*****CRAIG GETTING EVICTED????*****

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
OTOH, this could be a blessing in disguise. In Craig's case, I'd be tempted to uproot and move to a small town (not too small, it would need public transportation for example) where it was dark at night for flashlight testing and safe to travel at night. JMOH.

Topper

Flashaholic*
I would think the rent in a smaller town would run much cheaper, at least thats the way it works here.
I am willing to help just not sure if Pay-pal is the answer for this one? If the lease is running out I do not think a Landlord has to renew if they choose not too. Craig you are in my prayers just let us know what we can do.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Eric_M

Enlightened
As said before, let us know where to chip in. Hopefully Sasha can put a link up top if it'll help.

Eric

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig,

A move east of the mountains to the sunny side?:)

BUT....If you don't want to move, use up all those options, and the truth is, your congressmen/women will help, IF you can get to them.

Bill

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig'

If you don't have any luck with HUD and need a little cash to help you find a place or need money for living expenses in the meantime...TELL US!! We'll help.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I emailed a friend awhile ago who *MIGHT* have a place, but notice I said "MIGHT" here. He might not also. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

I'm packing up stuff like flashlights, spectroscopes, Digimon CDs, light bulbs, lasers, and other stuff that glows (and some stuff that does not glow), so at least I'll have that ready for storage or use on October 10. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
At very minimum, I can store most of this stuff at my friend's house, even if he does not have a place for me to live.

I can't contact any of the government agencies until tomorrow, as they are closed on weekends. So I'll be spending at least some of today packing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

2dim

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
Craig,

A move east of the mountains to the sunny side?:)

BUT....If you don't want to move, use up all those options, and the truth is, your congressmen/women will help, IF you can get to them.

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

Moving may be best, but not always so easy to do quickly. Congressman for sure. Doctors' [note: plural] support very helpful, especially if you can write letters together and they're willing to work co-operatively with your legal counsel. Go to politicians well-armed so they have something to use. They're usually better at presenting your case than figuring out what to do by themselves. That should be left to lawyers and sometimes doctors, too, especially if disability is an issue. Main thing is deciding what's best for you, all things considered, knowing what you really want now and for the future. Then others can help make it happen. That's a lot easier for all concerned than hoping they'll somehow come up with alternatives or solutions on their own.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
man i sure hope we can remedy this.man this just plain sucks.thanks for all ya good people giveing advice

2dim

Enlightened
Craig, that's not good news. Were you close to him for long? If so he may still co-operate, perhaps by contacting an associate close by and asking his help. If at all possible find another one you can work with, for the long term, maybe by asking friends for recommendations. Doctors can be our best asset in dealing with the 'authorities', which I guess you already realize must be done on an ongoing basis, often when least expected. I don't know why that assessment was missed, but someone will have to somehow come up with a reasonably valid excuse, if you choose to fight this. Since it will cost so much and there isn't much time, it seems there may be no other choice right now.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Craig,

I'm sure if you need a place to store some of your lights for a while.....well, let's just say I might know a few places.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig,

As a medical provider, I know that even if he moved, someone local has those records. An ex-partner, the clinic itself, etc. You should be able to get access within one or two days of notifying them.

Also, if he was in solo pratice, someone still has them, call the hospital he was affiliated with, and they should be able to help.

Bill

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being a blind guy in a wheelchair this does not shock or surprise me. One thing I know, there is always an alternative. Trying calling who ever is responsible for the HID review thing, try different times of the day to get a different person and ask them. Ask you local disability agency for the disabled or blind too.

Next would be to talk to the landlord and tell them the situation. Normally they are decent people, but use rough language and very threatening to get someone to act. I had my rent payment get lost in the mail and over 16 notices sent to me, phone calls and red plackers on my door knob. I had a sheet already sent with the cost of court, lawyers fees, etc to evict me. I called them over and over, the lawyer and so on and told them it was mailed and I could write another check or wait for that to clear. They waved everything they threatened. Another time my rent was short cause I was unaware I had a deal being a student and it went up. Same effing process, they credited me the late fee, etc. Being a college student I did not need to go through the bullshoot most tenets do and I think 530 sq feet is pretty good at 567 a month in the city where they have public transportation. I got a part time job, full time student.

I was in rehab 4 hours from home and was told I had to be off the grounds Friday afternoon by Monday 8am. THey said someone with a van would take me and my wheelchair and one piece of luggage and drop me off at the bus station or the end of their property line. TO make things worse this was on the july 4 weekend. Lucky I got my folks, they rented a truck and got me out of there before hand. Basically they had a review and said I did not make the progress they expected, been there a year and thought my program was over. Never mind I ran the computer lab there the whole year.

Then at the dept for the blind, that was rough too. They refused to let me into any programs for employment than basket weaving and taking a corspondents course by mail. They told me my best bet was a nursing home or my parents. I snuck off to a local community college and took the entrance exam. I had tried a real college, but my academic stuff wasnt up to snuff. After I sprung that on them that i took it the director was willing himself to take me there to get teh results. I declined and got my folks to help me. Basically I was aiming for college or ECPI. Been to both, but the state people had a negative view of ecpi. So, got the results back that I was accepted for the final meeting before I was going to be kicked out. They said they had an open door policy and had to accept anyone. Well further talks, letters to my congressman and they put together a test for me on computers that was fair to easy then an internship in the computer dept. It went well and the deputy interviewed me and honestly asked me about it. Told him I "worked" 8 hours day and had registration with the transportation service and could. Reason I say honest as most of these guys lie to you and try to trick you.

As for being kicked out of rehab centers, they wont let you live there if you do not attend classes, if they wont accept you in class, then you have to pay out the *** for rent and food.

Needless to say after trying to further my education since 96 and countless job applications, 2 rehab centers, 17 months living at home after giving up, 5 years at a community college, an associate degree in bus admin, I got a job part time telemarketing + comission its ten bucks an hour, then found out the 5 years and 150 credit hours at the college gave me a second degree an associates in soc science and transfered to vcu for a bs in management. Now with mt resume online I get calls, emails about jobs. Just got one for full time deal benefits, private parking space.

Even in college I met some a hole profs and folks in real life. The paratransit company I fax my reservations in as they screwed up verbal ones and they still manage to screw them up, besides running up to an hour late, so I pad my sechudle. I then call them on screwups as I have proof of what i sent on.

Yeah, it sounds like business as usual with our so called, so sure security.

naromtap

Enlightened
As a UK citizen I won't even attempt to offer advise on this, but should donations be required, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/paypal.gif is at the ready!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Give me a number to call, or to fax to!

I am another guy who wishes I was rich enough to get you a real home! But I can barely afford to pay attention!

As many have said, get a politician involved! Those money grubbing glory hounds would kill for something like this, especially if they could clobber Bush with it!

It sickens me to no end to hear about this. We must WIN!

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
Yes, it's true. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
I might be getting evicted on 10-10-04, because I missed an annual review that HUD requires, so they're raising my rent retroactive to 09-01-04 to about $827 a month - I only receive just over $500 a month on disability. So I'll receive a bill for October rent of $1,562.00, which of course, I cannot pay.
The letter they sent reads that they will not renew my lease even if I do submit all the correct paperwork. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The scrolling banner on my website now reads:

VERY, VERY IMPORTANT!!! I MAY BE EVICTED FROM MY HOME ON 10-10-04, BUT I WILL TRY TO KEEP THIS WEBSITE AVAILABLE FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE AFTER THAT!!! TO SAVE THE ENTIRE WEBSITE FOR OFFLINE VIEWING, RUN WEBREAPER ON IT

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be interested in hearing more about why the "HUD annual review" was missed. What are the details behind that?