Comprehensive Grease and Lube Thread

Mr Whippy

Newly Enlightened
Nano Oil. Which Grade?

I wish to purchase some Nano Oil for my new toy. However I notice that there are three grades.

Which one is best for flashlight threads?

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nano Oil. Which Grade?

Nate? Good to see you on CPF.

10 wt. works perfectly for me. I've been using it for years on flashlight threads and knife pivots. 85 wt. is way too thick, and I would be concerned that 5 wt. would "run" and not stay put.

Last edited:

troutbum1971

Newly Enlightened
Just made a cool discovery which may or may not work. Pensoil Dot 3 brake fluid has some really good lubricating properties. Here is some of the info. The last three points sound good for lights.
BENEFITS
  • DOT4andDOT3
  • Safe to mix with all conventional brake fluids
  • FMVSS 116
  • SAE J-1703
  • Federal Specification VV-B-680C
  • All season protection
  • High boiling point exceeds requirements of modern vehicles
  • High and low viscosity control
  • Compatible with rubber components
  • Prevents seal hardening or softening
  • Protects against metal corrosion
  • Excellent lubricity

Last edited:

Mr Whippy

Newly Enlightened
Brake fluid is highly hygroscopic. I personally would never use it for anything other than brakes and hydraulic clutches.

mks195

Newly Enlightened
Great thread, thanks for the pointers to places where i can get the lubes, spent some time in a local hardware shop, couldnt find any :( that's singapore for you (when it comes to flashaholicism)

anyway, to chip in a bit here, i bought a set of these microfiber cloths for my wife to polish her patent leather shoes, it's cheap, not too big a size and free shipping too. You could just use one of the cloths to clean a whole load of lights and just chuck it, instead of having one of those huge microfiber cloths and have to store it and look for clean spots to use etc. For $1.80 its a steal.

EDIT: technically this post isnt about grease or lubes but i'm thinking its ancillary to it, to be used in the cleaning process so that's why i think its relevant but feel free to delete it if you're of a different opinion :D

Yes, this thread is very informative and I've learned a lot. However, and this is off-topic but, hyperloop's by-line/signature just "lightened" my day/night:
""Why are all the contestants in Miss Universe only from Earth?""
LOL!!! :crackup::laughing::grin2:

oh, sorry. and now, back to the program .......

IsaacL

Enlightened
I read through all 39 pages but couldn't find an answer...

Will Nyogel 760G or Krytox damage fluorosilicone o-rings?

JMFWSU

Newly Enlightened
Is TW25b grease safe?

Hi,

Would TW25b gun grease be safe to use on the moving parts and o-rings of my Malkoff MD2?

Thanks
Jason

lwknight

Enlightened
You can go to most any hardware store and buy a small container of clear soap/silicone faucet washer grease for around $5.00 or so. It seems expensive for the 1/4 oz or whatever but you can lube up 40 flashlights and still have a near full can left .

The one I found is actually called "Silicone grease" by Danco, inc. Its actually a soap with a silicone filler but they call it grease.

Last edited by a moderator:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

Would TW25b gun grease be safe to use on the moving parts and o-rings of my Malkoff MD2?

Thanks
Jason

I tried some tw25b on a couple of flashlights just out of curiosity. Seemed to catch more dirt and of course a little expensive compared to superlube performance. Safe I think but probably better saved for slides etc.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked at the MSDS sheet on their website (http://mil-comm.com) , and they list no hazardous ingredients (http://mil-comm.com/images/stories/pdfs/2014-TW25B-MSDS.pdf) , so there are no petroleum distillates. Should be more than safe to use.

I use a product called Boe-Lube developed for the aviation market. It's a waxy material that does not attract dirt, or more importantly lint and is approved for the installation of aircraft o-rings.

cullen.salisbury

Newly Enlightened
I mean I have super lube but this sounds pretty good crc 2-26 but super lube is the good stuff I highly recommend it but please feed back if any buddy has used this stuff

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

fnj

Enlightened
I did a thread search and the only comparisons I came up with were for NyoGel 760G beling lighter viscosity and 779 being heavier. http://www.cpfreviews.com/Flashlight-Care-Nyogel-Lubricants.php agrees with that.

But it is completely at odds with Nye Lubricant's own overview page http://www.nyelubricants.com/products/nyogel.shtml. This says 760G is heavier and 779 is lighter. Lighthound also agrees with this.

Note that if you look at the NyoGel Spec sheets

http://productsearch.nyelubricants.com/pdf/TDS_English_NYOGEL 760G.pdf
http://productsearch.nyelubricants.com/pdf/TDS_English_NYOGEL 779.pdf

they only list the viscosity of the BASE OIL, and the 779 BASE OIL is thinner. But that is not the same as the viscosity of the grease as a whole. The latter would be much, much, MUCH higher than the base oil. The base oil would be an insignificant contributor. The grease is thickened with silica. Think "sand" (exceedingly fine grain).

So, once and for all, how about it? Which is the thicker grease, 760G or 779? Which one makes you work like hell to screw those threads, and which one is easier?