid $75 for mine.
I tend to ignore budgetary limits when suggesting lights.
If a light is best, if it's worth it, if you really want it, if you really need it, I'm sure a person capable of navigating to this website is also capable of putting off the purchase a month or so and saving up to get the light.
Been times in my life I have been outstandingly broke but loose change and spare dollars add up to what you want if you are patient.
Buying cheaper things can be incredibly expensive, but it's your sister!

I definitely agree with your thinking there. But in this case its a little different. I can afford to buy an expensive light but I cannot justify it as my sister is clumsy - she'd probably end up losing it, dropping it etc (I've lost count of the times she's lost her mobile phone!). So I've set myself what I think is a reasonable budget for a light for her needs and I wouldn't be too annoyed if she lost it. She's not like other CPFers who will appreciate the knurling, waterproofness or how well-centred the LED is etc... so I'm not looking for a class leading light, just something that fits the requirements.

Essentially, all she will appreciate is the fact that the torch willl be small, long running, bright enough for navigating in dark rural areas and use batteries she can find easily in a local convenient store (although I have a small stash of CR123 I can give her).

I have a few very old compact XRE lights which are still OK, but I thought I'd get something from the current crop that would be more efficient and have better run times.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

been a while since I've been on here but I need a compact LED torch that has long run times on a medium brightness, enough to light up a footpath, regulated and use easily obtainable standard batteries.

It's actually for my sister who will be going backpacking shortly so will need something small, lightweight and can use widely available batteries. It need not be super-bright or with a huge throw, but sufficient to light up the way fairly well in an unlit path. Obviously, if it had a mean throw that would be a bonus! :)

I'm looking to spend no more than about 30-40GBP (about 55-60USD) max really...

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Hi CTR (Civic Type R???), how about a Klarus P2A? http://www.klaruslight.com/products/Flash_light/80.html

I
t was recommended by the country walking magazine recently, runs 2xAA batteries with two brightness settings.

LED Fire Torches (use Google) have it for £33.95, which I think is a steal. CPF does seem somewhat 4Sevens obsessed (not saying it's a bad thing, but they are premium money and I'm not always sure quite what extra you are getting).

The new Mini Maglite Pro+ would be another good light, but I doubt anywhere in the UK has them, so you'll have to import from the USA which will add time and cost. On this basis I'd go for the Klarus.

edpmis02

Enlightened
I try to buy quality brands during special sales or clearance so I get the best of both worlds.. just gotta be patient. but I did pay full price for a Zebralight SC600W during the preorder period. I like the flexibility of the interface, but I can never hit the proper mode the first time.

Going Gear has good sales of Quarks right now. AA Tactical would be my recommendation. I got a Quark X AA^2 tactical for $45. Run it on some Sanyo Eneloops.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is only one sensible choice in each size.

In AA , the ITP-A2.
In AAA , the ITP-A3.
In 123 , the ITP-A1.

There really is no better choice than ITP for the money ... I have two each of the A3's (EDC on keyrings) and A2's (clipped in jacket pockets) plus an A1 by the bedside.

CTR

Newly Enlightened
Hi CTR (Civic Type R???), how about a Klarus P2A? http://www.klaruslight.com/products/Flash_light/80.html

I
t was recommended by the country walking magazine recently, runs 2xAA batteries with two brightness settings.

LED Fire Torches (use Google) have it for £33.95, which I think is a steal. CPF does seem somewhat 4Sevens obsessed (not saying it's a bad thing, but they are premium money and I'm not always sure quite what extra you are getting).

The new Mini Maglite Pro+ would be another good light, but I doubt anywhere in the UK has them, so you'll have to import from the USA which will add time and cost. On this basis I'd go for the Klarus.

Yes, Civic Type-R - my other love. EP3, lightly modded had from new for almost 9yrs.

I've had a look at Klarus, I do like their torches, but the ones that use single cells only have 2 modes. High and low. The one that comes closest to my needs is the P1C but it doesn't have a medium mode. If only it did, I would have got that right away.

Not so keen on a maglite to be honest, I've had a few of those in both filament and LED form already. Prefer a clicky and mags are a bit too old-school if you know what I mean.

CTR

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at post #7 again.... that includes the XML AA^2

Thanks, post #7 is for a Quark R5 AA? Not XML, it's XPG - which is ok I guess but it's medium mode run time is a little lacking at 22 OTF lumens for 6 hours (50ma). The Quark Mini X 123 has a medium mode of 45 lumens for 6.5 hours which is a lot better. Ideally, I'm looking for as close to >25 lumens for 10hrs as possible on a single cell.

CTR

Newly Enlightened
I try to buy quality brands during special sales or clearance so I get the best of both worlds.. just gotta be patient. but I did pay full price for a Zebralight SC600W during the preorder period. I like the flexibility of the interface, but I can never hit the proper mode the first time.

Going Gear has good sales of Quarks right now. AA Tactical would be my recommendation. I got a Quark X AA^2 tactical for $45. Run it on some Sanyo Eneloops.

Thanks, I don't have much time left so can't be too patient about it really. She's flying out first week of April so I need it to arrive before then. Sometime international shipping can take up to several weeks so I'm mindful I need to decide on one soon.

Going Gear charge for international shipping and say it can take >30 days to deliver... plus there will be import tax charges too... :(

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I don't have much time left so can't be too patient about it really. She's flying out first week of April so I need it to arrive before then. Sometime international shipping can take up to several weeks so I'm mindful I need to decide on one soon.

Going Gear charge for international shipping and say it can take >30 days to deliver... plus there will be import tax charges too... :(

Have you tried:

http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/

and

http://www.qualityflashlights.co.uk/

CTR

Newly Enlightened
There is only one sensible choice in each size.

In AA , the ITP-A2.
In AAA , the ITP-A3.
In 123 , the ITP-A1.

There really is no better choice than ITP for the money ... I have two each of the A3's (EDC on keyrings) and A2's (clipped in jacket pockets) plus an A1 by the bedside.

Thanks, they're good, but I am prepared to pay a little more if it means I can squeeze a bit more runtime and output from the light. The performance of XPE do seem to fall behind XPGs and XMLs in single AA, AAA or 123 lights though.

JemR

Newly Enlightened
Have you considered the new Fenix LD12. Mid is 27 lumens for 11 hours.

also the Sunwayman R20A Mid is 37 lumens for 50 hours (2xAA). Retail Approx £30 at flashaholics. roadkill1109:thumbsup:

good luck with your search.

samwise

Newly Enlightened
Depending on where she is going cr123's might be tricky to find. I spent a while in Asia and India and my arc aaa and a fenix ld01 did me very well. The arc attatched to room keys and the ld01 for when I needed a bit more brightness.

Mikellen

Enlightened
Thanks, post #7 is for a Quark R5 AA? Not XML, it's XPG - which is ok I guess but it's medium mode run time is a little lacking at 22 OTF lumens for 6 hours (50ma). The Quark Mini X 123 has a medium mode of 45 lumens for 6.5 hours which is a lot better. Ideally, I'm looking for as close to >25 lumens for 10hrs as possible on a single cell.

If I remember correctly the medium mode is about 12 hours not 6. Selfbuilt also did a review and runtime test on the AA Quark (R2) and on Eneloops the runtime was 12 hours and 25 minutes to 50%.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Quark AA with XP-E ran an Eneloop on medium for over 13 hours to 50% in a test done here: http://archive.light-reviews.com/4sevens_quarkaa/

Put that Quark head on a 2x123 body and run a 17670 and you can get about 30 hours on medium.

Last edited:

CTR

Newly Enlightened
Have you considered the new Fenix LD12. Mid is 27 lumens for 11 hours.

also the Sunwayman R20A Mid is 37 lumens for 50 hours (2xAA). Retail Approx £30 at flashaholics. roadkill1109:thumbsup:

good luck with your search.

I really like the SWM R20A, I was actually going to buy this after you suggested it as it seems to fit the bill nicely, although it is a little longer than I prefered. However all the specs that I have seen for the run times seems to be for 2600mAh AA, not disposable Alkalines. I need to know how much of a reduction there will be in output and runtimes if used with disposable AAs really...