CPF Meet 2012 UK

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to wonder if he was saying "Welcome to the party Powell" as that was the officers name and John McLain knew that because he was listening to the police scanner...

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have entered that awkward period before the meet where things go a bit quiet....

We mostly know who is coming, but with just over three weeks to go now, it is a bit too early to be excited.

If we try too hard to whip up some lively pre-meet banter, it may run out of steam before we get there.

Of course the excitement really mounts when you start charging batteries and deciding which lights to bring. For me this is saved for the last week before the meet.

So here we are in the CPF meet doldrums. How do we get a bit of wind in our sails?

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
IT'S PAYDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What should I get?

A Fenix TK70
A Sunwayman T40CS
A Thrunite TN31
Or maybe just the petrol tank it will take to get me to the Dyke?

Anybody else got any plans for a new light.

Sub, you've reviewed so many, what of the current crop really stand out for you?

Last edited:

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast

What should I get?

A Fenix TK70
A Sunwayman T40CS
A Thrunite TN31

Sub, you've reviewed so many, what of the current crop really stand out for you?

There was a nice chap from London selling one a little while ago on the marketplace you know?

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Essexman,

Yes, I believe he still is, with two lithium ion d cells and a spacer. But I actually think that a light as big and ungainly as the TK70 wouldn't get much use for my money - except at CPF meets. I pretty much feel that way about my Stanley HID. Great lights, but unless you were hoping to win a throw contest, or maybe for SAR reasons, I really don't think they're very practical.

I know, I know, this is from the chap who has nearly as many coloured led lights as Jay does, but at least they're small and 'gadgety'. I think I'll turn my attention to the smaller throwers and EDCs. Puts less strain on my rucksack after all...

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the TK70 with TK50 tube and 2 x D LiFePO4 cells. It makes it quite a bit more compact but still has that massive head. Good for fighting off those packs of wolves or grizzly bears you might encounter around the Brighton area but, yeah, still not very practical. There's also a new Olight SR95 coming out soon but that's also enormous.
The TN31 is probably the best option for a compact thrower, although it's not exactly compact.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the TK70 with TK50 tube and 2 x D LiFePO4 cells. It makes it quite a bit more compact but still has that massive head. Good for fighting off those packs of wolves or grizzly bears you might encounter around the Brighton area but, yeah, still not very practical. There's also a new Olight SR95 coming out soon but that's also enormous.
The TN31 is probably the best option for a compact thrower, although it's not exactly compact.

Hello Monkeyboy, good to hear from you.

I like the idea of the TK50 tube on a TK70. But I think I'd try 4 1/2 D cells, or maybe 4 sub C cells. Is it possible to by a spare TK50 tube for this purpose?

Sorry to go OT everyone. But this has got me thinking.....

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi essexman

I don't think 4 1/2 d would fit as 2 1/2D's are longer than a D cell. 4 sub C would even longer still. 5 1/2D's would fit in the 3D tube though. The magcharger pack could work.
I originally tried a custom 4s2p pack that I built from Sanyo xx cells. The fit is very tight and it only holds turbo for about 10mins at best before switching down to high.
Another option would be to build a 4s3p 2/3A pack and get the tube tri-bored but that's getting a bit crazy. A 4s2p 2/3A pack would fit without boring and would be pretty easy to build out of an airsoft pack. Not sure if it would hold turbo for long though.

I'm not sure if the tk50 tube can be bought separately. I bought a whole new tk50!

Hello Monkeyboy, good to hear from you. I like the idea of the TK50 tube on a TK70. But I think I'd try 4 1/2 D cells, or maybe 4 sub C cells. Is it possible to by a spare TK50 tube for this purpose?Sorry to go OT everyone. But this has got me thinking.....

Last edited:

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, TN31 seems likely!

My Thrunite TN31 finally arrived after 3 weeks of sheer agony. It is all I expected it to be and I am extremely pleased with this purchase. It is an excellent XM-L U2 thrower with a nice solid beam and premium white tint. This certainty makes my other XM-L throwers green with envy. I am impressed with additional output and throw and the copper plate to help dissipate heat is a nice touch. I like the individual indents and audible clicks when changing levels. The HA III finish is thicker than others and slightly better than Wolfeyes flashlights. Mine came well lubed and it has a lock-out facility. The anti-reflective coating in conjunction with the superbly designed reflector translates into a pleasing beam profile. I also like that it tail stands and the longer high output runtimes makes for a real work horse. It has a forward clicky and holes for lanyard attachment.

I consider this light to be a hidden gem. However if you would something smaller and lighter, then the Sunwayman T40CS is an excellent choice, although the beam profile is a little ringy. This may bother you or not. I do like the look of this light and the finish is typical of Sunwayman products.

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Thrunite TN31 does look rather tasty. Im still a throw junkie at heart :)
Shame I cant go, I would have like to have compared it with my M6LT.
Im having an elicit affair with sharp pointy things at the moment, hence the lack of
funds for shiny things :p

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast

What should I get?

A Fenix TK70
A Sunwayman T40CS
A Thrunite TN31

So they pay you with hot money, so hot it burns a hole in your pocket ;-)

Had a busy few days, so see you might be well on your way to a decision.

From the recent lights, there are a few that stand out to me. For gadet-y-ness I like the Streamlight Sidewinder with white, red, green and blue LEDs. I've also got a few which are mid review that are impressive, two by Lupine (better known for bike lights) the Piko TL Mini and the Betty TL S both of which are small and amazingly powerful (the Betty TL S has 7 x XM-L!) but are firmly in a higher 'German Engineered' price bracket, and the Xtar S1 which is very powerful 3 x XM-L, but quite substantial in size.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Xtar S1 and it is hefty, the output and throw isn't too shabby.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
So they pay you with hot money, so hot it burns a hole in your pocket ;-)

Had a busy few days, so see you might be well on your way to a decision.

From the recent lights, there are a few that stand out to me. For gadet-y-ness I like the Streamlight Sidewinder with white, red, green and blue LEDs. I've also got a few which are mid review that are impressive, two by Lupine (better known for bike lights) the Piko TL Mini and the Betty TL S both of which are small and amazingly powerful (the Betty TL S has 7 x XM-L!) but are firmly in a higher 'German Engineered' price bracket, and the Xtar S1 which is very powerful 3 x XM-L, but quite substantial in size.

Yeah, decision made. Bought a Jetbeam ST Cycler for my night time cycling (my other hobby) and some new 18650's and a charger.

The decision was aided by the fact I will be able to see the TN31, TM11, Xtar S1 and the SWM T40CS at the meet. So I'll see if my hunger for these lights is abated or not afterwards.

Maybe the money I'm paid is not hot enough? (Bills and school expenses and staring at four sets of hungry eyes night after night - wife, kids and cat)

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tall'nHairyDave would like to come and is added as a definite maybe.

I've already charged all the batteries I have - so just a top up closer to the day. And of course the inevitable last minute emitter swap on my aspherics - green, red or blue? Plus discovered that there is a significant difference in output on my DBS Night Master with two 18650 batts instead of one (brighter by a third).

I've got a couple of Dealextreme lights since last meet - one is great - one is useless, but interesting - it'll be fun seeing if people can see which is which (no, I haven't bought a 'Cat Face' headlamp!)

I honestly can't work up any enthusiasm to bring my Stanley HID - most peeps have seen it and have something brighter now, and it is sooo heavy!!!! I think it will stay at home.

Any requests from people for Arcs, Orbs or Peaks?

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could do with a Cat face headlamp (",)

I have bought a light from International Outdoor which isn't too shabby.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might bring my integrating sphere with me to do some measurements if anyone is interested?

Does anyone have a TM11 they can bring along?

Tofty

Enlightened
If i may i'd like to request: aspheric throwers and QTC lights.
I'm working on both at the moment so would like to see what i'm aiming for.