Couple of LED lights using Joule Thief circuits ...

wquiles

Flashaholic
Hi Will,

One of these for 2xAA with a 5mm as a kit would be wonderful. What 5mm led options do you have? IIRC you said something about some CREE ones you had?

These should run for ages and still suck the last juice out of AA's and the holder is great.

Cheers,
Nova
You can fit an 5mm but only after enlarging the hole - only the 3mm is a direct fit (no tools needed). I decided to start with the simplest project possible.

Other LED's could be used, but unlike 5/3mm that have a built-in "optic", other LED's would be a pure flood without an optic, so yes, possible, but more work/time/cost. It all depends how much time/money you want to spend on a project. I can't come up with a project that will please everyones needs, so I had to start somewhere, and I started with the simplest, most basic kit.

Will

wquiles

Flashaholic
Disclaimer: These kits are the ones I have available for sale in my Joule Circuit sales thread, but you can certainly use this tutorial to came up with your own kit/project.

Tutorial for AA Kit (3mm and 5mm)
Start by opening the case by removing the small crew:
DSCF8425.JPG

Here is the open case:
DSCF8426.JPG

Start by removing the positive wire (the black cable without the white stripe):
DSCF8427.JPG

Then remove the dual battery connector and discard it - we are not going to use it all:
DSCF8428.JPG

DSCF8429.JPG

DSCF8430.JPG

We then push the cable all the way through the small hole:
DSCF8431.JPG

DSCF8432.JPG

Then separate the two conductors (one is solid black - which is the positive wire, and one black with a white stripe which is the negative wire):
DSCF8433.JPG

Now note the anode (+ leg on the LED) and the cathode (- leg on the LED). The anode is the slightly longer leg, which in this photo is above/on top:
DSCF8434.JPG

DSCF8435.JPG

Then align the LED to the Battery Vampire (Joule Thief) board by slightly spreading the legs. In this particular photo, the anode (slightly longer leg) goes towards the inductor - this is the LED+ on the board, and the cathode goes into one of the two small holes side-by-side - that is the LED-:
DSCF8436.JPG

Here in this photo, the board and LED are backwards in order to solder them, but you can clearly see the longer leg (anode) inserted in the LED+ hole:
DSCF8437.JPG

DSCF8439.JPG

Then solder the two legs in place:
DSCF8441.JPG

This is the 3mm LED holder - it fits on the stock wire opening (a little tight with the LED in place, but it does fit):
DSCF8442.JPG

DSCF8443.JPG

In order the align the board and LED with the LED holder, slightly bend the LED legs as shown here:
DSCF8444.JPG

Here is a test fit to show you how it would look like. Note that the anode (LED+) sits down, closer to the edge of the case:
DSCF8445.JPG

DSCF8446.JPG

DSCF8447.JPG

Measure the ground wire (black wire with white stripe) and cut it:
DSCF8448.JPG

Then expose the wire to make ready for soldering:
DSCF8449.JPG

Rake the positive wire and carefully bend the wire backwards and then on a 90 degree turn as shown:
DSCF8450.JPG

DSCF8451.JPG

Insert positive wire into case as shown:
DSCF8452.JPG

Measure and cut the positive wire as shown:
DSCF8453.JPG

DSCF8454.JPG

This is how things should look like prior to soldering. It is much easier to solder with the LED outside of the box:
DSCF8455.JPG

Align the negative wire (the one with the white stripe) with the hole in the board marked GND and solder it in place:
DSCF8456.JPG

DSCF8457.JPG

Now align the positive wire with the hole in the board labeled Bat+, and solder it in place:
DSCF8459.JPG

DSCF8461.JPG

Before we go any further, we need to test it - it should be fully functional right now:
DSCF8462.JPG

DSCF8463.JPG

DSCF8464.JPG

I test each driver before shipping, so if it does not work, and you have not kill the driver with static electricity (you should be grounded while working on this or any other circuit boards), then it must be a wiring problem, cold solder joint, etc.. Check your steps and re-wire/touch-up solder points as appropriate.

Now, in order to close the cover, we need to tuck in the negative wire back in its original position:
DSCF8465.JPG

DSCF8466.JPG

DSCF8467.JPG

DSCF8468.JPG

Another quick test:
DSCF8469.JPG

You should have cut off the extra wire/legs sticking out earlier, but if not, do it now (make sure the small pieces don't fall inside the case and short something!):
DSCF8470.JPG

Here I have two of them ready for the hot glue:
DSCF8471.JPG

We need to make sure that positive metal contact and wire don't move and don't come off its alignment, so we start there:
DSCF8472.JPG

Then we add hot glue over the LED legs and wires to keep everything from moving and prevent shorts from external debris:
DSCF8473.JPG

Finally apply hot glue to the back/bottom side of the driver to cover the electrical connections and prevent short from external debris:
DSCF8474.JPG

Another quick test (I know, it sounds paranoid, but that is how I do all projects) - the rechargeables are not fully charged and the Energizer cells are new, so there is a brightness difference:
DSCF8476.JPG

Put the screw back in, and you are done!:
DSCF8477.JPG

The 5mm version needs more work, so here are a few more pictures/steps for the 5mm version

Note the 5mm LED and holder are of course larger. The hole in the case which worked well for the 3mm will not do - it will have to be enlarged by using a 1/4" diameter drill bit:
DSCF8478.JPG

DSCF8479.JPG

As before, align the anode/cathode, and solder in place. It is best to trim the excess here:
DSCF8481.JPG

As before, measure the negative wire (black with white stripe) and cut it, then same for the positive wire (solid black):
DSCF8482.JPG

DSCF8483.JPG

As before, align wires with the matching holes in the board and solder in place:
DSCF8486.JPG

DSCF8488.JPG

Time for a quick test. Yes, as expected, the 5mm LED is brighter than the 3mm LED:
DSCF8489.JPG

DSCF8490.JPG

Tuck the negative wire in the case, and test again:
DSCF8492.JPG

As before make sure before applying the hot glue that the positive battery contact is aligned and centered in the case:
DSCF8494.JPG

And use hot glue as before to keep everything in place and safe for external debris:
DSCF8495.JPG

Note that the circuit board should sit slightly below than the top of the AA cells, so that the cover can be put back in:
DSCF8496.JPG

When putting the case back, note that there is a little bit of interference from the 5mm holder and the edge of the case at this point (you can trip it or leave it "as is"):
DSCF8498.JPG

Here are 3x completed units: 3mm, 5mm, and 3mm:
DSCF8497.JPG

Will

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks great Will.

Will these ship with the boards that have been optimized for a 20mA 5mm LED (1mA inductor value)? Also, will you be selling just the boards in this configuration?

Thanks for all the great work!

BJ

wquiles

Flashaholic
Looks great Will.

Will these ship with the boards that have been optimized for a 20mA 5mm LED (1mA inductor value)? Also, will you be selling just the boards in this configuration?

Thanks for all the great work!

BJ

BJ,

Oh yes, my bad. Sorry for not clarifying that. I will offer boards optimized for the 20mA 5mm LED (1mH inductor) separately from the kit - same price as regular boards, same shipping options. I will go right now and update the first post on my sales thread to clarify that ;)

Will

^^Nova^^

Enlightened
Next challenge for you Will - drop-in with JT driver for a 2AA minimag with 5mm led and reflector. Sounds like the perfect long running backup light.

BTW, love these converted 3AA battery boxes, going to have to get one (or 2) next time I order something from you.:thumbsup:

Cheers,
Nova

wquiles

Flashaholic
Next challenge for you Will - drop-in with JT driver for a 2AA minimag with 5mm led and reflector. Sounds like the perfect long running backup light.

BTW, love these converted 3AA battery boxes, going to have to get one (or 2) next time I order something from you.:thumbsup:

Cheers,
Nova

I will be keeping parts in stock for these 2xAA kits, so you can order them any time :)

I also have been working on a 1xAA and 2xAA Minimag "package", but I don't have all of the parts ready. I hope to have something to share soon :D

Will

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will, any updates on the mini mag package? I tried to put my own together with your 1mH board, a Nichia 5mm LED (like the ones I sent you) and a mini mag but I just couldn't come up with something sturdy.

wquiles

Flashaholic
I actually have spend some time on it, and have one working unit, but what I came up with so far is too expensive to make time-wise, and it is not quite fully baked to my satisfaction.

Here is what I have so far:
DSCF8911.JPG

DSCF8913.JPG

DSCF8918.JPG

DSCF8919.JPG

DSCF8921.JPG

DSCF8922.JPG

Will

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kestrel,

Yes, the 2xAA configuration (or 2x D in a Mag 2D body) is awesome. I took one of my 4x CR123 bodies and used to of my home-made AA to 18650 cells and built a 2xAA equivalent, and it works great.

The only thing to note is that those higher current levels were achieved with those HUGE inductors I used in my first evaluation since that was what I was able to get my hands on. Unfortunately wiring those large inductors is a royal pain and on top of that using the large inductors leave you very little room for a P60 module, so I am now using the surface mount inductors which give me a little bit less current.
DSCF7699.JPG

With the much smaller surface mount 4uH inductors I am now using I am getting about 50-60mA at 1.5volts and 100-120mA at 3.0 volts, which is still very decent/effective in sucking whatever life is left out of primary cells :D

Will

what is that thingamajig you have the pill on (with all the holes on it)? I've seen those in Nailbenders threads and so on, what is it?

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
what is that thingamajig you have the pill on (with all the holes on it)? I've seen those in Nailbenders threads and so on, what is it?
aren't they great I went and bought one after seeing a picture like this.
Its called a hand vise or a work holder. They come with a wooden handle that screws onto the bottom. I unscrewed the handle and bolted mine to my bench
I also made a more mobile base out of black iron pipe fittings, nice and heavy to hold the work steady. ebay, harbour frieght, Micro-mark and mcmaster sell them

wquiles

Flashaholic
Alright! I finally got a solid working 1xAA Minimag working with the Joule Thief circuit :D

The biggest problem I was having is achieving a truly solid GND connection, since soldering to Al is not trivial. I recently got a small tapping head, and with that I was able to drill/tap 1-64 screws (very small!). Here I already have drilled and counter sunk the two holding holes:
DSCF9180.JPG

Here I am using my tapping head on the Yuasa indexer to get both holes 180 degrees apart:

DSCF9181.JPG

Here is a mock-up with non populated boards to show how the pill looks like:

DSCF9182.JPG

Here I am using a populated board, with the solder "blob" for the AA cell's positive contact, and wired for the LED's - so to use the board in this configuration, only two wires need to be used: only for the LED. And if the LED is at ground potential, then you would only need ONE wire :D
DSCF9184.JPG

DSCF9185.JPG

Then glue the LED, and solder in place:

DSCF9186.JPG

DSCF9187.JPG

Drop the pill in the modified head and body with the 20mm optic and o-rings, and voila!:

DSCF9188.JPG

DSCF9189.JPG

DSCF9190.JPG

Will

sassaquin

Enlightened
Nice job on the baby minimag, it is very cute and looks to be a perfect emergency light.
Thanks for sharing the photos.

Illum

Flashaholic
The only problem I've encountered using joulethief's to drain Alkalines is the tendency to leak. Any battery holder that has enclosed walls and stamped steel contacts are ruined fairly quickly by a single [or pair, or trio] of leaking [but functioning] batteries sitting in it for about a week or so. I have resorted to using duct tape to seal leads soldered to gold plated magnets to battery contacts. They don't look pretty, but they work. Now... they work beautifully draining cr123as:naughty:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will,
I'm sorry I just came across this. This is awesome. Sometimes you just need a light that ISN'T a blaster. Have you done any runtime tests on a fresh cell?
I built my daughter's a couple of "camping night lights". Using Yellow LEDs (buglite) and a switched mode buck converter running on 4D cells in a cheap-o plastic lantern body. It will pull the cells down to 0.5V each and is current regulated. One has 4 LEDs the other has 6. They're pretty bright and last forever. They have gone to girlscout camp for 2 weeks, then a week of family camping and another weekender camping trip all on the same set of D cells.

EDIT- Do you reflow these? or hand solder?

wquiles

Flashaholic
Will,
I'm sorry I just came across this. This is awesome. Sometimes you just need a light that ISN'T a blaster. Have you done any runtime tests on a fresh cell?
I built my daughter's a couple of "camping night lights". Using Yellow LEDs (buglite) and a switched mode buck converter running on 4D cells in a cheap-o plastic lantern body. It will pull the cells down to 0.5V each and is current regulated. One has 4 LEDs the other has 6. They're pretty bright and last forever. They have gone to girlscout camp for 2 weeks, then a week of family camping and another weekender camping trip all on the same set of D cells.

EDIT- Do you reflow these? or hand solder?

I have not yet done a long term runtime since I use my lights with "depleted" cells. Even AA's are plenty bright at night, even more so with a depleted CR123 cell.

Now-a-days, and thanks in good part from what I learned from you and from George (taskled), I reflow "everything" that is surface mount. I only do hand solder for wires, touching up something, changing a value/part, etc.

Like you said, with good equipment and practice, reflowing becomes second nature :D

Will

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not yet done a long term runtime since I use my lights with "depleted" cells. Even AA's are plenty bright at night, even more so with a depleted CR123 cell.

Now-a-days, and thanks in good part from what I learned from you and from George (taskled), I reflow "everything" that is surface mount. I only do hand solder for wires, touching up something, changing a value/part, etc.

Like you said, with good equipment and practice, reflowing becomes second nature :D

Will
I guess i should have asked if you used a reflow oven or a hot air pencil. I'm building my D1s again and I use a reflow oven to do 10 at a time. those joints are too good for a conventional soldering pencil.