Toll-free: 1 (877) 741-3281
Fax: (206) 220-5108
TTY: (206) 220-5254
Jurisdiction: Western Washington
John Meyers, Regional Director

Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.,
Monday through Friday

You might also try the following:
• The housing counseling agency in your community (for assistance, call the HUD Housing Counseling Service Locator at 1–800–569–4287).

These people are tasked to help you, and so should be able to provide more specific guidance than our speculative efforts here.

John

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig,

Got your email.

Sounds like a phone call/letter writing campaign might help.

First though-

Have you completed all the review stuff? Is your end of the paperwork completed?

If we start calling and writing, we need to be able to say you have done everything asked of you, albeit perhaps belatedly.

Second-

If that 1562 amount is paid, does your rent revert?

If so, is it current otherwise?

Third-

Call your local state house representative and your congressman/congresswoman, its an election year, they can make hay off intervening in the "disabled american being evicted because of paperwork" sweepstakes.

Fourth-

We CPF'ers can help, lots of small, nonpainful donations can often take the sting. If the 1562 HAS to be paid, we can probably figure out a way to get it done, but use all your avenues first, remember HUD was established to help people in your circumstances!
Photonboy-HUD is Housing and Urban Development, the department of our government responsible for providing affordable housing to those who otherwise couldn't afford it.

Bill

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
James S,

If it is HUD housing, its a matter of playing by the rules, everyone they put in it is in (supposedly) the same boat, so there is nothing to be gained by just switching tenants.

These type of reviews are to make sure no one is able to take advantage of the low rents, and they apply to everyone equally.

The problem with government agencies is that once the ball starts rolling in one direction, changing it is just about impossible without a high powered body like a congressman, big time newspaper columnist, etc.

Bill

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i asked some people i know who ben in same boat sometimes they may know.i cant belive this im so pissed how can this even happen to a person like craig?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Although I really appreciate the support, I don't think HUD will do much if they receive letters or emails.
HUD is a government agency, and you know how the government is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

I just now fired off an email to a friend who *MIGHT* have a place for me to stay.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
If that 1562 amount is paid, does your rent revert?

[/ QUOTE ]
I need to actually *pay* the $1,562.00 when I get the bill around the 1st of October, and even then, it will not revert. It will be approximately $827.00 a month thereafter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Because they are not renewing my lease, paying that will not stop the eviction. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I'd be just as bad off if I didn't pay my rent at all as I would be if I paid the full amcount.

LED-FX

Enlightened
Hmm that mad time that is election time, perhaps time that Public Servants had the Service bit emphasised on them if they`d like to retain office...

"disabled american being evicted because of paperwork"

Further a disabled American of International Repute, a shining example of how even those disadvantaged can contribute to society....etc, etc

Someat about pen being mightier than sword springs to mind.

Its possibly something everyone could help with, regrdless of their financial situation, by writing to those that may have either a direct or indirect influence.

Thinking of Craig`s local and national politicians, local and national newspapers and even some of the technology related websites that have featured Craig`s site.

Can we try and round up addresses for these people and try and raise the profile of this case.

Adam

2dim

Enlightened
Dear Craig,

I've been on disability since my back was broken by a motorcycle accident in 1979, when hit from behind by a drunk driver without insurance. To top it off, my own insurance company went bankrupt shortly after. I'm presently in public housing and have been for over 20 years, so I fully understand the kind of heartless harassment you must endure continuously, although through some miracle I'm not in a wheelchair. Having faced eviction several times, gone to court dependent on incompetent legal aid lawyers, addressed the housing board, and pleaded for help from politicians at every level [assistants, that is, riff-raff such as we don't usually meet the man, unless it's a photo-op], and spoken to newspaper columnists I've become resigned to the constant struggle required for simple survival, meaning food and shelter.

Craig, I'll be happy to phone and talk with you, if that's acceptable. Really, 'where there's a will there's a way', therefore you have to decide how important living there is to you, under the circumstances. I remember your saying it's impossible to go out at night, because of the seedy neighborhood. The USA represents one big opportunity from my perspective, stuck here as I am with more limited options and no choice in housing. Day after tomorrow the powers that be will be tearing down the entire 4 storey wall outside the room where I stay, along with my balcony, and I'm expected to just endure for 2 months it seems, jackhammers and all.

Imagine me and the cat will be walking the streets visiting drop-ins all day, since I can't lock my bike securely until the store gets it's Kryptonite replacements sometime in October. Anyway, there's a lot more to this tale of woe, so I'll just say it might be good for us both to talk. If that's agreeable, PM your number with the best times to call and I'll do so. For me, afternoon and evenings, but with these weapons of mass construction forcing my evacuation from 8am to 6pm, who knows? Today and tomorrow night would be alright. First in importance is to try and stay strong, in body and spirit. Thankfully, my own drug/alchohol attempts at escape are well in the past. Although this body has grown old and tired, worn down through chronic pain, I've learned a little over the years and can sometimes assist, or at least encourage, others in similar situations. Hope to be in touch soon.

Peter

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate hearing this it's wrong greedy vile.
I don't advocate playing "dirty" in my idea here, i see it as simply playing the same hardball game being played on craig, but with a combied effort it's possible to get this info to all the right people in a blizkrieg style info overload.

Fact's of the matter,written up by a atty ie, craig's disabilty is obvious,(wheelchair bound)the land lord has the power to allow reinstatement, craig's diability is such that minor thing's take major effort, and this slipped by much like senator's who forgot to tell staffers there coke habit in collage slipped by,(of course you can't say that, it's an example) and then a fax/phone letter campaign, to all pertinent office's, and photo copies of fax's letters of high level target's hud, politician's,newspaper, election office's, get send to landlord By either the attny or a title holder of this "people for unfair real estate practice"(whatever it will be called) basically anyone but craig, so the LL see that this could be very damaging and thing's could very well work.
I imagine the 1562 will have to be paid but you will have the same rent hopefully.
I live in a collage town somewhat liberal, and have seen and been involved in this type of guerilla tactic's and seen result's. I hope this help's,, at least with Idea's.
My prayers for you craig, I have gotten so much from your site, this newbie greatly appreciates it very much. VDG

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig,

Have you worked out another place that you can afford?

-john

2dim

Enlightened
Craig, if you do want or need to stay there, then legal advice and possibly representation is probably essential at this point. Look under legal clinics in the phone book. Hate to say it, but being in a wheelchair is one big advantage at times like this. That extra rent probably can either be held by the lawyer, or paid into a special account until negotiations or courts resolve matters. You could end up getting your money back, minus the usual rental amounts. In any case, time is limited and there's plenty to do, but that's where to start immediately.

2dim

Enlightened
LED-FX, you're right about embarassing publicity, however it's best to avoid unless absolutely necessary as not only will it be hard on Craig himself, but can mess up any possibility of negotiating in good faith [yeah, that's what it's called]. He'd be better served by accepting legal advice from those experienced in these situations. Needless to say, this sh*t is happening 24-7, kinda like this year's Florida hurricanes, only worse in many ways. It ain't over 'til it's over and IT'S NEVER OVER!

Peter

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Did illness or injury cause you to miss your annual HUD review? This would certainly look good in your favor. By my calculations your rent is going up from $91 to $827 per month. You obviously cannot pay this, and unless some miracle happens it looks like you're SOL. Do you have relatives you can stay with? Are your parents amenable to taking you back in? That would probably be the best solution. I'm still with my parents at 41 because rents in NYC are simply too high for a single person to afford, unless you make over about $50,000 per year, which I dont. My brother moved back in with us about two months ago because he couldn't afford his rent. It was raised from $600 to $800 in early January, then again to $975 in April, and finally to $1300 in June. The last increase was what made the rent unaffordable.

What you need to do is read whatever you can to determine your rights in this situation. There may be some loophole which prevents a rent increase and allows you to complete your HUD review if you had a good reason for missing it. On the other hand, if you didn't, most government agencies don't look kindly when you miss an appointment. From where I stand unless you were incapacitated in some way things don't look too good but I wish you luck anyway. Sometimes a sympathethic public official can help, or if you receive enough publicity a philanthropist may come to your aid. I wish I had the means and/or space to help you. I've enjoyed your site ever since I've been online.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o i understand more now i thought it went from 800 to 1300.i was thinking 800 is to high already.this sucks