• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired CUSTOM QUAD P60 XPG Drop-ins. Up to 1654 Lumen OTF!

texas cop

Enlightened
Doing a bit more playing around, it mounts and works well under a shotgun. At 4.1" long in the L2m it'll fit under a few pistols of mine, just not brave enough to try it out. Handgun shock is a bit more than shotguns, I'm just not brave enough to hope it survives the jolt. Single imr 18350 appears a bit brighter than the AW 18650 3100. Running 2-3 minutes on high at a time it only gets warm.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still think a quad neutral XP-C @5.6a would be awesome.

I'll bug u about building me one in a few months once I save some $ up ;)

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
I've had some of my PMs disappear on me, and have been told that some of the PMs I returned have disappeared as well. If you were expecting a reply through PM and did not receive one please PM me again.

Fabienne, the Multi-Mode Septa is still maximum 4.5V, for single cell use only.

Thanks Bugsy!

Sounds good MrSypher, whenever you're ready.

Texas Cop, I know that the drop-in and FETtie both survive well on psychbeat's handlebars as he hurls down a mountain. Been a long time since I used to do the same, and nowhere near as intense I'm sure, but I can tell you there's sure a lot of shock and vibration going on no matter how much travel your suspension has!
I wouldn't be worried to try it out. If anything ever fails I'd gladly fix it, free of charge.

psychbeat, unfortunately the XP-C is only rated to 500mA. I wonder how long it'll be until we have an XP-C sized LED die making S2 bin light output @1.5A. Then we'll have some serious throw on a quad!

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everyone (well saabluster and Nailbender) are running XP-C @ 1.7a w no problem.

Might be worth a try!

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
If you're interested I will build you one, but I think it'd be much better off at a moderate overdrive of 700mA, or 1A at the most. At 1.4A the voltage of the LED will be very high. I'd be quite surprised to see anything much over 1A from a single Li-Ion cell.

The forward current vs luminous flux curve also looks like it would be almost flat near 1.7A.

The thermal resistance of a white XP-C is 12C/W. At 1.7A * 3.8V = 6.46W * 12 = 77.52C. If you add 1.5 C/W for the MCPCB you get 95.52C. This means the LED die will be 95.52C hotter than the heatsink! If the heatsink is room temp at 21C your LED die is at 116.52C, as soon as your heatsink heats up to 50 or 60C, which is completely normal and pretty quick with a 20W+ P60 drop-in, you're over the 150C junction temp.

You could use one at that current in short bursts with a single die P60, but it still wouldn't get full current from a single cell. It would need a buck driver driven from 5+ Volts. For anything longer than a short burst you'd want a direct mount to a large piece of copper and never allow the heatsink to go over 30C.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm I'll have to do more research.
I thought the VF went down with more current/heat?

Maybe the XP-E is a better choice still for slightly improved throw in a quad. I thought the XP-C performed similarly to the XP-E but smaller n more lux.
I think the DEFT EDC's is direct to copper w no star.
The Nailbenders are on star tho.

Have you built an XP-E quad yet? ;)

FETtie is still going strong after a TON of night riding this winter.
Drop-in is holding up well too!!
I superglued the optic back on after pulling it off accidentally on a swap.

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
Vf goes down with heat, but up with current.

Maybe the XP-C performs better in tests than the datasheet would have you believe. I haven't done any myself so I can't say for certain.

For adhesive around LEDs silicone is your best bet. The solvents in superglue can put a haze on the LED domes as it off-gases, for future reference.

I haven't had an order for an XP-E quad yet, but I am putting together an XP-E Septa for someone right now.

yifu

Enlightened

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
Due to a large amount of varying factors in test setups the best reference for performance is here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-and-other-Drop-Ins-a-mini-review-photo-heavy!

If you`re using a FETtie with an IMR/INR cell the silver plated Quad is quite a bit brighter than anything else you can fit into a P60 socket.

The Pros for an XPE quad are lower price and smaller size.

The Septa takes the cake in every other category I can think of. You can use regular (non IMR/INR) cells with a Quad in a pinch if you have to, but you could also do the same with a multi-mode Septa on medium or low mode. If you tried to go into high the battery voltage would drop too low because of the non high current chemistry, and the Septa would register a dead battery, dropping into low mode with intermittent blink. Good protection in case you accidentally tried to draw 10A from a regular LiCo cell.

Last edited:

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you advise me the best setup (optics) for the quad 5.6amps S2 with copper heat sink ? Is it the Carlo tight optic. Is this available to purchase with a Fetie switch. What is the lead time from payment to dispatch?

Thanks

Last edited:

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
Hi mohanjude.

My favourite optic for the Quad is the Carclo tight. It's definitely the most popular, most light output, and smoothest beam.

Either a FETtie switch or HC-Twisty switch is highly recommended with any Quad. You won't get the most out of it without one.

I am just finishing up a Septa for another customer, should have it all wrapped up tomorrow. After that I don't (yet) have anything planned. If I start your order tomorrow as I finish up the Septa I should have it done and shipped by Thursday or Friday.

rkJr

Enlightened
Due to a large amount of varying factors in test setups the best reference for performance is here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-and-other-Drop-Ins-a-mini-review-photo-heavy!

If you`re using a FETtie with an IMR/INR cell the silver plated Quad is quite a bit brighter than anything else you can fit into a P60 socket.

The Pros for an XPE quad are lower price and smaller size.

The Septa takes the cake in every other category I can think of. You can use regular (non IMR/INR) cells with a Quad in a pinch if you have to, but you could also do the same with a multi-mode Septa on medium or low mode. If you tried to go into high the battery voltage would drop too low because of the non high current chemistry, and the Septa would register a dead battery, dropping into low mode with intermittent blink. Good protection in case you accidentally tried to draw 10A from a regular LiCo cell.

Thanks, sounds like I want one of each. Would order a quad for a pocket rocket lego I'm building with a five mega 3p host bored out for 16340/18350 rechargeables. Will pm you with further details to lock this down.

yifu

Enlightened
Does anyone know if the newer Surefire Z2X series lights can be taken apart and fitted with P60 drop ins?
Nope, i don't think so, the heads are glued to the body. And even if you boiled the head and managed to take it apart you won't be able to use this drop-in as you can't fit a 18650 in there, and not even a 17670 fits in there anymore from what i hear. There are still plenty of older 18650 bored Z2s for sale on Overready, cpfmp or on bugsy's threads so why not grab one of those?

rkJr

Enlightened
:paypal: sent for this order:

copper sink, S2 quad LMH, 5.6A.
Carclo tight
Fetie switch
+ USA Shipping with insurance/confirmation.....

Thanks!

Paul