Cree Stock

axolotls

Enlightened
Re: Cree shares almost $29

$26.78 today. Just found out that my trailing stop took me out around $27 a week or go or so. That's what I get for not reading my snail mail. Overall it was a nice 60 - 70% gain. Most likely won't play again. Hope it is doing well for everyone else!

o0o

Enlightened
Curious what everyone thinks of Cree, the company. I love their LEDs, but I wonder if the company itself is going to have success long term.

Does anyone foresee Cree being a good long-term investment? (assuming one already has a well diversified portfolio of course)

winston

Enlightened
Would've been a nice buy in December. The one analysis I read of it around that time noted that it had lost half its value in the last 12 months, and predicted it would lose half its remaining value in the next twelve months. From 30 to 15 to 7.5 /share. It's presently at 25.67/share. So much for predictions. I invest in companies that impress me with their honesty and integrity. If they make a product that I believe in and they believe in, I don't see why I shouldn't put a few bucks into that business. I guess that's why I've got about fifty bucks in the bank until thursday. :whistle:
-Winston

Kinnza

Enlightened
I think Cree have a nice future. Their SiC expertise itself is a solid value. Cree had lost share value in the last year, but its more related to a previous high value than any other cause, i believe. Investors searched for companies well positioned in the LED market, due to the high expectation about this market future growth. After the concentration process in the LED market, and with all the mayor lighting manufacturers buying and investing in the LED field, CREE has remained as the only mayor LED manufacturer wich isnt supported by a mayor lighting company.

Cree has a different strategy than other LED manufacturers, and possibly investors prefer the "guarantee" of companies having good distributors channels and integration capabilities. Cree dont make light fixtures or any finished product, they only want to be a leader manufacturer of components and raw materials. They dont want to enter in the marketing war, by not selling directly to the public, because they want to concentrate only in being a leader in the LED's manufacturing procces. IMHO, its a good strategy, at least for the moment.

The problem with share values of this companies is they are more affected by future expectations than to current company results. After the loss in the last year, i think Cree is currently a nice investment target, always you are thinking in the long term. Companies in sectors with quick growth, as LEDs, have a very speculative component, causing large fluctuations of value in the short term.

Perfectionist

Enlightened
Re: Cree - as a financial company

since the start of the year, Cree's stock has jumped nearly 56 percent
God damn !! :thumbsup: I should stop playing the Lottery and start playing the Stock Market !! :ohgeez:

ps56k

Enlightened
Re: Cree - as a financial investment

yeah -
Looks like the stock has jumped on rumors of a GE buyout.
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=CREE

Wish I had stumbled across this earlier,
didn't even think of them as a large publicly traded company,
might be too risky now.

axolotls

Enlightened
Re: Noticed shares of Cree stock moving upward

Up 11% today so far... closing in on $30

Still have a few shares that might have to go soon... Don't wanna play this game anymore ;)

Last edited:

axolotls

Enlightened

Up 9% to $32.01 on GE buyout rumors (again)

Guess everyone cashed out already?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't trust the stock market. Period. But the old rule 'Buy on rumor - sell on news' does come to mind. However I hope Cree does not get bought out by GE.

axolotls

Enlightened

That is so true. Ask me about AAPL.

Oh man. No, talk to me about AAPL (pre-iPod!). Today my remaining shares doubled in value in CREE. I might just bow out today and wait for next short term impeding collapse of the world markets (with a cherry on top).

Heck, I need to buy a Nintendo WII anyways!

da.gee

Enlightened

I am talking pre-iPod!

alanagnostic

Enlightened

Really if you invest for the long-term it's not necessarily that risky. I've bought shares of Cree anywhere from $17 to $27/share. Cree is one of the only public companies left that is making LED's (and isn't part of some huge conglomerate). And as I understand it they hold a lot of patents on LED's. I really hope GE doesn't buy Cree because I want to hold it for a long time....until there are LED's EVERYWHERE! Then the stock analysts will be telling us to buy Cree...they'll be telling us the future is bright and you can't lose on Cree stock:shakehead:shakehead. If they are not bought out in the next 10 years I expect to be getting returns of 200,300,400%. You just have to keep your head while others are losing theirs.

Arkayne

Enlightened

What a great thread! I'm no stock junkie in the least but it's great to see what goes on in the mind of someone who invests in stocks. It looks like fun when you end up in the positive.

axolotls

Enlightened

What a great thread! I'm no stock junkie in the least but it's great to see what goes on in the mind of someone who invests in stocks. It looks like fun when you end up in the positive.

Well, when you 'trade' CREE you are only buying and selling in the secondary market.

I have little or no faith in my ability to predict the futures of any company except Coca Cola, Mc Donalds etc...

To me, it's just a fun way of -gambling- that also involves a lot of psychological analysis and unlike Vegas you usually don't win or lose it all in five seconds.

Yeah, and I still have a lot of shares that want to be sold soon (but then whoever mentioned Apple before.....)

Phredd

Enlightened
Stronger Market For LED Bulbs

Congress, in its infinite wisdom, passed an energy bill that will outlaw incandescent bulbs in four years. Most people I know hate fluorescent bulbs and the compact bulbs that are destined to replace the incandescent bulbs contain mercury which pose a health and environmental risk. There was an article about a woman who paid $2000 to have the mercury cleaned up from a broken bulb.

It seems that LED bulbs would have a much easier time competing with these compact fluorescent bulbs than with incandescent bulbs. So, with incandescent bulbs out of the way, I'm betting that companies will now put a lot more effort into producing mass-market LED bulbs, likely using Cree LEDs. I wouldn't even be surprised if they would be bought by GE. I've decided to reinvest in Cree. It's now at $22, off its $34 peak last August.

Phredd

Note that I'm not recommending that anyone invest.

Last edited:

Latest posts