• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired CUSTOM QUAD P60 XPG Drop-ins. Up to 1654 Lumen OTF!

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear that. How could that happen?
Left it in my hotel room while traveling. Called in about an hour later and though the room wasn't made up, the torch was gone. Should have filed a police report. Might have motivated hotel desk management to be a bit more inquisitive about its whereabouts.

Wilkey

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Hey Jessie, or anybody else in the know about these... Can I run this in a Surefire C3 on 3 primaries? Or would a C2 on an 18650 be better... I have an extra one of each body and am tring to decide which to sell..

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
Hey Jessie, or anybody else in the know about these... Can I run this in a Surefire C3 on 3 primaries? Or would a C2 on an 18650 be better... I have an extra one of each body and am tring to decide which to sell..

No, it would :poof:.

"Single Li-Ion cell operation (2 cell configuration NOT acceptable)"

brandocommando

Enlightened
Chrisdm, to better answer answer your question, no you should not attempt to run this dropin off primary cells (in any configuration.) The current draw (amps) is way too high and the batteries cannot handle the load. Also, the dropin itself has a maximum input voltage rating... If you put 2 CR123's together end to end (this is called "in series") you now have 6V instead of 3V. If you put 3 CR123's together in series, you get 9V.
This would be way more volts than what the dropin is rated for.
To get past the current draw and capacity issues this dropin presents, many people are running these off of a newer high capacity "26650" cell. These offer the voltage of a single Li-Ion cell, but with a little more capacity, and better max current draw ratings.
A popular 26650 host can be seen HERE. (What I'm using.) Another benefit to using this host aside from it using a bigger battery, is that the host itself is bigger, providing even more heatsinking.
And a good battery choice to go along with this host is THESE. (What I'm using also.)

EDIT: Chrisdm, also I see you have the 5.6 Amp version ordered... If you decide to run this on an 18650 setup, only use a very high quality 18650. Your dropin will be pulling down between 5-6 amps on high, which is ALOT. (This is nearing the max current draw limit of even the best 18650's.)
Cheap batteries do not like this much current draw and could "vent with flame." Which I am sure is not what you're after.
The 26650's that I posted the link to have a 10A normal discharge current rating, and a 20A max continous discharge rating, much better for this application.

Last edited:

LichtAn!

Enlightened
Hey Jesse,

since you don't respond to my PMs anymore, I'll just try to get your attention here. It would be very nice of you to tell me, what's actually happening now. No package arrived here after 6 weeks. I think it's pretty safe to say the package is lost and you should ask canada post for a refund. If they won't refund you anything we have to work something else out, but most important for me is that we finally work something out. I paid for the drop-in in february...

Regards still patient LichtAn!

Last edited:

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
I ended up getting the optics on Friday, I thought it would be sooner. I had a pretty busy weekend but I did manage to get everything together and shipped out this morning!

LichtAn, I don't know what happened, but I have responded to your last couple of PMs. I told you that there is no refund from Canada post, there is no insurance. I wanted to go through all the steps to find it with them, because building a new one for you will come right out of my pocket, but it does looks like it's in limbo somewhere at this point.

I asked in the PM what your configuration was, so I can build you a new one. This will be the only drop-in I will replace that has been lost with no-insurance shipping, as I just cannot afford to do that if it happens again. I've sent out about 80 drop-ins now, with this, the only one being lost, so no insurance shipping isn't a huge risk, but for future customers, please choose insured shipping if you're concerned about this. Unfortunately, for shipments outside US and Canada, the cheapest way I can insure it is with the E.M.S. shipping which is $60+, there is just nothing I can do about this. Getting UPS or FEDEX involved just brings in all kinds of brokerage fees and such for crossing borders.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Hey guys, before I bug Jessie about this, I want to ask the guys that own this drop-in.. I just got mine today and I can only get it to light up intermittently. It worked for a while, after I got just the right combination of torque on the tailcap & bezel.. but the combination was lost and I can't get it to light up again... I am using a C2 body with AW 18650 battery, Cryos Cooling Bezel and Z41 tailcap with a FETtie installed... I don't have lots of experience with this stuff but I have installed a few cheap drop-ins before and never had this much challenge.. Yet I suppose its just some trick I'm not catching and hoping you guys can point it out to me... Thanks!

brandocommando

Enlightened
You might be tripping the protection circut on your battery, 5.6A is alot of current. After that, it may be that the FETtie is non making a good connection with the tailcap, or the spring is too short and not touching the battery (maybe add a washer but be careful with that FETtie, they are expensive and fragile!) Screw everything in tight, and make sure the tailcap is screwed on to the body as far as it can go. If the spring is not long enough to hit the battery, you could also add a thin magnet.

Jesse, AWESOME NEWS!!! I had a feeling that is what you were up to this weekend!! Thanks!

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Thanks Brando. Turns out its the switch... I pulled a couple McCLickys I had in other caps & it works fine.

polarion

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Brando. Turns out its the switch... I pulled a couple McCLickys I had in other caps & it works fine.

I have the same setup! Host , bezel , tailcap , FETtie , and drop in!
After receiving the 5,6Amp 3 Level Quad and FETtie from Jesse I was about to install them into the host.
I had the same problem with flickering. It turned out to be the tiny button cell inside the FETtie that was out of position. Repositioned the cell and the flashlight has functioned perfectly ever since! (3 months ago)

All my six AW 18650 2900mAh batteries works perfectly with the 5,6A Quad without tripping the protection circuit.

Last edited:

LichtAn!

Enlightened
I ended up getting the optics on Friday, I thought it would be sooner. I had a pretty busy weekend but I did manage to get everything together and shipped out this morning!

LichtAn, I don't know what happened, but I have responded to your last couple of PMs. I told you that there is no refund from Canada post, there is no insurance. I wanted to go through all the steps to find it with them, because building a new one for you will come right out of my pocket, but it does looks like it's in limbo somewhere at this point.

I asked in the PM what your configuration was, so I can build you a new one. This will be the only drop-in I will replace that has been lost with no-insurance shipping, as I just cannot afford to do that if it happens again. I've sent out about 80 drop-ins now, with this, the only one being lost, so no insurance shipping isn't a huge risk, but for future customers, please choose insured shipping if you're concerned about this. Unfortunately, for shipments outside US and Canada, the cheapest way I can insure it is with the E.M.S. shipping which is $60+, there is just nothing I can do about this. Getting UPS or FEDEX involved just brings in all kinds of brokerage fees and such for crossing borders.

Actually I didn't recieve a single PM. You're not on my ignore list and my inbox isn't full either. You might have to add that I paid for insurance in the first place, but it turned it to be much more expensive than written in your thread. To make it even worse CPF was down at that time. To keep the communication up this time, we might just use this thread here.

My configuration was 5.6A Aluminium, L-M-H, Khatod but you might as well use a Carclo plain tight. Whatever you have in stock atm. Regarding the shipping costs please shoot me an email to
emailmc.jpg

Last edited:

Chrisdm

Enlightened
I have the same setup! Host , bezel , tailcap , FETtie , and drop in!
After receiving the 5,6Amp 3 Level Quad and FETtie from Jesse I was about to install them into the host.
I had the same problem with flickering. It turned out to be the tiny button cell inside the FETtie that was out of position. Repositioned the cell and the flashlight has functioned perfectly ever since! (3 months ago)

All my six AW 18650 2900mAh batteries works perfectly with the 5,6A Quad without tripping the protection circut.

Thats great to know.. I just pulled the switch apart to check the battery, and the battery fell out... Does it go in positive side down? Thanks so much for your help.

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
Newer version FETtie's aren't too fragile, you can bounce one off some concrete now and it'll still be fine.

Chris, did you use the switch boot provided with the FETtie? You can't use the surefire boot already in the Z41, when you screw the switch in there isn't enough room for the button, it will depress as it's screwed in and the light will not turn on, or maybe flicker if you got it just right, as you said. Sounds to me like this is what is happening.

Positive side up for the coin cell placement inside the FETtie. I did test your switch Chris before it left, should be working fine.

Tobias, I'll send you an email about the shipping, and build you another L-M-H Khatod Aluminum drop-in, I'll let you know when it's ready.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Newer version FETtie's aren't too fragile, you can bounce one off some concrete now and it'll still be fine.

Chris, did you use the switch boot provided with the FETtie? You can't use the surefire boot already in the Z41, when you screw the switch in there isn't enough room for the button, it will depress as it's screwed in and the light will not turn on, or maybe flicker if you got it just right, as you said. Sounds to me like this is what is happening.

Positive side up for the coin cell placement inside the FETtie. I did test your switch Chris before it left, should be working fine.

Jessie, I just double checked the placement of the battery, and tried every color boot you sent me, and the light will not run with your switch... The light runs fine with either of my McCLickys... Can you please send me another one?

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
No problem, I'd like that one back though to see what the problem is, as it was working when I tested it. When I received a PM from you saying that it worked fine in another tailcap, I figured that the surefire boot was the cause of the problem. If the battery was placed in the wrong way, that may have been the death of it.

I'll send out another one tomorrow.

Last edited:

Chrisdm

Enlightened
No problem, I'd like that one back though to see what the problem is, as it was working when I tested it. When I received a PM from you saying that it worked fine in another tailcap, I figured that the surefire boot was the cause of the problem. If the battery was placed in the wrong way, that may have been the death of it.

I'll send out another one tomorrow.

Thanks so much Jessie, I'll return the one I cant get to work... Pls check your PM before you send, I have another purchase/proposition for you as well... Thanks again!

brandocommando

Enlightened
:party: My Quad and FETtie got here today! Thanks Jessie!
The pictures don't do these justice IMO, You can literally feel the quality in these drop-ins. My 5.6A copper is one hefty little unit!

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received my drop-in today and I am very pleased. That is one freakin' substantial slug of copper. Wow. And as for output, 4 x R4 @ 5.6A, nuff said :rock::rock::rock: The 5000K color is perfect, absolutely perfect to my eyes. About as pure a neutral as can be. Well worth the upcharge.

Thank you for an amazing product, Jesse. I'm a man with a fistful of IMRs and I ain't afraid to use 'em. :cool:

Wilkey