Convoy Lights: Option Comparison Tables and Images

Phlogiston

Enlightened
The light wont drain the battery below 2.8V

Actually, it will.

The one I tested went right down to 2.4V before I decided enough was enough. You can read the details here. I can even turn it on and off at 2.5V; it still manages to just barely power up.

In addition, the circuitry still draws a trickle of power from the cell even when the microcontroller can't turn on. The light can look completely dead even as it slowly finishes killing your unprotected cell. I always use protected cells in these lights.

I've just received three S2+ with the new firmware/driver, and it is a fantastic upgrade from the original S2+ !

I don't have one in hand, so this is based on my understanding of the stock Biscotti firmware, but I believe one of the upgrades is a full low voltage cut-off at 2.8V. However, the light will step down to progressively lower modes as power drops, so we should still get some warning beforehand, unless the light was already in the lowest mode.

That's one of the reasons I enable moonlight mode in my lights with this behaviour - I never use moonlight mode, so the light always has something left to drop down to from the lowest mode I do use. Nice if I've forgotten to take my charger on a trip and I'm trying to eke out my cells as far as I can!

I've settled on mode group 2 (0.1,1,10,35,100%) and no memory for the time being. Once the new firmware is officially released in stock S2+, I'll post a review.

I really like the look of mode group 10 (1%, 10%, 35%, 100%) for the 7135*3 or 4 configurations I use.

I'll look forward to reading your review when the time comes :) When you post your review thread, could you post a link to it in this thread as well, please?

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Re: Convoy S2+ Red: Option Comparison Tables

Do the colors indicate some electronic configuration, or are they the color of anodizing on the body?

Phlogiston

Enlightened
Re: Convoy S2+ Red: Option Comparison Tables

Do the colors indicate some electronic configuration, or are they the color of anodizing on the body?

The Convoy S2+ colours are just decorative; they refer to the anodising colour. You can get black, grey, red, blue or green. All of the driver and LED options are available for each colour, so you can basically pick the colour you like, then Convoy will install the driver / LED combination of your choice.

One difference to be aware of is that the black and grey S2+ lights have a rubber tailswitch cap, while the red, blue and green ones have metal tailswitch caps.

Convoy are known to be working on a desert tan S2+ (see here), but that remains subject to Simon Mao being satisfied with the quality of the result, because desert tan anodising is notoriously awkward to produce. Some very nice factory samples have been made, though :)

There's also a possibility that Convoy will release a clear-anodised (i.e. silver coloured) S2+ at some point, but I don't know anything beyond that. Closest I can get to concrete information is here.

Last edited:

Jambo

Newly Enlightened
I've just received three S2+ with the new firmware/driver, and it is a fantastic upgrade from the original S2+ ! I've settled on mode group 2 (0.1,1,10,35,100%) and no memory for the time being. Once the new firmware is officially released in stock S2+, I'll post a review.

where did you order these from please?

caram

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the info, this thread is worth a $M :thumbsup:

Phlogiston

Enlightened
It is now possible to buy a stock Convoy S2+ with the new firmware. At time of writing, only the new Desert Tan version comes with it as standard. All other colours are still sold with the old firmware by default.

If you want one, make sure you buy the Desert Tan version directly from Convoy through their AliExpress store. Other suppliers like Banggood, Fasttech and Gearbest are rumoured to still be using the old firmware.

It is also possible to buy a stock Convoy C8 with the new firmware. At time of writing, only the new Clear version (read: silver coloured) comes with it as standard. All other colours are still sold with the old firmware by default.

If you want one, make sure you buy the Clear version directly from Convoy through their AliExpress store. Other suppliers like Banggood, Fasttech and Gearbest are again rumoured to still be using the old firmware.

Last edited:

stephenk

Enlightened
It is now possible to buy a stock Convoy S2+ with the new firmware. At time of writing, only the new Desert Tan version comes with it as standard. All other colours are still sold with the old firmware by default.

If you want one, make sure you buy the Desert Tan version directly from Convoy through their AliExpress store. Other suppliers like Banggood, Fasttech and Gearbest are rumoured to still be using the old firmware.

It is also possible to buy a stock Convoy C8 with the new firmware. At time of writing, only the new Clear version (read: silver coloured) comes with it as standard. All other colours are still sold with the old firmware by default.

If you want one, make sure you buy the Clear version directly from Convoy through their AliExpress store. Other suppliers like Banggood, Fasttech and Gearbest are again rumoured to still be using the old firmware.

It should be noted that the stock Desert Tan S2+ has an XP-L HI emitter and smooth reflector, different to the usual XM-L2 and OP reflector. It is indeed correct that currently the Desert Tan at retailers other than Convoy's AliExpress store has the old 3/5 mode firmware.
If ordering through Convoy's AliExpress store, you can request customisation of any model (as I did last year to request Biscotti firmware and AR glass in a Black S2+).

Phlogiston

Enlightened
It should be noted that the stock Desert Tan S2+ has an XP-L HI emitter and smooth reflector, different to the usual XM-L2 and OP reflector. [...]

That's a good point; thanks for highlighting it.

As a rough rule of thumb, the XP-L HI emitter will produce about 5% fewer lumens than the equivalently-binned XM-L2. However, the beam from the XP-L HI should have a noticeably tighter focus, especially with the smooth reflector, so one should actually be able to see further with it, albeit on a narrower front.

stephenk

Enlightened
That's a good point; thanks for highlighting it.

As a rough rule of thumb, the XP-L HI emitter will produce about 5% fewer lumens than the equivalently-binned XM-L2. However, the beam from the XP-L HI should have a noticeably tighter focus, especially with the smooth reflector, so one should actually be able to see further with it, albeit on a narrower front.
I'll post a beam profile comparison when my Desert Tan S2+ arrives.

twist3r

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Phlogiston for this topic. I'm new to all this 'flashlight' thing, and I'm reading/gathering as many information as I can. I plan to order a Convoy S2+ flashlight soon but there are certain things that I first need to figureout.

I need a flashlight for use at (before sunrise, which means 'its still dark') flea market in my area. Sellers are putting staff at the ground, so I need a flashlight that will 'light up' all the staff that seller is offering.

At first I thought I should order the same S2+ as your red Convoy (7135*3 XML2 6T-3B), but some members at BLF suggested that I would be using such lamp at 'hight' all the time (if I pick 7135*3) driver. (I sent you a PM at BLF since I can't send PMs here yet, since I"m new member).

What would you suggest as a good lamp for flea market before sunrise? I thought about getting a 'flood' flashlirght which (from what I understood) XML2 is good for, but since this is my first flashlight that I'm about to order, I don't know how much lumes I would need to clearly lighten up all the staff that seller is offering (staff is put on the ground, not on tables). At the same time, lamp needs not to get hot easily because if I pick some staff and try to 'check it closely' that lamp would still be turned on. Also, to not waste battery fast.

Any suggestions?

btw. in post #7 of this topic you have posted comparison images. I see how XML2 T6-B3 looks like, BUT you didn't mantioned (or maybe i coudn't find it), if that was a light at 100% and what driver it was 7135*3 or *4, *6, or even *8 ?

Pioneer8387

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered a couple of these to try. I wish I would have found this thread first, maybe would have went with lower 7135. and the Alliexpress store.
1. [h=1]Convoy S2+ L2 T6 - 4C LED Flashlight[/h]- Blue T6-4C
[h=1]Convoy S2+ Cree XML2 U2 - 1B 7135 x 8 8 - Mode 960lm Highlight LED White Flashlight (1 x 18650)[/h]- Gray Temperature color: 6500 - 7000K

Now what batteries, Protected or Unprotected?
I am a noobie!!
Is the only worries of an unprotected battery that over discharging it could ruin it?
Or is there the possibility of it exploding in the charger? I have a Nitecore Newi4

prof student

Enlightened
Soooooooooo, IF i understood this correctly......

You really don't get much runtime using it at 100% on the 7135 x 8 because a) it gets too hot, b) it has temperature regulation.
So, realistically i would run it at the 30% level for extended periods of time = 1,800 lumens X 30%= 540

If I went with the 7135 x 4 driver, since it has 1/2 the chips, does that mean all the #s are directly proportional to the 7135 x 8 driver?
Would I be able to run the 7135 x 4 driver at 100% without it overheating?
& would the runtimes be better since it draws less amps?

spoonrobot

Enlightened
I know this is an old thread but it was extremely useful to me when I was first getting into the S2+ so I wanted to share some of the data I've collected as well. A fan third party update of sorts.

Over the past year or two I've purchased and tested various lights trying to find the perfect light for my EDC and bicycle light. I finally settled on the SST40 5A model, below are some of the measurements I took for the variety of lights I bought. Data are from the ceilingbounce app-based shoebox calibrated with a BLF348 light.
12.-temperature-readings-1.png

7.-throw-and-brightness.png

For each of the lights listed above I performed runtime tests with 18650, as well as 18350 and 16340 for some of the lights. https://drandalls.wordpress.com/2021/02/15/convoy-s2-runtimes-updated-with-lh351d-and-kw-cslnm1-tg/

I hope this is helpful. I think the S2+ are great lights with a variety of options that make them useful to many different user requirements.