Compact torch with long runtimes with standard batteries?

JemR

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the update CTR. Healthy friendly debate is surely why we are all here. If I got close to, or crossed any line, I sincerely regret that.

I think D25A is a great little light. I have 2. The neutral tint and the cool tint. But I am rather liking the titanium version, that I may have mentioned in a earlier post that i saw on ledfiretorches. Must start saving:broke:.

Anyway, if it is not to bold of me, I think we all wish your sister a safe and enjoyable trip. Maybe she will be a flashaholic upon her return?:)

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good choice on the Eagletac, seems perfect for traveler/backpacker being ultraportable with nice lower end lumen levels to maintain discreetness and preserve night vision. Very similar to the Quark Mini but with an excellent clip.

I agree with Cheapskate that Klarus seems pretty unsuitable for a traveller/backpacker. A 10 lumen low is quite high and I find out right blinding for close work, indoors, and in confined spaces, and then to have 150 lumens as the next level.... and too big for pocket carry.

If you're going to let her demo both and choose, I would suggest spending 5 mins in completely dark room to let her eyes night adapt before letting her try them.

The only other thing I would suggest is get a headband for the camping stuff.... Nitecore makes a great one for $11 but I'm you may be out of time if mail ordering.

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Cheapskate that Klarus seems pretty unsuitable for a traveller/backpacker. A 10 lumen low is quite high and I find out right blinding for close work, indoors, and in confined spaces, and then to have 150 lumens as the next level.... and too big for pocket carry.

The only other thing I would suggest is get a headband for the camping stuff.... Nitecore makes a great one for $11 but I'm you may be out of time if mail ordering.
+1

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done a little more homework and came across this light which seems to fit my requirements well, just wondering if anyone has used it before? Any good? Someone said about CR123 not being easily obtainable, which is true. She's going for 3 weeks but I figured that if I give her 8 additional CR123s which she can dispose of as she goes along, it should hopefully last her 2.5 weeks.

Lumintop ED20 Cree XM-L (£39.95 Delivered)

2 x CR123 / 1 x 18650

420 lumens / 2.5 hour runtime
80 lumens / 10 hours runtime
10 lumens / 60 hours runtime

Bezel Diameter : 1 inch (26mm)
Body Diameter : 1 inch (25.4mm)
Weight : 3 ounces (84.5 g)

UPDATE: Just realised this is out of stock from most UK retailers, so probably can't consider now.

That's a reasonable plan, but now you're giving her a bunch of "crap" to carry around.
If she's irresponsible as you say then that's 8 additional points of failure.
Get her a decent AA light about as big as a tube of lipstick and be done with it.
4sevens or Zebralight.

CTR

Newly Enlightened
That's a reasonable plan, but now you're giving her a bunch of "crap" to carry around.
Get her a decent AA light about as big as a tube of lipstick and be done with it.
4sevens or Zebralight.

Yeah, if you read my last post, I did buy (what I think is) a decent AA light in the end.

JemR

Newly Enlightened
4sevens or Zebralight.

Did I just wake up in the middle of last week?

Who am i to judge but, seriously and with respect. The term used, affectionately I'm sure, was "clumsy" NEVER irresponsible. Very very different.
"as big as a tube of lipstick and be done with it". Come on, really?.

CTR

Newly Enlightened
I must admit I did find eh4's post less than helpful and a little offensive. I was going to respond in a retaliating manner but decided it wasn't worth it. Would be a shame to spoil the thread as other posts have been so helpful.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a couple of other run times on my lights.
Additional test Fenix E11
Tested at low 32 lumens Eneloop battery Manual states 8 hrs 23 min
After 4 hours level above 26 lm of LD01 med.
6 hours level slightly less than 26 lm
7 hours level had dropped to about 1 lm so discontinued.
Very good for 6 hours. After that drop was steep.
I was pleasantly surprised at the run time on one AA.

Quark Mini CR 123 Med mode – 40 lm Manual states 8 hrs runtime
At 7 hrs output between E01 and Arc (10 & 5 lm)
7.5 hrs firefly. Discontinued

Jerry

JemR

Newly Enlightened
Reppans suggestion of a headband seems a great idea for any camping etc. Maybe a light neck lanyard. I often use a small s-biner with just the small lanyard to secure a small flashlight to my jacket zip pull (lots of smalls in there), so it hangs about waist high, ready for use. I fear I too may fall into the category of the "clumsy". Paracord is my friend. Happy Easter CTR:).

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
You all have my sincere apologies, I was speaking much too casually, no offense intended.
And CTR I did overlook your last post about AA format.
What I was trying to convey was that lots of individual pieces might not be appreciated until they were needed, and might become misplaced or left somewhere before they were needed.
Clumsy, or losing things, it usually seems to relate to being distracted/inattentive, at least in my own experience and with the people that I know, less stuff helps.
I was also thinking that you could end up with a shipping deadline problem soon and have to go get something off a shelf somewhere.
Anyhow, I do think that something about lipstick sized would be a good choice, but sorry if that contributed to the dismissive tone.
Best.

Last edited:

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Eagletac D25A is a fine choice. If you are looking for a headband, then Ortec makes a nice one.