complete list of all LED PR flange drop-in bulbs

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: all LED PR flange drop-in bulbs.....?

Careful, 6V lantern batteries are center spring NEGATIVE. Everled has a special bulb for this, but most are center positive. Best case is it won't work. For sure, the Sears Craftsman LED upgrade bulb will blow if installed in one of these, and it shows one right on the package as a candidate for the upgrade!

I made my own center positive, Li-Ion rechargable lantern battery for this bulb by seperating the top of a cheap carbon battery and replacing the cells with four parallel 26650 Li-Ion's, wired positive to center. You can fit up to eight 18650's in there, BTW. Or just re-wire the existing cells if it is not dead, or replace with four alkaline D's. But in my experience, re-wiring the battery is easier than trying to reverse the light. Don't try this with alkaline 6V batteries, once you peel the steel can you have a pile of loose junk. I used a shop knife in the parting seam of the plastic lid, near the corners, and whacked it with a hammer, working my way around untill the whole thing broke free. A little hot glue to hold it back on when done.

Hondo

Hondo,

Good points! I've added the EverLED Diamond Lantern version to the list.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast

I called SBLs today & told them i had a dud. The nice lady said they will send a replacement bulb out right away & are including a pre-paid envelope to send the bad bulb back in. So far that is great customer service.

OK, today i received the replacement bulb from SBLs. This one worked but it had a greenish tint. But it was just about as bright as the SMJLED but not as bright as the Terralux. I have the Tektite LPR-10 on the way & will report when it arrives.

Khaytsus

Enlightened

Would it be possible to split the list into separate groups based on output? I dunno, "Highest Possible" and "Highest Runtime" maybe? Or just "Cree/Seuol" and "5mm" or such?

I think some of those are just groups of 5mm, but some of them are very bright modern LEDs.

Sorting by output would be nice too, but probably harder to do. :)

Marduke

Flashaholic

Would it be possible to split the list into separate groups based on output? I dunno, "Highest Possible" and "Highest Runtime" maybe? Or just "Cree/Seuol" and "5mm" or such?

I think some of those are just groups of 5mm, but some of them are very bright modern LEDs.

I think organizing according to input would be better. (ie. 2 cells, 4 cells, 2-6 cells, etc), or by voltage ranges (ie. 3v, 3-12, etc)

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, good idea, i'll make a list, sorting them accordingly.

tony22r

Newly Enlightened

OK, good idea, i'll make a list, sorting them accordingly.
This list is getting Nice!

So would the TerraLux be the brightest of the bunch?
"Terralux TLE-1F / 2v-9v / 2-6 / 2-7 / 1 watt Luxeon"
(50 lumens according to TerraLUX specs)

I noticed they're $14.95 @ BatteryJunction..

TLE-1F (standard flange base)
http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-1f.html

TLE-1S (screw base)
http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-1s.html

2-6 cell and 2v-9v voltage sounds pretty Versatile! Apparently fully regulated?

Anybody know how these TerraLux perform with 2xAA ?

How does brightness compare to SMJLEDs ?

horizonseeker

Enlightened

batterystation sells a CREE 1W 2cell bulb that's PR flanged base, I got 2, don't know who makes them, 1 works fine in my cheap (free gift) plastic 2AA light, the other only works in the other cheap (also free) plastic 2C light, it barely lit in a 2AA.
the bulb is available on their CPF special page, $5, not bad for a little conversion for cheap hosts.

http://www.batterystation.com/cpf2.htm

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think organizing according to input would be better. (ie. 2 cells, 4 cells, 2-6 cells, etc), or by voltage ranges (ie. 3v, 3-12, etc)

Done!

DaveG

Enlightened

Thanks, this thread has helped me out with something I was looking for.

Skibane

Enlightened

It's probably worth mentioning that the Nite-Ize PR bulb currently being sold (item no. LRB-07-PRSC) is considerably improved over the earlier, essentially identical-looking version. The output is now MUCH brighter, particularly when operated on just 2 cells (3 volts) - not as bright as the SMJLED-PR on 2 cells, but close enough to be comparable. Alas, the focus is still inferior to the SMJLED-PR when installed in fixed-focus flashlights.

Current consumption appears to remain at a relatively constant 125 mA, regardless of the number of cells used (which would imply around 0.4 watts of power when used in a 2-cell light). The bulb will also produce a very usable amount of light from just a single, fresh 1.5 volt cell, and gets noticeably warm when operated at 6 volts.

Burgess

Flashaholic

to Skibane --

Thank you for that Nite-Ize info. Didn't know that. :thumbsup:

And to John2551, thank you for your time and effort here !

:goodjob:

_

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast

This list is getting Nice!

So would the TerraLux be the brightest of the bunch?
"Terralux TLE-1F / 2v-9v / 2-6 / 2-7 / 1 watt Luxeon"
(50 lumens according to TerraLUX specs)

I noticed they're $14.95 @ BatteryJunction..

TLE-1F (standard flange base)
http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-1f.html

TLE-1S (screw base)
http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-1s.html

2-6 cell and 2v-9v voltage sounds pretty Versatile! Apparently fully regulated?

Anybody know how these TerraLux perform with 2xAA ?

How does brightness compare to SMJLEDs ?

Tony,

I don't have all the bulbs on the list but i have most of them & so far the TLE-1F is the brightest. It is brighter than the SMJLED i have by a little bit. Being that these SMJLED bulbs vary a little depending on what batch you got some may be brighter than others. Mine was from LightHound.
I have my TLE-1F in one of those Wal-mart 84 cents 2AA plastic "Rayovac value bright" lights & it works fine for an around the house, general use light.

Last edited:

CoolHands

Newly Enlightened

So I enquired about getting one
ArcMania Super MJ LED PR-Base Bulb
for $6.99.

Shipping to the UK will cost $13 :rolleyes:

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's probably worth mentioning that the Nite-Ize PR bulb currently being sold (item no. LRB-07-PRSC) is considerably improved over the earlier, essentially identical-looking version. The output is now MUCH brighter, particularly when operated on just 2 cells (3 volts) - not as bright as the SMJLED-PR on 2 cells, but close enough to be comparable. Alas, the focus is still inferior to the SMJLED-PR when installed in fixed-focus flashlights.

Current consumption appears to remain at a relatively constant 125 mA, regardless of the number of cells used (which would imply around 0.4 watts of power when used in a 2-cell light). The bulb will also produce a very usable amount of light from just a single, fresh 1.5 volt cell, and gets noticeably warm when operated at 6 volts.

I just bought the Nite-Ize PR bulb last week from Walmart so i assume it is the new version. I was disappointed how dim it was. It had a terrible beam in a fixed focus light. It was OK in a maglite due to the ability to focus the beam. I guess that's why the package claims it to be a replacement for 2-6 cell C & D maglites not for generic lights. If i had last years older version i would have been really upset.
BTW, i got the Tektite LPR-10 bulb, it is IDENTICAL to the Nite-Ize bulb. It looks the same & the beam is exactly the same. I guess they both get them from the same Chinese supplier.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic

Regarding the TerraLux TLE-1F bulb --

Any idea of the current draw ?

With 2 cells ?

Or . . . . with ANY number of cells ?

BTW, the TerraLux website sez that this is a NEW item.

Is it really New ? Or is that simply an older listing ?

Hey TerraLux, how about a Cree version ? :party:

_

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast

batterystation sells a CREE 1W 2cell bulb that's PR flanged base, I got 2, don't know who makes them, 1 works fine in my cheap (free gift) plastic 2AA light, the other only works in the other cheap (also free) plastic 2C light, it barely lit in a 2AA.
the bulb is available on their CPF special page, $5, not bad for a little conversion for cheap hosts.

http://www.batterystation.com/cpf2.htm

I guess that there is no reason to add this one to the list if you say "it barely lit in a 2AA" & we don't have any other info on it either.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sent some bulbs to another member and his PM indicated 2 problems with buying the drop ins.

1) All the flanges are flattened during shipment. This has also happened when I was buying bulbs.

2) The bulbs did not work in a 6V lantern. LED bulbs are polarity sensitive and many lanterns are wired up backwards. They are also molded so it is impossible to put the batteries in the wrong way (the right way for LED bulbs).
If you know for sure the lantern is wired up backwards the Everled diamond is one option.
If you are not sure the Terralux TLE-20 is the only option I know. (You just flip the module 180 degrees) The module does not sit very securely in the BA3 base supplied. It sits more securely in the BA1 or BA2 bases but does not focus properly in non focussing torches.

Last edited:

horizonseeker

Enlightened

I guess that there is no reason to add this one to the list if you say "it barely lit in a 2AA" & we don't have any other info on it either.

Actually the 2 bulbs works differently for me:

1 works better than the niteize or tektite 2 cell in my 2AA host

1 works great in the 2C host, but not in the 2AA host.

all that's been mentioned on the web page is that it's CREE 1W, 2 cell