CPF Meet 2012 UK

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
If i may i'd like to request: aspheric throwers and QTC lights.
I'm working on both at the moment so would like to see what i'm aiming for.

I have some aspheric lights, but I am not sure how many I will be able to bring. What are QTC lights?

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tofty - I'll bring my QTC lights - that is those I modded myself and the Peak ones sold with the QTC module in them.

I'll also bring some Aspherics, but mine, generally, are outclassed by Blue LED's - Basically, I buy what he had at the last meet, and by the time of the next one, he's got some better ones.

I'M NOT BITTER!!!!!!

I'm thinking of a modifying my lights in a way that no one else has thought of - like Torch/peanutbutter dispenser or Torch/Needle and thread kit or even Torch/VAT return calculator...

At least I lead the meets in double-enders...:D

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is true, you do lead the way in double-enders. I will try to dig out my Wolfeyes double-ender. You can change the ends to red, blue, green or white LED.

Your Dereelight should prove to be a good thrower and sub has a surprise or two. I am working on something that should be a real monster thrower. Hopefully I will finish it in time.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If i may i'd like to request: aspheric throwers and QTC lights.
I'm working on both at the moment so would like to see what i'm aiming for.

I know a little about Tofty's aspheric he's building, can't wait to see the results.

Tofty

Enlightened
Thanks Guys, i'll look forward to seeing pretty much anything thats brought along.

@BLUE LED: "qtc lights" referred to torches that utilise a quantum tunnelling compound pill to vary the light output level by changing the compression of the pill which changes it's electrical resistance properties.
In theory making a cheap infinately variable torch, in practice however the pills can be fragile and unpredictable.

@Essexman: I wouldn't get too excited as it's just the basic thrower starter mod. 27.5mm Ahorton asheric lens, 2.1A driven XR-E R2 EZ900 pill from Vinh, all in a Skyray host with mcclicky tail switch, running off a 18650. In fact the only work that needs doing to it is removing the original lens lip from the head and making a threaded pill/lense holder out of copper. The pill is threaded all the way along it's body so the holder will be fully threaded also allowing the pill to be finely adjusted relative to the lens then locked in place with a ring nut from underneath.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tofty
That mod should throw plenty. I am slightly concerned about heat after driving the EZ900 R2 at 2.1A. Have you added a copper slug to help dissipate the heat.

Tofty

Enlightened
The LED is on a 14mm aluminium board which is stuck to the thick brass pill. Everything i make between the pill and the host will be made of copper to improve heat dissipation but if the pill itself can't handle the heat build up theres not alot i can do except build a new pill from scratch using an all copper construction.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED is on a 14mm aluminium board which is stuck to the thick brass pill. Everything i make between the pill and the host will be made of copper to improve heat dissipation but if the pill itself can't handle the heat build up theres not alot i can do except build a new pill from scratch using an all copper construction.

Get the LED off the board. Solder direct to a copper heatsink. Well in a perfect world that wouild be the best way.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the LED off the board. Solder direct to a copper heatsink. Well in a perfect world that wouild be the best way.

I am afraid it is not that easy. Getting rid of the board is easy enough, but you can't just solder onto the copper heatsink. One method is to make a little nest for it to sit in and then clamp it down with two screws.

Last edited:

Tofty

Enlightened
What i should do is order the same pill again but unassembled and build the ultimate heatsink for it and i still might, but for all i know the original pill will work perfectly so i'll give it a go first.
Could the LED not be mounted to the the copper by using some flow solder paste and then heating it in the oven or with a heat gun?
Luckily the Skyray host has a straight sided, pretty much cylindrical drop-in cavity which means making drop-ins for it is much simpler than for the P60 cavities in the surefires.

SkyrayThrowerMod004P.jpg

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice one!

It looks like the light at the end of the tunnel.

Nearly dark here in London, but to be totally fair, it is ​hissing it down.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice job, I am glad you have decided to use AW.and not Ultrafire 18650. The brass pill may work fine, as we are only taking about 2.1A. The Skyray host works well for this type of light, as you do not have to destroy the threads of the Surefire C2, 6P etc.

Let us know how you like it after testing.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice heat sink!

njow I really want to drive down to the south coast just to see this light!

Tofty

Enlightened
The heatsink is threaded down it's length so the pill can be perfectly focused then locked into place with the brass retaining ring.
The two spacer rings are polished stainless steel to help send any stray photons the right way.

Just took it out and all i can really say is it threw alot further than my ultrafire WF-501B XM-L T6, the real test however will be in a couple of weeks, against the best.
I do really like it though, one of my better value mods.

Wouldn't run any lithium-ion except an AW, i don't know enough to start second guessing pretty much everyone's advice on the matter.

If i ever manage to get hold of a C2 the last thing i want to do is start cutting it up, thats what chinese torches are for definitely. I've got other plans for a C2.

Come on Mark, you know that golf course needs lighting up from end to end, well worth the trip.

Last edited:

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice heat sink!

njow I really want to drive down to the south coast just to see this light!

You know you really want to. It will be ever so exciting.

Plus I would like to see some of your mods on old lights. My favourite was the stillness P60 host.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am glad that you like your new thrower and I am intrigued about your plans with a C2.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what's the plan, gang?

Are we meeting in the pub? For afternoon drinks followed by food then a walk in the dark or a trip to the golf course?

Also, who's in and who's out?

I know I'll plan to be there before lunch, partly to guarantee a parking space near to the pub, and partly because I want to have a walk on the downs before the meet - weather permitting - otherwise I'll bring a set of dice or a good book.

Hopefully be bringing one or two other CPFers down from London, and several hundredweight of torches (Kidding - just a few).

Ten days and counting.

PS - anybody booked a table at the pub for supper yet?