Cree SC5 platform, XHP LED's

clemence

Newly Enlightened
Well, I guess so too. It should be straight forward just use less solder at the anode and cathode. I never use anything other than Sinkpad or Noctigon theses days. I'd rather make my own direct copper MCPCB than to use the dielectric MCPCB.

Joys_R_us

Newly Enlightened
I do not understand why CREE says "at similar watts per lumen" compared with XM-L2 and the table here shows 123 vs 81/109 lumens per watt ???

Last edited:

Joys_R_us

Newly Enlightened
I don't complain, I just don't understand. A company with a better product (sometimes even without) would use it as a marketing argument...unless I am overseeing something in the technicalities and the new LED is not more efficient.

clemence

Newly Enlightened
I don't complain, I just don't understand. A company with a better product (sometimes even without) would use it as a marketing argument...unless I am overseeing something in the technicalities and the new LED is not more efficient.

Yes, somehow I feel it too. Why they don't use this advantage to their marketing. I remember the last time they use 85C as their new binning standard temperature (started when they launch XT-E if my memory serves me right). During that time the XT-E reaches 139 lumen per watt at 85C when the top XP-G was only 139 lumen per watt at 25C. And they didn't really boast it that much.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sinkpad is in fact making boards for both the XHP 50 and 70. I have some samples on the way and intend to stock the 70 size boards. The rep from sinkpad I spoke with says that the 6 volt 50 size emitters will work with XML sinkpads, but the 12V will NOT hence they are making a special board for it

If any one is interested LCK-LED is NOW SHIPPING the XHP70. Its not a top bin though IIRC it was like one down from the top I think.
I can't swear to it, but I believe this emitter will also work on an MK-R mcpcb.

Cutter Electronics is also showing the XHP70 on a copper star IN STOCK in the N4 bin.

clemence

Newly Enlightened
Sinkpad is in fact making boards for both the XHP 50 and 70. I have some samples on the way and intend to stock the 70 size boards. The rep from sinkpad I spoke with says that the 6 volt 50 size emitters will work with XML sinkpads, but the 12V will NOT hence they are making a special board for itIf any one is interested LCK-LED is NOW SHIPPING the XHP70. Its not a top bin though IIRC it was like one down from the top I think. I can't swear to it, but I believe this emitter will also work on an MK-R mcpcb.Cutter Electronics is also showing the XHP70 on a copper star IN STOCK in the N4 bin.
It's good that my unused XML sinkpads are not wasted. Matt, thx the shipment has arrived faster than I thought. I need to order 50-100pcs XP 10mm and several (dunno yet, probably 20ish pcs) 16mm XM next month. Do you think you'll have them?

marc.collin

Newly Enlightened
for the XHP70,

Size (mm x mm)7.0 x 7.0
Product options 6-V, 12-V, high-CRI
Maximum drive current (A)4.8 (6-V), 2.4 (12-V)
Maximum power (W)32
Light outputUp to 4022 lm @ 32 W
Typical forward voltage (V)
5.8 @ 2100 mA (6-V), 11.6 @ 1050 mA (12-V)
Viewing angle (degrees)120
Binning85°C, ANSI White, 2-, 3- & 5-Step EasyWhite®
Thermal resistance (°C/W)0.9
Reflow-solderableYes – JEDEC J-STD-020C-compatible
RoHS and REACH-compliantYes
UL-recognized componentYes – Level 4 Enclosure Consideration

is there any advantage to run it at 6v instead of 12v?

both will use anyway 28Wh (4.8 * 6)

with a 22650 battery like a keep power 5200mhA 3.7 v(normal) max 4.2 max volt, we get 19wh (3.7 x 5200), so we more then one.

my calculation is ok?

what driver can support it?

Jakefreese

Newly Enlightened
for the XHP70,

Size (mm x mm)7.0 x 7.0
Product options6-V, 12-V, high-CRI
Maximum drive current (A)4.8 (6-V), 2.4 (12-V)
Maximum power (W)32
Light outputUp to 4022 lm @ 32 W
Typical forward voltage (V)
5.8 @ 2100 mA (6-V), 11.6 @ 1050 mA (12-V)
Viewing angle (degrees)120
Binning85°C, ANSI White, 2-, 3- & 5-Step EasyWhite®
Thermal resistance (°C/W)0.9
Reflow-solderableYes – JEDEC J-STD-020C-compatible
RoHS and REACH-compliantYes
UL-recognized componentYes – Level 4 Enclosure Consideration

is there any advantage to run it at 6v instead of 12v?

both will use anyway 28Wh (4.8 * 6)

with a 22650 battery like a keep power 5200mhA 3.7 v(normal) max 4.2 max volt, we get 19wh (3.7 x 5200), so we more then one.

my calculation is ok?

what driver can support it?
I can't wait to get some of them. I think they will be better to work with than some of the high lumen cob due to the lower Vf. I would look into the Texas instruments driver solutions, I'll look tonight if I get a chance.

marc.collin

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

jason 77

Enlightened
Anyone know where I can buy the xhp50 and xhp70 that is closer to the USA, I really don't want to pay more for shipping than the leds are gonna cost from places like cutter and lck-led?

jason 77

Enlightened
I'll answer my own question, mouser has some of both the xph50 and xph70 bare LEDs, the ones I bought are on order so we will see how long it takes for me to get them. Mountain Electronics has what look like really nice MCPCB for both LEDs. I will post pics once I receive them.

jason 77

Enlightened
Well the sinkpad MCPCB's arrived already! They look nice, just waiting on the actual LEDs to get here now...
2015-02-16%2B11.58.14.jpg

thijsco19

Newly Enlightened
If you happen to come across this combination at some point, please let us know in this thread.
I've mod a convoy L5 host with a XHP50 led. It has a smooth reflector and yes there is still a 'dark spot' in the middle of the hot spot.
I'm not sure if that's because I couldn't focus the led properly or because it's just the quad die layout itself.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I've mod a convoy L5 host with a XHP50 led. It has a smooth reflector and yes there is still a 'dark spot' in the middle of the hot spot.
I'm not sure if that's because I couldn't focus the led properly or because it's just the quad die layout itself.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess that we'll have to wait for further lights using these emitters to be able to draw firm conclusions but your results are interesting.

thijsco19

Newly Enlightened
Here's a beamshot I took couple days back, pointing at the ceiling from about 1.5meters away.
It's my first beamshot so I'd took it with the auto setting on the camera.

It's a XHP50 mounted in a Convoy L5 host with a smooth reflector.
As you can see, there is a dark spot in the middle of the hotspot. In real life you can see it better and if I hold the light further away the dark spot becomes more visible.
P3191289_zps4owgyz6z.jpg