• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Custom built triple CREE XP-E <> P60 drop-ins - SALES CLOSED FOR NOW

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Custom built triple CREE XP-E <> P-60 drop-ins. PRE-PAY SALE

That driver looks like it gets pretty hot and limits high mode to 10 minutes and the sequence is low high middle which I really don't care for. Plus a reviewer said you have to turn it off and back on to change modes? Not sure if he means it literally like it sounds. Hope not.

Anyone have any experience with the quoted, linked driver above?
Or have any other ideas? The driver chosen for this project sounds really great except for the 1 18650 only part. :thinking: I just really want to use that Leef 2X18650 tube!

The driver should perform well when it is potted.
The mode changing should be the same as most multi mode drivers.
I didn't notice the low hi med.

I really do not know much about it yet.

EDIT: Look at this post. What do you think, I don't know enough about drivers to grasp it all.

He is only referring to driving the leds at a lower current to increase the regulated runtime.
Nothing about a 2 cell driver there.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

Moddoo is right-on. My concern was limited only to continuous operation run time in regulation, and mainly when you might be using an underperforming 18650 cell. If you run the 3 R2 LEDs in parallel, I personally would be more concerned about thermal runaway, rather than ability of the string of LEDs to keep working if one LED dies. If you want to use 2x18650 with 3 R2s in parallel, I don't know of any good, high-powered, 17mm buck driver options. The excellent Shark Buck and hipCC buck drivers are too big. I would probably suck up the high price and make a 2xSOB1000 parallel sandwich driver. But that choice is clearly not for everyone. You can buy an 8xAMC7135-based driver for about $6 and stick with 1x18650, versus about $36 for two SOBs. Also, you get only single-mode with the SOB, which is undesirable for some.

Last edited:

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm definitely interested in a 2x SOB1000 variant.

taylor

Newly Enlightened

Hi Moddoo,

Paypal sent for the following:

2x (20mm board with 3 CREE XP-E R2 WG with 10507 Narrow lens front) = $75x2
2x10508 Frosted medium for spare= $ 8x2
One new bored DEFENDER body = $25
ADD $6 SHIPPING PER ORDER INTERNATIONAL
Total : $197
Please leave optic loose. Thx.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm definitely interested in a 2x SOB1000 variant.

FYI, if you did want to get closer to an SOB2100 to drive the 3xR2 parallel star at the maximum of 700mA per R2, you could specify two SOB blank boards and use sense resistors of .05 and .47 on each board. That would give you two SOB1106 buck drivers, resulting in an SOB2212 sandwich (737mA forward current per R2, a little over the 700mA rated max). Price would be about $40 for the two boards (including having Wayne solder on the sense resistors).

Besides 2x18650, you could also use 2xIMR16340. Basically, with a buck driver you will drop the tail current draw by about 1/2, resulting in a draw of about 1.2A or 1.3A. This is more than the 2C max discharge rate for regular Li-Co chemistry 16340s, but well within the specs for an IMR16340.

I am trying to figure out how to use this very cool heat sink to run a triple R2 star in series. It looks tough. Another option I am looking at is using an MC-E, but the available optics don't seem to have the same dimensions as the optics for the triple R2 star. Right now, though, it looks like 3 R2s in parallel is the best way to go overall. I hope Cutter matches the Vf for the 3 XP-Es on the star.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened

Moddoo, I didn't catch this.....is this able to work with a single IMR16340?

I've got a Solorforce L2M that uses P60 style drop-ins....

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Moddoo, I didn't catch this.....is this able to work with a single IMR16340?

I've got a Solorforce L2M that uses P60 style drop-ins....

Yes, the 2.5 A draw on high is well within the 8C discharge rating of that cell.

pocket rocket
:twothumbs

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Moddoo,

I will be purchasing the 10507 Narrow and XPE-R2 WG come this Friday (payday):whistle:

Food for thought:
I have been persuing heavily a P60 drop-in that can make 500 lumens out the front with a single cell. By single cell I mean IMR 18650 or IMR 16340. So far I have gone through great lenghs and yet no luck. I have purchased 2 Malkoff P7 P60 direct drive drop-ins, 4 Malkoff MC-E direct drive and regulated (warm and cool) and 2 Nailbender P60 P7's on direct drive, but yet to find the golden egg. This is an overview of what happens.

The Mallkoff's run about 30 lumens more than the Nailbender P7 direct drive, but still far from 500 lumens..

Using the same Surefire 6P w/ UCL lens and stock twistie converted to clikie.
1. IMR 18650 =356 out the front lumens.
2. IMR 16340 = 330 out the front lumens.
3. 2 Primaries = 456 out the front lumens----A direct drive P7 or MC-E can only handle about 4.2v, but on primaries the 2.8~3A current makes 2 primaries sag to about 3.9v under load.
Then MrGman tested the Malkoff P7 P60 drop-in with a AW "C" li-on in a fivemega 1C hosts and he got 383 out the front lumens.

Then MrGman tested it with 3 "C" NiMH cells and he got over 500 lumens, but for a short couple seconds only:candle:
Nailbender P7_D26 Mod__,__Fivemega 3C_________3 C Tenergy,___547.7______3 sec_______,
Nailbender P7_D26 Mod__,__Fivemega 3C_________3 C Tenergy,___459.8_____30 sec_______,
Nailbender P7_D26 Mod__,__Fivemega 3C_________3 C Tenergy,___441.1_____60 sec_______,
Nailbender P7_D26 Mod__,__Fivemega 3C_________3 C Tenergy,___422.4____120 sec_______,
Nailbender P7_D26 Mod__,__Fivemega 3C_________3 C Tenergy,___409.3____180 sec_______, Oh My what a huge drop in lumens... This is with those 5000mAh Tenergy cells with under 5 charges.

I want to ask MrGman to test your P60 drop-in as soon as I order and receive mine, with the hope that it can break the 500 lumen barrier and stay obove it for at least 3 minutes without dipping into the low low low 400 lumen range.

Thanks,
bigchelis

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

MrGman tested his Malkoff Tripple R2 in a Mag w/ 4 "C" NiMH cells and here is what he got. He gets 3A of current at the Tail during the entire 1 hour runtime tests he does with no drop in current, but off course LED's get hot and make less lumens.:popcorn:

This is what gives me hope and with a little less current means less heat and your drop-in could possibly deliver what I seek "500 out the front in a P60 single cell IMR hosts"

Malkoff Triple Drop_____,__Maglight AR glass,__________________680.4__,___3 sec_______,
Malkoff Triple Drop_____,__Maglight AR glass,__________________611.2__,__30 sec_______,
Malkoff Triple Drop_____,__Maglight AR glass,__________________586.9__,__60 sec_______,
Malkoff Triple Drop_____,__Maglight AR glass,__________________573.8__,__90 sec_______,
Malkoff Triple Drop_____,__Maglight AR glass,__________________562.6__,_120 sec_______,
Malkoff Triple Drop_____,__Maglight AR glass,__________________555.1__,_150 sec_______,
Malkoff Triple Drop_____,__Maglight AR glass,__________________545.8__,_180 sec_______,

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast

BigC, This is my favorite part.
2 Primaries = 456 out the front lumens----A direct drive P7
lovecpf

Wondering, are you trying to match/beat a 500 lumen light that you have?

First, I am not an electrical engineer.

Not much data out there on the R2 XP-E.
Some sources say 190Lm at 700mA.

Overdriven a bit… who knows?

I would like to comment on the advantages this triple MAY have over the other 2 drop-ins you mentioned.

1. Thick aluminum pill
2. Large contact area with the body of the light
3. Heat is generated in 3 separate spots, each of which is closer to the outside of the light than a quad die would be.
4. It's a triple XP-E (newer=better?)

Much respect to both of the other manufacturers.
Malkoff, simply makes awesome stuff.
Nailbender, brought quad die products to the p-60 world from his garage.
I am not competing with these guys. Just making a few of what you guys asked for.

This triple is simply an experiment I did because… it seemed like a cool idea, and hardly anyone was playing with xp-e stuff (or not talking about it)
My comment on 600 lumens is strictly based on 190 X 3 + a hair from overdriving the leds.

Is it 600 lumens? Is it 500 OTF lumens? Will it sustain output for 3 minutes. 30 minutes, 3 hours?

Maybe, maybe not… the P-60 host… is not the best with heat.
It is really versatile and fun to create a dozen different toys from one in the same evening.

I am excited to see some test results.

And, I don't know what the problem is in getting 500 OTF lumens from an emitter rated around 900.

Could be the power source, could be resistance in the circuit, could be instant overheating, could be...

I do know that when the XP-G gets here, I will have them in a triple ASAP. And it should be interesting.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

BigC, This is my favorite part.
lovecpf

Wondering, are you trying to match/beat a 500 lumen light that you have?

First, I am not an electrical engineer.

Not much data out there on the R2 XP-E.
Some sources say 190Lm at 700mA.

Overdriven a bit… who knows?

I would like to comment on the advantages this triple MAY have over the other 2 drop-ins you mentioned.

1. Thick aluminum pill
2. Large contact area with the body of the light
3. Heat is generated in 3 separate spots, each of which is closer to the outside of the light than a quad die would be.
4. It's a triple XP-E (newer=better?)

Much respect to both of the other manufacturers.
Malkoff, simply makes awesome stuff.
, brought quad die products to the p-60 world from his garage.

This triple is simply an experiment I did because… it seemed like a cool idea, and hardly anyone was playing with xp-e stuff (or not talking about it)
My comment on 600 lumens is strictly based on 190 X 3 + a hair from overdriving the leds.

Is it 600 lumens? Is it 500 OTF lumens? Will it sustain output for 3 minutes. 30 minutes, 3 hours?

Maybe, maybe not… the P-60 host… is not the best with heat.
It is really versatile and fun to create a dozen different toys from one in the same evening.

I am excited to see some test results.

And, I don't know what the problem is in getting 500 OTF lumens from an emitter rated around 900.

Could be the power source, could be resistance in the circuit, could be instant overheating, could be...

I do know that when the XP-G gets here, I will have them in a triple ASAP. And it should be interesting.

I will definitely be getting a P60 tripple from you. The cool factor just of 3 R2's is just:eek: amazing to say the least.

While I also tried overdriving an R2 XP-E at 1.4A in a Maglight 1D hosts made by Nailbender. With a sinlge IMR 18650 it made 170 lumens out the front. I then sent it back to him and he put a 1A driver and the lumens went up to 186 lumens. :confused::confused: :confused: this light is not the brightest I have, but the XP-E in a Mag build just throws. I would say it beats or gives my Tiablo A10 a good fight for throw.

Thank you for making this cool drop-in. I always liked the Malkoff Tripple R2 and always dreamed of how cool it would be if my Surefire 6P had 3 R2's. While thanks to you this will become a reality.

EDIT: Recently; my co-worker Kramer5150 made a P60 XP-E R2 at 1.4A and he got 204 lumens out the front.

Regards,
bigchelis

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Edit: typo post Please delete mods.

Last edited:

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Recently; my co-worker Kramer5150 made a P60 XP-E R2 at 1.4A and he got 204 lumens out the front.

This is a good sign.

Remember, part of the beauty of this setup is the efficiency at lower drive currents.

R2 - 114-122 lumens at 350mA

= 342-366 lumens at 1050mA with the triple.

More light than most drop-ins at a reasonable current draw, with less heat.

It's not just about max output.

But, bright stuff is nice to have.:twothumbs

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can you think of a way to fit a Tri-Flupic driver? Expensive, but it solves the parallel vs series wired LED issue. Runs the LEDs at a much higher drive current than I would prefer, but I suppose I could use the UI to dial down the output. Should work great with 1x18650.

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can you think of a way to fit a Tri-Flupic driver? Expensive, but it solves the parallel vs series wired LED issue. Runs the LEDs at a much higher drive current than I would prefer, but I suppose I could use the UI to dial down the output. Should work great with 1x18650.

The Tri flupic is too large. "making" it fit would require a different heatsink.

I just received confirmation from Wayne that the double SOB1000, or as you said, SOB1100 can be built.

I will now offer this as an option for 2 cell setups.

Thanks for the input.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

+

Moddoo PP sent for:

3-mode 8x7135 Driver, R2 WG ~ 10507 narrow lens

Transaction ID: ending w/ .....123801E

thanks..
icon3.gif

Last edited:

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast

+

Moddoo PP sent for:

3-mode 8x7135 Driver, R2 WG ~ 10507 narrow lens

Transaction ID: ending w/ .....123801E

thanks..
icon3.gif

Thank You Sir.

FYI to all
I am going to order a bunch of parts on monday 6-15.
Those who have ordered by then have the best chance of receiving their Drop-ins early.
:thumbsup:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

What's the driver being used in the new 3mode 6-13V Lumensfactory drop-in's? Anybody know?

Could 2 of those be put together I wonder? It's got a high, med, and low to it with memory. There is PMW on med and low.

Again I don't really know what I'm talking about but I am keeping an eye out.
I liked the SOBX2 idea but that killed the multi mode option. :shrug:

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast

What's the driver being used in the new 3mode 6-13V Lumensfactory drop-in's? Anybody know?

Could 2 of those be put together I wonder? It's got a high, med, and low to it with memory. There is PMW on med and low.

Again I don't really know what I'm talking about but I am keeping an eye out.
I liked the SOBX2 idea but that killed the multi mode option. :shrug:

Gotta be careful, running 2 multi mode drivers together, they will get out of sync eventually.

That's why the slave setup works, 1 is a multi mode, 1 is not.
the multi-mode is the brains.

I am working on this, but need any help anyone can offer.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

Ah OK, you see the up side of this is that I am learning something! :thumbsup: