Cree SC5 platform, XHP LED's

easilyled

Flashaholic
Quad-dies in the past like the Seoul-P7 and Cree MC-E have presented a challenge in terms of throw due to a central donut in the beam which often needs to be smoothed by using a stippled reflector. If this is the case for this XHP, then it might not necessarily be a better choice for use in flashlights than the MT-G2 despite the die-area being smaller.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I, too, wonder if that diffused looking dome will make a difference. The close up pics I have seen of the XP-L dome look similar to that.

mds82

Enlightened
I was able to meet with my rep today and he had a bit of a show and tell. This is a pic of the initial lineup of the XHP series. The XHP70 on the right contains the same die as the XL-P and is capabale of emitting over 4000 lumen which having a higher junction temperate rating of around 100C - 120C. Pretty cool..

CreeXHP_zpsb09a070a.jpg

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the 6V inputs as of lately.

I bet that new emitter would do wonders direct driven off 2 IMR type cells.

bigC

Hoop

Enlightened
Call me a skeptic but I doubt that that 1m white wall shot of the Eagletac is... "accurate. "

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who said it's accurate? Brightness and runtime are basically the same but has tighter(5.7° vs. 7.5°) and more intensive (61klux vs. 45klux) spot.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Its worth trying out a light with one of these at some stage to compare it with my MT-G2 lights. I find it amusing that Eagtac claims that the XHP 50 version can produce a maximium 2800 lumens. It seems that they had to find that extra 50 lumens for the spec-sheet to justify its use over the MT-G2 which can "only" produce a maximum of 2750 lumens according to the specs!

Maybe the smaller die-size does enable the XHP-50 to throw further and if so, then that will be an advantage. Although if the reflector needs to be stochastic (ie orange-peeled) to tame the notorious quad-die donuts, then that may well nullify the advantage.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think HHP50 may work well with smooth reflector, it has 4 chips indeed but they're fairly close to each other and than covered with the frosted dome.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I think HHP50 may work well with smooth reflector, it has 4 chips indeed but they're fairly close to each other and than covered with the frosted dome.

If you happen to come across this combination at some point, please let us know in this thread.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
If my calculator is doing math correctly, 4357 candela 200 lumens for 20 hours. Seems impresive to me. Does eagletac have flat regulation?

clemence

Newly Enlightened
Had anyone here tried to use the XML base to solder XHP50? I see minor differences in the footprints

XHP50 bottom side dimension

XML bottom side dimension

This little XHP50 is an excellent candidate for those already using the XML2 Easy white (6V) as the 6V version of XML2 suffers from lower efficiency compared to the low voltage version. I plan to upgrade my motorcycle DRL lights using XHP50 soon!!

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
Had anyone here tried to use the XML base to solder XHP50? I see minor differences in the footprints
I'm not seeing any differences except the separator dividing the two pads into four? So if running as 6V, to me it should work fine, as long as the soldermask and flux successfully keeps the solder to defined pads rather than bridging. Even then, not sure if a bridge from eg. anode to the thermal pad would be an issue, as theoretically the thermal pad is electrically isolated. Though of course if it's a direct path to the star (sinkpad etc) with good connection to the body then it may well provide a short path...:thinking:
So to be on the safe side, lay down four dedicated pad solder strips rather than two, or lay down two and get a toothpick and make a break in the middle. Maybe.