Compact torch with long runtimes with standard batteries?

CTR

Newly Enlightened
I've done a little more homework and came across this light which seems to fit my requirements well, just wondering if anyone has used it before? Any good? Someone said about CR123 not being easily obtainable, which is true. She's going for 3 weeks but I figured that if I give her 8 additional CR123s which she can dispose of as she goes along, it should hopefully last her 2.5 weeks.

Lumintop ED20 Cree XM-L (£39.95 Delivered)

2 x CR123 / 1 x 18650

420 lumens / 2.5 hour runtime
80 lumens / 10 hours runtime
10 lumens / 60 hours runtime

Bezel Diameter : 1 inch (26mm)
Body Diameter : 1 inch (25.4mm)
Weight : 3 ounces (84.5 g)

UPDATE: Just realised this is out of stock from most UK retailers, so probably can't consider now.

Last edited:

JemR

Newly Enlightened
SORRY Ctr! . My bad. Forgot you wanted only alkaline disposable cells. Unfortunatly i don't know what the difference would be. Hope I didn't sent you to far the wrong way.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Hi CTR. I have a TerraLUX LS100. Paid less than $20 USD for it. Single AA, 100 or 50 lumens at 2 and 8.50 hours runtime. Maybe more from a primary lithium? Lifetime warranty. Not too shabby...

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, they're good, but I am prepared to pay a little more if it means I can squeeze a bit more runtime and output from the light. The performance of XPE do seem to fall behind XPGs and XMLs in single AA, AAA or 123 lights though.
I really like my Titanium and Stainless A3's ... The Stainless is on my house keyring and the Titanium is on the car keyring ... I have a plain black A2 and a Stainless A2 , one of which is always in my inside jacket pocket and the A1 is by my bed along with a couple of Solarforces ... I have never needed a more powerful EDC torch than the A3's or A2's and in all fairness , the Eneloops seem to last ages.

Good luck in your search.

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
It's not the lightest thing in the world (Stainless Steel), but I really like my JETBeam E3S.
It may be a little slick if she's clumsy, but I've never dropped mine. (Though I have beat it with a hammer - it's a tough little bugger.)
Low = 23 lumens for 15 hours on a single AA. Lights my path well when walking the dog in the dark.
I run a Lithium AA (L91). It's plenty bright, and seems to last forever unless my daughters get hold of it.
Even has decent throw on hi, for how small the head is.
Cost roughly $60 USD
Everything else I see on single AA either has a too low low (<< 25 lumen) or a too high medium (< 10 hrs runtime).

If you're willing to go 2xCR123 you probably have a million choices. My neutral-white XP-E P20C2 MKII is compact, high quality, dead-easy to use on med/hi, but has other modes available, and puts out 60 lumen for 13 hrs on Med.

Good luck!

Last edited:

CTR

Newly Enlightened
Guys, thank you for all your suggestions.

After spending some time last night weighing up my options and researching a few other torches, I finally decided on the Klarus XT2C. It's a little over-budget but not by much and the spec and reviews are quite good.

Cree XM-L T6

470 ANSI lumens (2.5 hrs)
150 lumens (7.3 hrs)
10 lumens (295 hrs)

The runtimes were with a Sanyo 2600mAh 18650, but as she will be using disposable CR123, I hope they have similar output and runtimes.

Thanks again for all you advice and suggestions! :)

CTR

Newly Enlightened
You have left it too late for anything you can't walk into a store and buy, there and then, I suspect.

I also drive an EP3. ;)

Yeah, she didn't leave me with much time to do some homework. Anyway, I've ordered the torch now and have been told it should arrive in time! fingers crossed!

EP3 - Lovely car, but after 9 years of ownership and now we have a baby, I will have to sell it! Will be a sad day when it goes!

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, thank you for all your suggestions.

After spending some time last night weighing up my options and researching a few other torches, I finally decided on the Klarus XT2C. It's a little over-budget but not by much and the spec and reviews are quite good.

Cree XM-L T6

470 ANSI lumens (2.5 hrs)
150 lumens (7.3 hrs)
10 lumens (295 hrs)

The runtimes were with a Sanyo 2600mAh 18650, but as she will be using disposable CR123, I hope they have similar output and runtimes.

Thanks again for all you advice and suggestions! :)

The typical capacity for a CR123 is around 1500 mAh, so two of them together should have a greater capacity than a single 2600 mAh cell, which will increase the run time. However, I don't know much about the XT2C, many lights are brighter on 2xCR123 than 1x18650 (due to the higher voltage) unless they have really good current regulation over multiple voltage ranges. If the output is increased, that would decrease the run time. These factors might balance out, or one might outweigh the other.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are my notes on runtimes of the Quark Mini AA.
Quark Mini AA
On Med mode – 25 lm Manual states 18 hrs, but must be a misprint and should be 8 hrs, but not sure.
At 3 hrs-50 min slightly less than 10 but more than 5 lm
4 hrs about 5 lumens
4 hrs -35 min slightly less than Arc AAA Discontinued check
On high – 90 lum mode Manual states 1.3 hours runtime
At 2 hrs- 15 min output was about 5 lumens
2 hrs-30min about 2 lm. Discontinued check

For her use I would keep it small and light. The AA batteries would seem to be the most available.

No doubt you made a good choice, however. I am not familiar with the Klarus XT2C.
Best,
Jerry

CTR

Newly Enlightened
The typical capacity for a CR123 is around 1500 mAh, so two of them together should have a greater capacity than a single 2600 mAh cell, which will increase the run time. However, I don't know much about the XT2C, many lights are brighter on 2xCR123 than 1x18650 (due to the higher voltage) unless they have really good current regulation over multiple voltage ranges. If the output is increased, that would decrease the run time. These factors might balance out, or one might outweigh the other.

Thanks, I don't mind it sacrificing a little runtime, as long as it's not too much. The main one being the medium mode at 150 Lumens for 7.3hrs. Around 7hrs is fine for 150 lumens.

CTR

Newly Enlightened
Here are my notes on runtimes of the Quark Mini AA.
Quark Mini AA
On Med mode – 25 lm Manual states 18 hrs, but must be a misprint and should be 8 hrs, but not sure.
At 3 hrs-50 min slightly less than 10 but more than 5 lm
4 hrs about 5 lumens
4 hrs -35 min slightly less than Arc AAA Discontinued check
On high – 90 lum mode Manual states 1.3 hours runtime
At 2 hrs- 15 min output was about 5 lumens
2 hrs-30min about 2 lm. Discontinued check

For her use I would keep it small and light. The AA batteries would seem to be the most available.

No doubt you made a good choice, however. I am not familiar with the Klarus XT2C.
Best,
Jerry

Thanks Jerry. I initially wanted to get a AA torch so that she can easily source replacements as she goes along. Then I figured that the best capacity to weight ratio disposable batteries are probably the CR123 - which I have about 2 boxes of that don't get used. The AA torches that I came across in my search really didn't stack up too well to my runtime/output/price/size requirements even though I was prepared to sacrifice in some areas.

Fast running out of time, I had to make a decision on the XT2C, I just hope it's the right one! But even if it isn't, it'll just end up being another torch in my collection. The reviews do seem to say that the XT2C is a good EDC and well suited for outdoor activities though.

She's a keen traveller, so no doubt I'll be in the same position looking for another torch and picking your brains in the not so distant future!

JemR

Newly Enlightened
Hi CTR. Great choice. It looks a lovely light. There is a great video review of it at goinggear.com, you may have seen it. It's a search light on high!!
I think she will keep it. All the best.

Last edited:

Cheapskate

Enlightened
The only suitable light for a keen traveler is one that takes AA batteries, IMO. CR123 are not readily available and when they are, are very expensive from a store like a Chemist, which might be the only place they are available. And it needs two of them. They can be €8+ each in a store. The XT2C is too complicated having two switches. Sorry, I can hardly think of a more unsuitable light. Should have got 2 x Xeno EO3s for the price.

2 x CR123 with 1500mAh capacity in series will give you 1500mAh of capacity, not 3000. You would only get 3000mAh if they are wired in parallel, so the run time on two CR123s will only be 57% of that for an 18650 at best.

I have had no problems with a baby and toddlers in a hatch back.

Last edited:

Kokopelli

Enlightened
2 CR123s make 6V, lets say 5.4V, while a 18650 is around 3.8V. If a proper step down circuit is used it is 8 Wh to 9.5 Wh in general. 2xCR123 have lower power for hour than a single 18650 but have the same Wh of a 17670 battery. Not bad for ready to use batteries if you'd think the unfair comparison between Eneloops and Alkalines.

Of course if your light uses a linear current limiter than it is 1500mAh to 2500mAh, which is really bad because you waste too much of your cells energy in the circuit as heat.

Anyway, I have 47s Quark AA2 and Quark X AA2 and I must say they are really bright lights with long running mediums and powerful highs, only with 2xAA batteries. They are efficient lights as far as I know. More compact, there is that Quakr Mini range. Eagletac also have some good compact lights in D25 range. I could buy D25A2 if I didn't have too many 2xAA lights already.

Last edited:

JemR

Newly Enlightened
The XT2C is too complicated having two switches. Sorry, I can hardly think of a more unsuitable light.

I think the UI on the XT2C seems really very easy to use. Large switch On/Off. Small switch embossed "mode" to change the mode or activate the strobe when the light is off. Am I missing something? :shrug:

Last edited:

Cheapskate

Enlightened
So if you fumble, hit the wrong switch, you will get a blinding strobe in the tent, on board the aircraft, or anywhere else you were wanting to be discrete?

The bit you are missing is the intended recipient of the light is not a flashoholic, and is reported to be clumsy. ;)

JemR

Newly Enlightened
My apologies Cheapskate, I agree. There is always one!* I just didn't want people thinking these were difficult lights to use. That's what I mistook from your earlier comment. I know people search for lights they are interested in and don't read the whole thread. For them. There is quick access to the strobe and the light does come on high first. It's a tactical light. Beware the casual user, handle with care. I think we can both agree that if you press a switch you better be ready for some light!. All the best.:)

*Just to be clear and avoid any confusion. I use this term generally and in no way in connection to anybody mentioned in this tread, or any other tread on CPF, by me or any other member. All of whom I have never meet and therefore have no idea as to if this term applies.

Last edited:

CTR

Newly Enlightened
Well, just a quick update to this thread.

I bought the XT2C in the end thinking it would be good for my sister but at the same time would be something I can use for work when she returns. Anyway, as with all other threads looking for advice, there will inevitably be disagreements as to which one is best. I had to make a decision in the end as time was running out so went for the XT2C but when someone posted that it would have much poorer runtimes on CR123A I decided to get one more light just in case.

I bought an EagleTac D25A Mini as well which should arrive today, in time for my sisters trip! Seems to be one of the best around for a single AA of that price range. Overspent my initial budget, but not too disappointed as they will both be well used!

I discounted the Xenon E03 as I didn't like the runtime/output spec of it on alkalines. It seems good on NiMH but no good on disposables.