Comparison of consumer-level Li-Ion chargers?

kennyj

Enlightened
There's great information available here for those looking to charge NiMH cells (either alone or in packs) but if you're trying to learn about charging Li-Ion cells, with their unique characteristics, it can be quite difficult. It seems that if you're only charging RCR123As, it's not too complex, but if you're dealing with multiple sizes, finding a solution that fits well is a little harder. Once you start looking at working with cells with multiple form factors, the options become unclear and confusing - it seems you either get different chargers for different types of cells (advantage: no problem charging multiple cells of different types, but it ultimately gets expensive if you purchase several good chargers) or get a pack charger which either costs an obscene amount of money or takes forever to charge (either way, you're only charging one cell or a pack of matching cells at a time.) The only decent non-pack chargers that can take multiple cell types that I've found references to here are the DSD, which sounds very limited when charging multiple or large-capacity cells, and the new Pila charger, which might turn out to be a very good charger but which can't readily be used for many sizes without some work (and then, only does 2 cells at a time.)

Does anyone have the time to lay down some information to set me and other Li-Ion newbies straight?

For my part, I almost planned to buy the Maha C808M until I saw that it only did NiMH/NiCD, and now I'm contemplating using the Pila charger with appropriate spacers depending on the battery being charged. I'm mainly looking at charging RCR123As and 18650s. The DSD is attractive, but the increased charge time for larger cells sounds impractical to me.

Shark

Enlightened
You made some good points I also would like to see more information on litium-ion batterys and chargers. By the way I belive AW sells a larger 800ma power supply for the DSD that should cut the charge time almost in half for the larger cells.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's because the a Li-Ion is simple to charge compared to a Ni-MH and if you want to charge Li-Ion and Ni-MH you have to get into RC type charges.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
The $15 TL-200 seems like a great deal: A Wolf Eyes / Pila-type fast charger (1.5A per channel) with built-in, spring-loaded spacers for charging 150 cells. However, I'm on my second sample, and I haven't managed to get either sample to charge my Wolf Eyes or Pila cells. I suspect that my cells aren't contacting the charging terminals. Perhaps this charger requires cells with a taller button.

I don't think I had any luck (or consistent luck) with my AW protected cells, either. However, I think AW's new cells have taller buttons and may work.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question for anyone that knows .......and has compared them.

Is the TL-100 universal Li-Ion charger at All-battery.com , the exact same as a DSD charger from AW ?

Is it just being sold as a different number (TL-100 v/s DSD)

cy

Flashaholic
I know this will sound biased, but what the heck..

get a Triton...

after purchasing 5-6 cheapie li-ion chargers. bit the bullet and paid for a Triton.

try to stay away from dumb chargers. the one's that depend upon cell's protection device to terminate charge. they work great for it's own cells, but nothing else.

since a good portion of dangers related to li-ion use is related to charging. it only makes sense to get the best for safety sake.

if you purchase from a US based retailer, odds are they will be carrying liability insurance VS zero when purchasing direct overseas

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't say for sure, but it sure looks like it.
Just wanted to say thanks for bringing another local source to light. Pricing looks better than other sources local to this area as well.

TooManyGizmos said:
Question for anyone that knows .......and has compared them.

Is the TL-100 universal Li-Ion charger at All-battery.com , the exact same as a DSD charger from AW ?

Is it just being sold as a different number (TL-100 v/s DSD)

Filament

Newly Enlightened
Where can you find a Triton battery charger? I looked on the web and found several hobby-related stores that were selling them. Does Triton have a manufacturer's home page? What about the Shulze? Will these charge AW's MP123's without any modifications and/or issues?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way...... (Tenergy) All-battery.com has a forum page we can all go to for asking battery questions.

Might be interesting and helpfull - I also E-mailed them a couple of questions just now - waiting for reply.

I think this bullitin-board forum at a major battery seller site could prove to be very usefull to us. - time will tell.

If you use it and get any good info - share it with us all .

TMG

JackJ

Newly Enlightened
So how do you hook up these hobby chargers to individual cells, as opposed to packs? Is there some sort of adjustable cell holder that can accomodate all the many shapes out there?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
All you guys that use the Triton, have a workshop type bench with a big honkin' Bulldozer 12 Volt battery just to use it? I have read about the features that it has, but there has to be an electrical AC powered quality charger that doesn't force people to construct these custom setups. If not, there is a hell of a market that someone is missing out on. From Cy's other thread that was just linked:

charging%20station.JPG

joegreen42

Newly Enlightened
Salvaged Computer Power Supplies put out enough 12vdc to power the Triton in all but the most extreme cases.. Black wires are ground.. Yellow are +12vdc.. you also have to jump the single green wire to black to "Turn On" the Power Supply.

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those who would like to know ........

Tenergy / All-battery.com confirmed to me in an E-mail that their TL-100 Li-Ion chargers (are UL approved.) V
CORRECTION EDIT to line above / That was a FALSE confirmation they made !

I ordered the TL-100 from them /received it early April/2006 ...... NOW i know for sure - NOT UL-Listed , (per me- TMG).

The TL-100 looks like it has the same features as a DSD charger.

The DSD , is not UL approved - some of them MAY have the CE marking - depends on the source.

As always - buyer beware. Always use chargers in a safe area - on a fireproof surface and away from flamables.

TMG

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
LuxLuthor said:
All you guys that use the Triton, have a workshop type bench with a big honkin' Bulldozer 12 Volt battery just to use it? I have read about the features that it has, but there has to be an electrical AC powered quality charger that doesn't force people to construct these custom setups. If not, there is a hell of a market that someone is missing out on. From Cy's other thread that was just linked:
]
nah.. most folks use a converted PC power supply or other 12V power supply.

my house's has 220 three phase power. complete with voltage spikes that causes triton's circuit to kick out.

using a car battery is a handy way around voltage spike problem. I also need to get off my a** and built a PC power supply like everyone else :D

krautracer

Newly Enlightened
Hey Cy

How did you get 220 Three Phase power? I thought that most houses were 120/240 single phase, 120/208 or 277/480 Three phase power for commercial properties?

cy

Flashaholic
OK,,, off topic...

my house is part of an housing addition constructed in early 50's and came equiped with water tower cooling systems. these are constructed pretty much like today's huge commercial units.

a few years back I had to re-engineer the cooling system to accept a modern copeland semi-hermetic compressor. yanked out the 1953 chrysler air temp unit. had to use a engine cherry picker to take out.

it used 12 lbs of R12, which I converted to R409A refrigerant. pretty proud of myself pulling off this huge conversion job.

anyways... these water tower units required 220 three phase to operate. super effecient units.

this 220 three phase has a wild leg, which has higher voltage then other two phases. ranges 230V to 248V. for some reason this causes voltage spikes.

Last edited: