Cree XML vs MCE beamshot pic request

the badger

Enlightened
Does anybody have any good photos outdoors (not against a wall) comparing the XML and MCE in both neutral and cool for both LEDs?

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
I suspect no one has all the emitters available from Jason to do a shootout other than Jason. Maybe he can??

the badger

Enlightened
Understandably.

I'm just waiting to order an Alpha Blue-Label and I have no clue which tint to go with. Jason's website does a great job explaining how good the neutral MCE is, but I want to visually compare it to the other tints he has.

nbp

Flashaholic
Did you look at this page? You can click on the LED options and see beamshots outdoors and on some colorful books and such. Pretty helpful I think. FWIW, I really love the neutral MC-E in my Alpha...

the badger

Enlightened
Yes, but his outdoor beam shots are not the neutral and cool LED's which he offers. They are 5700K. The bookshelf shots are the actual neutral/cool options.
I'm liking what Jason says about the MCE, and am thinking if I can't get the neutral then I'll go with the cool MCE.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Move your cursor over the bookshelf picture; it alternates between being lit by the cool and neutral MC-Es; same for the XM-Ls, and the HI CRI XP-G. The difference is pretty clear.

nbp

Flashaholic
Ah, simultaneous posting, lol. I am sure he has neutral MC-E on hand as that is the "Maker's Choice". Everyone seems to be very pleased with it around here. Very soothing tint, good color rendition, awesome smooth floody beam with the MC-E/Boom reflector combo, lots of lumens... You can't go wrong.

nbp

Flashaholic
The difference between, say, 400 and 500 lumens will be virtually unnoticeable.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Ready-Made with the Maker's Choice. The neutral MC-E with the Ledil boom reflector is a magical combination. Wonderful beam and tint. And it is very bright and I rarely go past M. You won't notice the "missing" 100 lumens and you will notice the beautiful beam and tint.

Illum

Flashaholic
The difference between, say, 400 and 500 lumens will be virtually unnoticeable.

especially if the camera is not shooting full manual or the color balance was off to begin with

I'm not sure how to go about making a beamshot comparison because MCE and XML reflectors are not cross compatible. Adapting either to a reflector fit for the other will severely distort the output. Furthermore, an XML/MCE with a reflector that is deeper or wider than the other will yield an impression that one is brighter than the other simply by the intensity of the hotspot, so no quantifiable result there.

XML is dimmer than the MCE under the same forward current, but thats because the XML truly shines when its being pushed past 1.5A, roughly twice the rated current of an MCE behind its maximum. Below 1.5A, XMLs are not as cost effective as XP-Gs. For an XML to equal the maximum output of an MCE. it will have to be driven past 2A as opposed to the 700mA needed in an MC-E to perform at ~650lm. However, For an MCE to equal the maximum output of an XML, you'll likely need two MC-Es driven around 500mA. Big difference I should say!

Code:
+++MCE  cool white [MCE4WT-A2-0000-000M02] adequately cooled 
Output: 430lm  before losses at 350mA
Efficacy: roughly 96lm/W at 350mA
Power Dissipation: 4.48W at 350mA

Maximum forward current 700mA, maximum of 645 emitter lumens before losses
Efficacy: 68lm/W at 350mA
Power Dissipation: 9.52W at 700mA

+++XML cool white [XMLAWT-00-0000-0000T6053] adequately  cooled 
Output: 280lm before losses at 700mA
Efficacy: roughly  138lm/W at 700mA
Power Dissipation: 2.03W at 700mA

Maximum forward current 3000mA, maximum 910 emitter lumens before losses
Efficacy: 90lm/W at 3000mA
Power Dissipation: 10W at 3000mA

All these numbers are for a Tj=25C, so derate as you go. Derate all performance specs, but overrate the thermal dissipation and size your heatsinks from there, your LEDs will thank you.

Last edited:

the badger

Enlightened
Illum,

Thanks for the response. I just ordered an Alpha Blue-Label with the MCE 4500K. I'm sure I made the right choice.

*Edit*
I just ordered a second Alpha Blue-Label with the MCE 6500K. This way there will be no confusion.

Last edited: